Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Big Red Weekend Father's Day Sale

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2016 10:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3234 posts
1383 upvotes
Quebec
Anything about Exterior Paint?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3583 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
Permah wrote: People like you are honestly the worst. You don't look at the price, you don't look at the boards inside. You just feel the need to jump into the conversation so that you feel like you accomplished something in life.
Easy there junior. It's just an internet forum. I typed 3 words and that's the reaction it solicits from you? People like me are the worst? Wow.

I was merely commenting based on my and countless others experiences with the brand known as RCA.

Someone got their feelings hurt.
May 31, 2016
613 posts
602 upvotes
sinankeser wrote: Learn how to read. People are saying to buy a new item and return the same new item using the old receipt. There is no fraud here or loss to the merchant even, common sense would tell you that... but someone who explains their incorrect statement with "Because it is. " is clearly not a reasonable person.
Right. My posting how CT takes this seriously and how they track people doing this and the results of those actions is being unreasonable. Your overly defensive response, on the other hand, is completely normal.

Hey, it's your criminal record, do as you please. But if the serial number of the item you are returning doesn't match the number tied to the receipt you can face repercussions. Cost/Benefit analysis: Is whatever little you might gain worth the potential risk in doing so? That's up to you. Me? I'm not going to commit fraud, even if I'm trying to argue it is for the benefit of the merchant.
May 31, 2016
613 posts
602 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: Against the law? Interesting, but in this case, we're returning the NEW item with the old receipt and not the other way around.
Old receipt still within return period but CT doesn't honor price protection which doesn't make sense.

Once I had to argue with the lady at the return counter, she would rather have me return the old item and rebuy it... and when I asked what prevents me from performing the above and she said none but because she knows it, she won't let me do it *facepalm*, so I bought the item and drove to the another CT to return it using the old receipt...

Sometimes they'll just do a refund on the old receipt and make me rebuy it as opposed to issuing an partial refund, so why they didn't want to do it that time, I don't get it.
A lot of these Big Box stores are more interested in the example than the dollars and cents. That's why they have the signs that they prosecute all shop lifting and have police frogmarch employees out of break rooms. It costs the store more dollar wise to do it, but they feel the example made is worth the cost to prevent future attempts.

I'm not saying you will be busted for it, I'm saying you could.
Dec 5, 2011
579 posts
496 upvotes
Toronto
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote: Right. My posting how CT takes this seriously and how they track people doing this and the results of those actions is being unreasonable.
Where did you explain how they track people? You made a silly unsubstantiated claim about how they track serial numbers. Do you see CT cashiers opening up boxes and recording serial numbers? UPC codes are not unique.

No ones buying your silly fear mongering. It's not fraud because there is no gain or loss to either party in this transaction. IF you buy item A on day 1 and then buy another item A on day 2, then you return one of those items on day 3 to the store, do you think the store would care whether or not you're returning the one you bought on day 1 or day 2? Maybe you should use your own "COST/BENEFIT ANALYSIS" and apply it to a merchant or the police prosecuting for fraud lolol...
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote: Right. My posting how CT takes this seriously and how they track people doing this and the results of those actions is being unreasonable. Your overly defensive response, on the other hand, is completely normal.

Hey, it's your criminal record, do as you please. But if the serial number of the item you are returning doesn't match the number tied to the receipt you can face repercussions. Cost/Benefit analysis: Is whatever little you might gain worth the potential risk in doing so? That's up to you. Me? I'm not going to commit fraud, even if I'm trying to argue it is for the benefit of the merchant.
CT doesn't give a ***** cuz they are so stupid to not price protect their products. So people just buy the item on sale, and return the other item.

Ever wonder why Costco and Home Depot is doing so great? Cuz they are both smart companies about customer service, quality service and common sense return policy. Not stupid like Canadian Tire and Best Buy/Future Shop.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CT does track SN on car batteries for warranty purpose but that's about it?
May 31, 2016
613 posts
602 upvotes
sinankeser wrote: Where did you explain how they track people? You made a silly unsubstantiated claim about how they track serial numbers. Do you see CT cashiers opening up boxes and recording serial numbers? UPC codes are not unique.

No ones buying your silly fear mongering. It's not fraud because there is no gain or loss to either party in this transaction. IF you buy item A on day 1 and then buy another item A on day 2, then you return one of those items on day 3 to the store, do you think the store would care whether or not you're returning the one you bought on day 1 or day 2? Maybe you should use your own "COST/BENEFIT ANALYSIS" and apply it to a merchant or the police prosecuting for fraud lolol...
:rolleyes:
Dec 18, 2009
103 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
sinankeser wrote: Learn how to read. People are saying to buy a new item and return the same new item using the old receipt. There is no fraud here or loss to the merchant even, common sense would tell you that... but someone who explains their incorrect statement with "Because it is. " is clearly not a reasonable person.
You beat me to it. Reading gaff on his part.
May 31, 2016
613 posts
602 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: CT does track SN on car batteries for warranty purpose but that's about it?
The incident I'm thinking of was about 8 years ago in response to a large increase in people doing this for profit in Ottawa. Might have been a one time thing as a deterrent. Maybe they never did it again, maybe they do it regularly on the down low now. I dunno. Don't care enough to research more about it.
Dec 18, 2009
103 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote: A lot of these Big Box stores are more interested in the example than the dollars and cents. That's why they have the signs that they prosecute all shop lifting and have police frogmarch employees out of break rooms. It costs the store more dollar wise to do it, but they feel the example made is worth the cost to prevent future attempts.

I'm not saying you will be busted for it, I'm saying you could.
Your concern is noted but not necessary in this case. There is nothing criminal about it. Returning the item that is brand new never used with a different receipt is far different than returning an item that has been used.

How do you think that conversation would go if they called the police and intended to prosecute?

Candian Tire: "Officer, arrest this person, they are attempting to return an item with the wrong receipt."

RFD'er: "Sorry officer, I must have grabbed the wrong receipt. Here is the correct one".

Officer: "You called us for this ish?"
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1401 posts
665 upvotes
Toronto
You must have come from a different country.
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote: Right. My posting how CT takes this seriously and how they track people doing this and the results of those actions is being unreasonable. Your overly defensive response, on the other hand, is com
pletely normal.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
Guys...does anyone own the pressure washer? I'd love to hear any personal experiences you have with it, based on performance and reliability.

Thanks!
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
May 31, 2016
613 posts
602 upvotes
Sinnister wrote: Your concern is noted but not necessary in this case. There is nothing criminal about it. Returning the item that is brand new never used with a different receipt is far different than returning an item that has been used.

How do you think that conversation would go if they called the police and intended to prosecute?

Candian Tire: "Officer, arrest this person, they are attempting to return an item with the wrong receipt."

RFD'er: "Sorry officer, I must have grabbed the wrong receipt. Here is the correct one".

Officer: "You called us for this ish?"
I hope other users on the forums take note of this. I've liked the post. This is how you have a discussion. No name calling, no insulting, a simple post expressing a differing opinion that is respectful and furthers the conversation. If more people posted like this in reply to messages they don't agree with, and less with some of the hostile remarks seen in this and other threads, maybe the most common answer in the recent thread asking about less content in the forums wouldn't be flaming, thread crapping, and trolls.

As for the content of the post, I'm not saying you will be busted. I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to get out of it by saying you brought the wrong receipt. Another user posted that it is still fraud. Yet another user questioned that. I supported the user who said it was because,technically, it is - you are intentionally misleading someone for gain. Whether you or others feel it is victimless/morally acceptable is beside the point. Whether anyone would actually try to do anything about it is also moot to that point. It is what it is. I wouldn't do it but, as I said before, everyone else is free to their own opinions and actions.
Jan 2, 2012
700 posts
199 upvotes
SASKATOON
sinankeser wrote: Where did you explain how they track people? You made a silly unsubstantiated claim about how they track serial numbers. Do you see CT cashiers opening up boxes and recording serial numbers? UPC codes are not unique.

Just because you don't think it's hurting the merchant doesn't mean it's not fraud. You are correct that it's better for them to have the new one than your used one, though depending on store policy it might not make a difference in the end. When you go in to the store with a receipt and the product to return it, you're making a material representation that the product you are returning is the one you purchased with that receipt.
Dec 18, 2009
103 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
DWinSask wrote: Just because you don't think it's hurting the merchant doesn't mean it's not fraud. You are correct that it's better for them to have the new one than your used one, though depending on store policy it might not make a difference in the end. When you go in to the store with a receipt and the product to return it, you're making a material representation that the product you are returning is the one you purchased with that receipt.
Not really.

Its far too easy for legitimate errors to be identified as fraud if this with the case.

It's why when you return something at Walmart, they check your receipt, check the item for defects or use, and issue you a refund or exchange without checking the serial number. Can you imagine the corporate embarrassment if they prosecuted somebody and it turned out to be simple human error? Imagine if the news got wind of it?

Returning a used item with a receipt for a new item may reach the threshold of fraud.

Returning an new item with the receipt for a used item is an irritant. It's far too difficult to prove fraud and not human error.
Jan 2, 2012
700 posts
199 upvotes
SASKATOON
Sinnister wrote: Not really.

Its far too easy for legitimate errors to be identified as fraud if this with the case.

It's why when you return something at Walmart, they check your receipt, check the item for defects or use, and issue you a refund or exchange without checking the serial number. Can you imagine the corporate embarrassment if they prosecuted somebody and it turned out to be simple human error? Imagine if the news got wind of it?

Returning a used item with a receipt for a new item may reach the threshold of fraud.

Returning an new item with the receipt for a used item is an irritant. It's far too difficult to prove fraud and not human error.
Legitimate errors aren't fraud. Fraud requires intent and knowledge. If I sell you a bike and say there's nothing wrong with it, I'm making a material declaration as to the state of the bike. If there's a crack in the frame that I didn't know about and it falls apart on you in a month, that isn't fraud; it's a mistake. If I know there's a crack in the frame and claim otherwise, that's fraud.

If you legitimately grab the wrong receipt when returning something, no fraud. If you intentionally use the incorrect receipt to return an item in contravention of the contract you entered when you purchased that item, that's fraud.