Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbell, Single - $169.99 (35% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2022 3:51 am
Jul 7, 2019
789 posts
651 upvotes
The 52.5lbs is just not versatile enough for me, no broflex. It's too bad the 1090s never go on sale.
Sportchek has the CoreFX 71.5LB for $400/pair. Reviews seem decent, wondering if anyone has tried both and can comment?
Dec 17, 2013
489 posts
889 upvotes
British Columbia
Triad wrote: Maybe just maybe your passive aggressive reply quoting me...
There's no game of chances.
All was offered to another viewpoint. Nor asked for a recommendation which you vicariously suggusting 1090s
which used still go for around 1k and stops at 90s for no reason and state being too cheap when my viewpoint on the mechs failing and lacking options... Before we get off topic ahem.

Have you even seen the complaints and threads on lifting Reddit's etc or done any research on the dial mechanisms failing? With room for expansion, and a tougher core for handle you can load the 18" up to 200s a side and do more than just curls for gurls like rows, squats, Dead's.
Also I train to failure so there's no back up plan. I am the backup plan.

S-B-D
635 - 400 comp pause, 415 tng - 635
You need a video? Lol
Funny your username so close to toshikis175, one of the jp oly lol, just saw his 321kg squat 0.0
yes i'm asking for video
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6738 posts
6431 upvotes
Ottawa
Triad wrote: Here's a different perspective:
Dont be lazy just get a self adjustable DB set over the auto adjust. (+Durability +HIGHER#)
You will learn MATH real quick if that isn't your strong suit.

Heres the alt I am looking at @ fitness depot (there seems to be almost 1 in every MAJOR city)

27.28$ ... 2 x 18" handle bars + collars = 9.88 x 2 + 1.88 x 4
0 100$ ... per lb olympic weights = 4x 25lb = 50 per side
112.5$ ...1.5$ per lb standard for 4x 10s /6 x 5s/ 2x 2.5s (yes any normal lifter can do most exercises where one side of the dumbbell is 2.5 - 5# off setted XOR uneven plates)
Assuming the handle is 10-15#.
This set gets you a range from 10/15# (side) TO 97.5 - 102.5# (side) 18" bars = a whole lot of room to get more poundage than the above. Room to expand.
The above will run you 239.78 before taxes for 2 SIDES.

The bowflex 5-52# will run you 339.98 (169.99 x 2) - 8$ - 51$ (0.15 / $prorated for the 400+ purchase get 60 back) = 280.98 BT with less durability and HALF the weight amount.
Given the fitness depot price of 239.78 / 2 (for half the weight) = $119.89 which is 57% less than the bowflex.
Ew what is wrong with you.

Get adjustable. So much easier and faster. Screw the.collar crap - been there done that.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2110 posts
5297 upvotes
North York ON
toshis wrote: yes i'm asking for video
"Also I train to failure so there's no back up plan. I am the backup plan." - Triad

That is cringe. Common for PLers to take themselves too seriously. We just pick things up and put them down.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3943 posts
3255 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Keith1411 wrote: "Also I train to failure so there's no back up plan. I am the backup plan." - Triad

That is cringe. Common for PLers to take themselves too seriously. We just pick things up and put them down.
I called myself a PLer because I was always too lazy to cut.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
3943 posts
3255 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
bodybuilding.com dumb-bro question but has to be asked:
I always though pec flexing that I saw in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was impossible. Got it after like a month of lifting as a teen. Is this useful for anything? lol...Probably should have asked this as a teen on bb.com/Elitefitness where it might have been more age and intellectually appropriate. But here we are...I think I had more shame as a teenager vs. an adult lol, clearly.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3977 posts
1355 upvotes
YWG
Konowl wrote:
Ew what is wrong with you.

Get adjustable. So much easier and faster. Screw the.collar crap - been there done that.
The moral of the story is never get these adjustables.
There was 552 the dial mechs failed all and every knowledgable lifter knows to avoid these as it's all reviewed over the net. I suppose you aren't losing since the set that was used was bot at Costco.
There were also ironmasters at the gym and was exchanged 2x before they went and got regular DB.

Just offering my 2c. You don't have to take it the reviews are all over the net and since I had personal experience.

ADenariusSaved wrote:
I called myself a PLer because I was always too lazy to cut.
I call myself the fit tea expert Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes joke
toshis wrote: yes i'm asking for video
ygpm xquse the lovely editing Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9996 posts
1339 upvotes
Off topic but is fitness depot the best place to purchase a set of powerblock urethane 50s? Just not a fan of bowflexs dumbell for personal reasons.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6738 posts
6431 upvotes
Ottawa
Triad wrote: The moral of the story is never get these adjustables.
True - Powerblocks are better.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6738 posts
6431 upvotes
Ottawa
mcg wrote: Off topic but is fitness depot the best place to purchase a set of powerblock urethane 50s? Just not a fan of bowflexs dumbell for personal reasons.
I ended up getting mine from there yah. You can find them cheaper other places but it's the shipping.....
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3977 posts
1355 upvotes
YWG
Yeh I agree , The OG power blocks with 150 x10sions that used to go for 1000 used many years for the set which are now discontinued were pretty well built.
Now it's be even difficult to find the set for 3k.

Ironmasters are the best in market in durability to 120s, still paying an exorbant fee
maybe the ones I had access to was faulty

552s are as bad as some of the clones the mechanisms fail just like Samsung electronics, when it works it works til warranty over or out.of.nowhere glitching .Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

I have a fair bit of experience with these adjustables and cannot rave how bad they were enough especiallyat that price premo
Konowl wrote: True - Powerblocks are better.
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Oct 21, 2007
491 posts
82 upvotes
Halifax
Just an FYI, Costco still has these 552's on sale, with the storage rack, for 489+tax, free delivery.

I bought a set, to complement my Ironax leverage gym (which I love), and really like them so far. Really nice having the stand for them. The 52.5 pound weight of them is enough for most of what I need them for.

I can appreciate that folks who work out a lot more might need the heavier set.

And lastly, the thing that sealed the deal, was the fact that its from costco. These are obviously well known for breaking, and if they do, yes I will simply return them. I'm hoping that doesn't happen as they are really nice and I'm happy to keep them for the long run.
Temp. Banned
Apr 28, 2010
1117 posts
1869 upvotes
richmond hill
Showing 279 everywhere near me :(
Mar 8, 2007
717 posts
934 upvotes
I dunno why people are knocking these so much. For the money it's a good deal.

Yes the mechanism that changes plates is plastic. Yes it might break.

You can fix it. YouTube it. Theres even a guy who figured out how to replace the handle with his own metal ones (it's pretty $$$$ to do that though)

There are also people who have used these regularly and never had them break.

If you want a similarly adjustable weight that is more sturdy theres lots of options but they are more $$

Please note. If you are buying them and you have any chance to try one out first then do so (you might find a fitness store that has them unboxed?)

The reason why I say that is the movement to re rack the dumbbell takes a little skill to line up just right and this might turn you off to them.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1075 posts
1289 upvotes
NB
louis77 wrote: Showing 279 everywhere near me :(
Same.

Weider adjustable 10-50 lbs are on sale for $170 - are these any good?
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1019 posts
331 upvotes
GTA
Triad wrote: Here's a different perspective:
Dont be lazy just get a self adjustable DB set over the auto adjust. (+Durability +HIGHER#)
You will learn MATH real quick if that isn't your strong suit.

Heres the alt I am looking at @ fitness depot (there seems to be almost 1 in every MAJOR city)

27.28$ ... 2 x 18" handle bars + collars = 9.88 x 2 + 1.88 x 4
0 100$ ... per lb olympic weights = 4x 25lb = 50 per side
112.5$ ...1.5$ per lb standard for 4x 10s /6 x 5s/ 2x 2.5s (yes any normal lifter can do most exercises where one side of the dumbbell is 2.5 - 5# off setted XOR uneven plates)
Assuming the handle is 10-15#.
This set gets you a range from 10/15# (side) TO 97.5 - 102.5# (side) 18" bars = a whole lot of room to get more poundage than the above. Room to expand.
The above will run you 239.78 before taxes for 2 SIDES.

The bowflex 5-52# will run you 339.98 (169.99 x 2) - 8$ - 51$ (0.15 / $prorated for the 400+ purchase get 60 back) = 280.98 BT with less durability and HALF the weight amount.
Given the fitness depot price of 239.78 / 2 (for half the weight) = $119.89 which is 57% less than the bowflex.

" Don't be lazy" you're definitely new to RFD.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1019 posts
331 upvotes
GTA
Keith1411 wrote: Here's a different perspective:
Don't be cheap. Enjoy not needing to tighten the collars after every set and having to dck around with little plates after every exercise. +Efficiency, +Focus
If 552s are too light, get the 1090s as well.

I used to use those York sets.
"Don't be cheap" another new comer to RFD, even if it's free, that's too much money for some people with a starbucks coffee in hand. lol, I get your point tho