Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Breville The Dose Control Pro Burr Coffee Grinder - $143.93 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2021 12:54 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
1231 posts
894 upvotes
Slightly off topic - for those interested in trying a burr grinder but don't want to over commit, I recommend trying a manual (hand-powered) burr grinder first. I got an off brand one from Amazon (probably some China made brand) for like $25 and it's served me well for the past year. The coffee grind comes out pretty consistent and even my french press taste great. I used to go to McDonald's but now I just stay home and make my own because honestly it tastes better.

And then when you're ready, I guess move up to these electric ones? Personally I don't mind the daily grind (pun intended), it's only a minute or two of hand spinning. Bonus exercise even.
RFD: Pick any two.
  • In stock
  • Low Price
  • Quality Product
Feb 4, 2021
12 posts
5 upvotes
Wondering if I should upgrade to this from the Bodum burr grinder I've had for 3 months...

Maybe I should just save up for the Baratza Encore. I don't know!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1114 posts
125 upvotes
ebms5000 wrote: Wondering if I should upgrade to this from the Bodum burr grinder I've had for 3 months...

What's wrong with the Bodum? Mine has been reliable in the almost 8 years of using it daily.
Jun 18, 2017
454 posts
299 upvotes
bluespecv wrote: Also.

25x on Beverage Makers Receive 25X times Bonus e-CT ‘Money’
Collect 25x Bonus Canadian Tire Money on Beverage Makers at Canadian Tire, online and in-store. Online transactions must be fulfilled by the store during the offer period to qualify. Offer is valid on: Coffee Accessories, Coffee Grinders, Coffee Makers, Cold Beverage Machines, Espresso, Electric Kettles, Soda Stream Machines & Carbonators, Draft Beer Systems, Bonne O Beverage Systems & Carbonators. The offer is not valid on “As Seen on TV” products. *

*In the form of electronic Canadian Tire Money (CT Money®). This offer has no cash value, must be activated by the Member to be valid and is for one-time use only, unless otherwise specified. Bonus offer is a multiple of the base rate at which Canadian Tire Money is earned on purchases at Canadian Tire stores. Proof of membership must be presented at time of purchase. No rain checks. Please see program terms & conditions for full details.
I got offers for just about everything but this beverage maker one. Even looked in the swap option and nothing there which sucks.
Jun 18, 2017
454 posts
299 upvotes
For those who bought. How much space is there from the discharge chute to the bottom? Just wanna see how big of a container can fit under there? Right now grinding into one of those reclosable instant coffee container thing so hoping that will fit under this.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1689 posts
896 upvotes
Quebec
Idlehands wrote: Slightly off topic - for those interested in trying a burr grinder but don't want to over commit, I recommend trying a manual (hand-powered) burr grinder first. I got an off brand one from Amazon (probably some China made brand) for like $25 and it's served me well for the past year. The coffee grind comes out pretty consistent and even my french press taste great. I used to go to McDonald's but now I just stay home and make my own because honestly it tastes better.

And then when you're ready, I guess move up to these electric ones? Personally I don't mind the daily grind (pun intended), it's only a minute or two of hand spinning. Bonus exercise even.
You're right, the Timemore C2 @ $100 and the 1Zpresso JX @ $180 (better build quality than the Timemore) would be great choices. If you want to use your grinder for espresso too, get the 1Zpresso JX-PRO @ $218.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4330 posts
2226 upvotes
ebms5000 wrote: Wondering if I should upgrade to this from the Bodum burr grinder I've had for 3 months...

Bodum burr isn't a bad grinder for the price (especially when on sale). For drip coffee and such it's fine and no sense "upgrading" unless you're unhappy with the bodum.

I've debated the same, but the bodum has served me well for ~5 years, and I think I paid like $60 for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4330 posts
2226 upvotes
Zaptor99 wrote: Does this not come with a container to catch the ground coffee to use for drip, etc?
I should have added to my last post, sorry - given the open design of the front you can grind directly into your filter (or filter in brew basket, if it's removable) or your own container.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2004
790 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Homer001 wrote: For those who bought. How much space is there from the discharge chute to the bottom? Just wanna see how big of a container can fit under there? Right now grinding into one of those reclosable instant coffee container thing so hoping that will fit under this.
~11cm of space under the discharge chute, and you can also remove the drip tray to add ~3cm more.
Sep 30, 2019
111 posts
127 upvotes
ba35sta wrote: Does this one have the plastic grinder?
it has metal conical burrs
Zaptor99 wrote: Does this not come with a container to catch the ground coffee to use for drip, etc?
you grind directly into your filter, container, or portafilter (but would not actually advise using this one for espresso)

no, would not consider this a real upgrade. for all applications but espresso, the bodum and this level of grinder are good, and pretty similar
Homer001 wrote: For those who bought. How much space is there from the discharge chute to the bottom? Just wanna see how big of a container can fit under there? Right now grinding into one of those reclosable instant coffee container thing so hoping that will fit under this.
Endiz wrote: ~11cm of space under the discharge chute, and you can also remove the drip tray to add ~3cm more.
this will easily fit up to a 32oz container, but will depend upon shape. the height is good, but not crazy tall. the offset of the chute from the machine gives you a fair amount of space to play with, but you may find yourself angling the receptacle in under the spout.
there will still be static issues, depending on the bean and receptacle used.

i have been using this as my main, non-espresso grinder in the house and am quite happy with the results.

setting the dose and pushing the button to get the same, repeated dose is super handy in the morning. i have used this for french press, drip, pourover, and re-usable keurig.
once you find the amount per dose that gives you the coffee you want, it is pretty much foolproof.
the only adjustments needed might be between beans, if you switch varietals or significant roast differences
[OP]
Nov 1, 2004
790 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
afong636807717107645200 wrote:

setting the dose and pushing the button to get the same, repeated dose is super handy in the morning. i have used this for french press, drip, pourover, and re-usable keurig.
once you find the amount per dose that gives you the coffee you want, it is pretty much foolproof.
the only adjustments needed might be between beans, if you switch varietals or significant roast differences
This is very promising! How much maintenance is required with the grinder, how often do you clean it?
Sep 30, 2019
111 posts
127 upvotes
Endiz wrote: This is very promising! How much maintenance is required with the grinder, how often do you clean it?
because i don't have it set particularly fine, and don't use darker roasts with more oily beans, there has been almost no maintenance needed.

the burrs have not had enough cycles to need adjustment, and cleaning with a product such as 'grindz' has not yet been necessary. if you are attempting espresso/turkish grind, or really use oily beans, then ymmv.

no noticeable degradation in 2+ years of use. . .knock on wood,
Sep 9, 2020
1 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks OP. I ordered last night in Barrie and just got back from picking it up. I accidentally ordered it from the south end location where it was $240 but managed to cancel the order and switch to the north location for the right price.

As I would expect from a store clearance, the box for mine had a bunch of dust on it. I'm looking forward to using it (the grinder, not the dust).
Apr 15, 2008
104 posts
68 upvotes
jh1 wrote: What's wrong with the Bodum? Mine has been reliable in the almost 8 years of using it daily.
I just moved from the Bodum grinder to this Breville I bought last night. For me it was worth the upgrade:

- Anecdotal, but it seems like at espresso grind, the Breville can go a little more fine and consistent.
- The fine tuning of grind level is very useful
- The ability to stop and start a timed grind is nice.
- A lot less messier as I can grind straight into my portafilter or drip filter. I found static in the bodum glass to be a pain
- My bodum is orange. I've had it for about a decade and the rubberized finish gets REALLY dirty and impossible to clean. Ends up feeling really sticky. It was looking pretty gnarly at the end of it even though it still works okay.
Sep 19, 2004
624 posts
71 upvotes
No clue if it’s worth the upgrade but my Bodum burr started to have a loud grinding sound. I opened it up last night and looks like a screw came loose and hitting the gears to turn the burr. I tightened it up and it’s “less noisy” now but still a loud grinder (but that doesn’t bother me).
Oct 18, 2019
94 posts
87 upvotes
It was mentioned, but i believe worth repeating : activate your CT Triangle point offer.

I had 20$ back on anything over 80$! Made me pull the trigger!
Oct 18, 2019
94 posts
87 upvotes
It was mentioned, but i believe worth repeating : activate your CT Triangle point offer.

I had 20$ back on anything over 80$! Made me pull the trigger!
Jun 18, 2017
454 posts
299 upvotes
Thanks op and everyone for their answers. Got the 2nd last one at Airdrie and at the same time a employee was picking the last one for a online order. So Airdrie officially sold out.
Sep 19, 2004
624 posts
71 upvotes
If anyone in Calgary is looking for this, let me know. I got one of the last one(s).

I fixed my Bodum last night so I don't need it.

At cost $151.13

Otherwise I might just cancel and someone will get it eventually since it looks like all of Calgary is Out of Stock now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)