[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8985 posts
3577 upvotes
6ix

[Canadian Tire] Canadian Tire Mastercraft 8.5A Impact Wrench, 1/2-in $70

Mastercraft 8.5A Impact Wrench, 1/2-in $70
The Mastercraft 8.5A Impact Wrench delivers 350 ft-lbs of torque for those high-demand torque projects and heavy-duty fastening applications
8.5A motor with 2,100 RPM (2,700 BPM) provides ample power when loosening and fastening lug nuts and driving lag bolts
1/2" square drive securely holds sockets and adaptors in-place
Forward/reverse rocker switch for easy one-handed use
Extra-long 10' (3 m) trade-length, oil resistant, cold weather-rated power cord (-20°C)
Aluminum alloy housing for outstanding strength and durability
Weight: 7 lb 8 oz (3.4 kg)
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp

Regular Price: $199.99
Sale Price: $70

Starts Nov 2 to Nov 15

I swapped over to winter tires yesterday DIY, might be useful for some people
Images
  • 6ae8ca07-0f2d-4a33-8895-3569b71576a8.jpg
Last edited by McLaren__F1 on Nov 8th, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo customer $40/8GB
Thread Summary
They extended the sale to Nov 15, 2018
50 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1422 posts
560 upvotes
Laval
Torquing lug nuts with this will go over the recommended "pressure/tightness"

I use it to unscrew but when it comes to screwing, I do just a simple tap on the trigger to hold the nut in place and finish it with manual wrench and torque wrench
Oct 30, 2018
1 posts
For people who use and know about this product, is it worth it? I know Mastercraft has a reputation of being the lowest grade equipment out there.

Can you even set a specific torque on this? Or is it better to just use a torque wrench.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2398 posts
370 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Thanks OP. Is this the best deal for a cordless impact wrench?

Edit nevermind this isnt cordless
Last edited by bargain man on Oct 31st, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 25, 2003
313 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
mtlmonk wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 3:39 pm
Torquing lug nuts with this will go over the recommended "pressure/tightness"

I use it to unscrew but when it comes to screwing, I do just a simple tap on the trigger to hold the nut in place and finish it with manual wrench and torque wrench
What you need to use are torque sticks.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... 1267p.html

Or

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8574048e
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8897 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
Is it possible to get a battery powered 1/2in torque wrench for under 150? Not just the tool but with battery and chargers.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6894 posts
1648 upvotes
Torque sticks are limiters, not for final use.

If you have a 60ft-lbs torque stick, it could break at 40, it could break at 55. It job is to allow no more than 60. You still have finish with a proper torque wrench to ensure you have met the torque spec.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2523 posts
612 upvotes
Scarborough
I have this one, bought it 2-3yr ago for about $43. Only used it once to loosen the 13yr old anode rod effortlessly. Somehow always shy away from using to change tires. Probably scared needlessly of cross-threading. The $10 CT breaker bar's just as handy, me strong?
Jan 19, 2017
37 posts
42 upvotes
For the weekend warrior/occasional user this is actually quite a good product. I bought it around 2 years ago and I think I paid $49 or $59. I use it to take my wheels on/off (I don't tighten all the way with it) and I've used it for the occasional garden project. It's stronger than I thought it would be.

As much as I would like a battery operated impact I just can't justify the price difference for the amount of time I use it.
Aug 11, 2013
79 posts
83 upvotes
Bought below cordless combo set on sale for $150 couple of weeks ago. Cordless Drill + cordless impact wrench + 2 batteries. I think its a good bang for buck. Better than buying impact wrench separate.

They put these tools on 70% off sale every so often. If you can wait for some time. They say anythink less than 70% off is not a good price for CT stuff. ;)

Fyi, Item number that i bought. #054-7551-8

Also, please note impact driver and impact wrench are separate things. Impact wrench come in multiple drive sizes. Go for a 1/2 inch drive impact wrench if you need to do any automotive work.
Last edited by zingers on Oct 31st, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6222 posts
874 upvotes
I used this today to take off my summer tires and switch over to winters. I only use it to take lug nuts off. To put them on I use my 4 way lug wrench and my torque wrench of course.

This is a good impact wrench. I bought it about 4 years ago for $50. I pretty much only use it for wheel nuts and so the price was right. I could never justify the cost of a battery one as much as I might want it. One has to be realistic.

The only negatives on this is the fact that it's fairly heavy and it just comes packed ina cardboard box - no plastic storage case.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1804 posts
1176 upvotes
Montreal, QC
zingers wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 5:40 pm
Bought below cordless combo set on sale for $150 couple of weeks ago. Cordless Drill + cordless impact wrench + 2 batteries. I think its a good bang for buck. Better than buying impact wrench separate.

They put these tools on 70% off sale every so often. If you can wait for some time. They say anythink less than 70% off is not a good price for CT stuff. ;)

Fyi, Item number that i bought. 54-3188

Also, please note impact driver and impact wrench are separate things. Impact wrench come in multiple drive sizes. Go for a 1/2 inch drive impact wrench if you need to do any automotive work.
As you stated, You didn't buy an impact wrench you bought an impact driver.. Very different beasts.
Even though it states "Delivers up to 330 in-lbs of torque", that would be in the forward direction typically, and that would be under IDEAL conditions. There is no way that driver is breaking free any lug nuts tightened to 100 ft-lbs of torque. Torque required to break lugnuts is typically greater than a driver can deliver. Now, if you decide to use a breaker bar to break them free first, then you can use the impact to remove them after you break them, and use it to put the nuts on again before using a torque wrend.

The impact wrench is actually a pretty nice value if you don't have a decent compressor. I personally have an Aircat 1150 pneumatic gun, and use accutorq stix and no complaints. Just remember NOT to use any torque sticks for removing the lugnuts. Just for putting them back on. I don't use a Torque wrench on my honda, gm or dodge vehicules. The torque sticks get very close indeed +- 10 ft-lbs of torque. If I had a Ferrari or other high end vehicule, that would be a different story.

And most garages at this time of season, will NOT use a torque wrench either for tires (except for high end dealerships). Torq sticks in most garages, and the crappy ones don't even use those.
woof wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 5:52 pm
This is a good impact wrench. I bought it about 4 years ago for $50. I pretty much only use it for wheel nuts and so the price was right. I could never justify the cost of a battery one as much as I might want it. One has to be realistic.

The only negatives on this is the fact that it's fairly heavy and it just comes packed ina cardboard box - no plastic storage case.
Definately a great value.
I did buy a battery one a while back from CT, and it was great for the first 2 years. Then the battery started to fade so badly, that I could not do more than 2 tires without swapping batteries. Tried to get replacement batteries, and they were discontinued. Rebuild was just too expensive. Unless you go with something like the new Milwaukee high impact wrench (sweet - but not cheap)) which uses standard M18 batteries like the rest of their tools, then it's a hard sell. Since I already had a compressor, I picked up the Aircat 1150 which I had found a sweet deal on amazon.com @ USD$130 last year (sister drove it up since she lives in the states) so upgraded my older reliable IR231 which I used for many years.
Last edited by Emporium on Oct 31st, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.