Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire's Boxing Day Treadmill - Marked WAY up in preparation

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2019 2:09 am
Nov 22, 2017
164 posts
142 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Canadian Tire] Canadian Tire's Boxing Day Treadmill - Marked WAY up in preparation

Not sure if this is allowed, but for those looking at treadmills, save yourself the boxing day hassle and get it at nearly the same price as the "boxing day deal" from Horizon directly https://www.horizonfitness.com/horizon-t202-treadmill .

They have put this thing on their site far far over regular price to attract potential buyers to the upcoming discount. I have Horizon gear, and have no issues with it.. But this is just sleazy in my opinion.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
Is it good price for $1038 ? I need one to stay active in winter.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Nov 22, 2018
211 posts
209 upvotes
Brampton, On
That's the regular business sales model for these treadmills; over-inflated list prices and they cycle the models on "sale" every other week to make it look like you're getting massive discounts.

You don't have to wait for Boxing day/Black Friday sales for these. $699 is probably about the expected selling price for that Horizon model. The better deal is the NordicTrack C990 that's on sale for $999 right now. 3hp motor (instead of 2.75hp), plus better belt, frame, isolators (that take the shock from running on it) and console.

Most of the treadmills are all made in Canada by Icon Fitness. Horizon is the mid tier brand name, NordicTrack is their upper tier brand. If you can spring for the extra $300, I'd go with the C990 before it goes off sale, but you generally just wait a few weeks until the model you want cycles back on "sale" again.

Either way, Icon Fitness makes really good treadmills and I'm sure that T202 will meet your needs just the same. I'd have sprung for a C990 recently but I just replaced the running board (flat board under the belt that takes the stress hit from running) and a few rubber bumpers on my 13 year old C2200 Nordictrack but otherwise original motor and running belt, and is in use and run on pretty much daily.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
Is anyone surprised by this? Okay, yes lots of people are surprised by this and think sale prices at CT are a good deal!
Nov 22, 2018
211 posts
209 upvotes
Brampton, On
Correction, Horizon is a separate company, not one of the Icon Fitness brands so I can't vouch for Horizon's treadmill quality.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
Canadian Tire is not the only one that does this.
Anyone with a brain already knows, never buy anything at CT that’s not on sale, and most of us not only have the credit card for 4% return, but we also wait for for bonus CT money events to get even more back, sometimes as much as 20%.
Of course if you can get it 20% off directly from the source, that’s the better route, but the most unlikely one.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Bestbuy is notorious for this as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2008
1219 posts
938 upvotes
How is there still no consumer protection laws regarding business that lie about the original price?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1759 posts
525 upvotes
Woodbridge
I remember a few years ago a Canadian company got fined for marking up the regular price, was it canadian tire?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
coolintheshade wrote: Canadian Tire is not the only one that does this.
Anyone with a brain already knows, never buy anything at CT that’s not on sale, and most of us not only have the credit card for 4% return, but we also wait for for bonus CT money events to get even more back, sometimes as much as 20%.
Of course if you can get it 20% off directly from the source, that’s the better route, but the most unlikely one.
I just got the WE triangle card but how do you use maximize the CDN tire money on those days? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
cn_habs wrote: I just got the WE triangle card but how do you use maximize the CDN tire money on those days? Thanks.
Use the card
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8048 posts
8623 upvotes
Downtown Canada
CrappyTire does it again
Telus $30/75GB USA/CAN + $0 VVM (USA roaming + USA calling included) X 5 lines

Seeing ads while surfing the web? Get Ad Guard ad blocker.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8048 posts
8623 upvotes
Downtown Canada
ag2000 wrote: It is in fact illegal. http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 00522.html
You can formally complain about them to the competition bureau, They would have to prove that they sold substantial volume for the "regular"price.
Sears was fined for this some years ago.
How do I file a complaint? I can't seem to find the link.
Telus $30/75GB USA/CAN + $0 VVM (USA roaming + USA calling included) X 5 lines

Seeing ads while surfing the web? Get Ad Guard ad blocker.
Nov 22, 2018
211 posts
209 upvotes
Brampton, On
TransporterSD wrote: How do I file a complaint? I can't seem to find the link.
It won't do any good. They cycle the sale prices of lots of products with the full price long enough to statisfy the "time test". Inflated or MSRP, as long as they list it for sale at that price for a period of time.

Back on topic, that t202 for BD price of $699 is still a great deal, considering most of time, the similar one's in this class are on sale for generally between 999 and 1299.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
You're surprised Canadian Tire inflates their MSRP? Every time I buy tools there, 60% off is like regular price
Aug 17, 2015
85 posts
12 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone has experience transporting a treadmill in car? I think it might be too big for a sedan judging by the dimensions. Shipping is $70.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
876 upvotes
Central Ontario
carmaster wrote: Bestbuy is notorious for this as well.
And people fall for it and line up before opening on Boxing Day every year...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2319 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Khurma wrote: Anyone has experience transporting a treadmill in car? I think it might be too big for a sedan judging by the dimensions. Shipping is $70.
We have fit a treadmill in a Jetta no problem. Back seats down through the trunk.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)