Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Clearance deals on Winter Tires Michelin, Conti, Motomaster, Hankook

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2019 4:04 pm
Dec 26, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:32 pm
What? The Xi3 are one of the top tier tires...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1534 ... good-idea/
https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... /overview/
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=193

I have used Xi3 on all of my cars except the Miata and love them.
abshahul wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:20 pm
I ordered the Michelin Xi3 as stocks were limited I didn't want to miss out, but just reading the reviews, some are saying it's really good and others are not so now I'm worried. I have no experience with Winter Tires, these are my first so any pointers are welcome. TIA.

I personally hate the Michelin Xi3 on my vehicle. Took it to shops thinking something was wrong with my car and how it was handling. They are very spongy, great in the snow, but most of the time in the GTA we are dealing with cold and dry weather.

Replaced with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s this year. 100% completely satisfied with these tires. They are not spongy at all and still great in the 1Ft of snow we had the other day.

- Jate
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2855 posts
955 upvotes
jatedawg wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:16 pm
I personally hate the Michelin Xi3 on my vehicle. Took it to shops thinking something was wrong with my car and how it was handling. They are very spongy, great in the snow, but most of the time in the GTA we are dealing with cold and dry weather.

Replaced with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s this year. 100% completely satisfied with these tires. They are not spongy at all and still great in the 1Ft of snow we had the other day.

- Jate
It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a high performance winter tire or a high performance tire that you can drive on in the winter? If it's the former, X-Ice Xi3. If it's the latter, Alpin PA4s.
May 27, 2017
63 posts
75 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:24 pm
It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a high performance winter tire or a high performance tire that you can drive on in the winter? If it's the former, X-Ice Xi3. If it's the latter, Alpin PA4s.
I don’t like xice for deep snow they’re not for me, I like a tire with an aggressive tread pattern for deep snow like general altimax artic which made my Corolla a beast unlike the x ice I had before
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1265 posts
161 upvotes
abshahul wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 11:56 am
I was planning to skip buying winter tires this year, but got it now, thanks to you. Do you know whether the price includes installation as well?
Glad to be of help. The price doesn't include installation. I am not sure of details but if you get it installed ar CT you get some type of extra warranty. However other places like costco or private mechanic will be cheaper to get it installed.
Dec 25, 2007
248 posts
60 upvotes
CALGARY
jatedawg wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:16 pm

- Jate
This is pretty interesting to hear. I actually went the other way. The dealer threw in PA4's and I found them to be pretty poor in inclimate weather. They seemed more like a decent all season. I went with some XI3's and I have been happy ever since. I don't corner too hard in the winter, but didn't find it too spongy (considering it is a winter tire).
Feb 18, 2010
727 posts
235 upvotes
Greely
SizzleChest wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:18 pm
I was checking these out a few years ago and what turned me off is that they are made in China while it seemed that every other Hankook tire (at least at that time) was made in Korea. They are also exclusively sold at CT. I had my suspicions that they were a re-branded tire. I like a good deal as much as the next RFDer, but tires aren't something that I want to cheap-out on.
I have these Hankook RSVs on my Honda Civic. They are ok in snow, and not so great on ice, but better than all seasons. They are fairly quiet (so far) on bare pavement, but that may change as they wear. I would rate them a solid "meh"...
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2782 posts
815 upvotes
fq007 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:31 pm
Glad to be of help. The price doesn't include installation. I am not sure of details but if you get it installed ar CT you get some type of extra warranty. However other places like costco or private mechanic will be cheaper to get it installed.
So, if the price does not include balancing and installation, then you need to add another $15-25 per tire.

How does that compare in general to Simply Tire in toronto ?
Nov 21, 2018
24 posts
18 upvotes
Markham
Not sure why the Xice3 is such a polarizing tire.

2006 BMW 330i Sport package, RWD. I got these tires used on Kijiji and put on the car in November. Smooth ride, good handling , and in the past couple of weeks the storms have proven their worthiness in the snow. I have recommended these to friends who also have BMW's. Perhaps the tire behaves differently depending on sidewall thickness and vehicle setup. To the post regarding the corolla above, I used to have a nissan sentra with Altimax Arctics and those did indeed make my car a tank in the snow. But the Xice3 have been great for me thus far.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3049 posts
1091 upvotes
Toronto
abshahul wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:20 pm
I ordered the Michelin Xi3 as stocks were limited I didn't want to miss out, but just reading the reviews, some are saying it's really good and others are not so now I'm worried. I have no experience with Winter Tires, these are my first so any pointers are welcome. TIA.
Put some on the wife's car 10 days ago. I'm not sure what the 30% deal is but for the same tire today the price is $18 more / tire and didn't include the $25 / tire bonus in CT money. Buying today would have cost us $172 more. ($181.36 with taxes)
Look at where the reviews are coming from. Those that came from areas with frequent deep snow (e.g. East Coast) gave poor reviews. People from areas like the GTA where you are likely to get occasional deep snow and more likely ice/slush gave the higher reviews. The wife says they did the job through our last storms (E320 wagon) with some improvement over the previously worn winter tires (Conti's) likely due to fresh tread. She cruised through spots many others were having troubles, which substantially slowed her down.

I think you will find you will be happy with them in Whitby.
Last edited by ROYinTO on Feb 1st, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 22, 2008
560 posts
286 upvotes
Orangeville
do they mount the tires on the rims if you buy both?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3049 posts
1091 upvotes
Toronto
ROYinTO wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 2:03 pm
I'm not sure what the 30% deal is
Revisiting the deal link, I see the 30% on select tire sizes. If one is getting both tires and wheels it might be worth your while to look at alternative sizes. 30% off might cover a good chunk of the cost of new wheels.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8535 posts
2750 upvotes
Toronto
Nice Michelin X-Ice Xi3 205/55/16 is 25% off
Koodo $40/8GB
Sep 4, 2015
141 posts
99 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
old sparks wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:48 pm
I have these Hankook RSVs on my Honda Civic. They are ok in snow, and not so great on ice, but better than all seasons. They are fairly quiet (so far) on bare pavement, but that may change as they wear. I would rate them a solid "meh"...
I've got the RSVs on my wife's Honda and thus far they've performed really well on icy/snowy roads two winters in.

I took a chance on the Dynamos for an older Mazda which isn't driven far, just a short trek to work and back.

Both seem to be made in China. Both seem to perform well enough on snow and ice so far.

The RSVs were highly recommended by the techs at Canadian Tire. The Dynamos were not recommended. They are both performing better than the wintermaxx tires I used to have and recently blew out.

I would never recommend any tire though as I wouldn't want someone getting hurt due to my reco.
Apr 22, 2006
921 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
Please don't forget to add Tire replacement warranty when you purchase them. It's worth every penny in my opinion. Coming from someone who recently had to change two tires due to nails in sidewalls.

Remember, you can also go two sizes down for winters and save some money and if possible buy new or used alloys instead of steelies. You wouldn't regret that ever.

And please, please check the DOT's to make sure what is being sold to you is at least within a year of date of manufacture.