Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Clearance deals on Winter Tires Michelin, Conti, Motomaster, Hankook

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2019 4:04 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2002
1022 posts
50 upvotes
Waterloo
I have been running on the xi3 for 2 winters now and they're pretty good. Noisy but good bang for buck at this price. Stay away from the Hankook iPike's. Had those before and they were terrible.
abshahul wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:20 pm
I ordered the Michelin Xi3 as stocks were limited I didn't want to miss out, but just reading the reviews, some are saying it's really good and others are not so now I'm worried. I have no experience with Winter Tires, these are my first so any pointers are welcome. TIA.
Dec 26, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:24 pm
It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a high performance winter tire or a high performance tire that you can drive on in the winter? If it's the former, X-Ice Xi3. If it's the latter, Alpin PA4s.

Couldn't agree more, it comes down to your use case and your vehicle.

-Jate
Last edited by jatedawg on Feb 1st, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3372 posts
596 upvotes
old sparks wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:48 pm
I have these Hankook RSVs on my Honda Civic. They are ok in snow, and not so great on ice, but better than all seasons. They are fairly quiet (so far) on bare pavement, but that may change as they wear. I would rate them a solid "meh"...
I have them on my Fusion and I agree. Good enough for a Toronto winter, but if I was living elsewhere where winter was worse I'd spend a bit more for better tires. Had Bilzzaks on my car when I lived in Ottawa a few years back and these don't quite compare.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1157 posts
517 upvotes
torontoguy777 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 2:28 pm
Please don't forget to add Tire replacement warranty when you purchase them. It's worth every penny in my opinion. Coming from someone who recently had to change two tires due to nails in sidewalls.

Remember, you can also go two sizes down for winters and save some money and if possible buy new or used alloys instead of steelies. You wouldn't regret that ever.

And please, please check the DOT's to make sure what is being sold to you is at least within a year of date of manufacture.
2 sizes down? I always thought you could go 1 inch lower on rims for a lot of vehicles.
Feb 18, 2010
727 posts
235 upvotes
Greely
CorSter wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 2:53 pm
I have them on my Fusion and I agree. Good enough for a Toronto winter, but if I was living elsewhere where winter was worse I'd spend a bit more for better tires. Had Bilzzaks on my car when I lived in Ottawa a few years back and these don't quite compare.
I should have mentioned that my "meh" rating for the RSVs was in comparison to General Altimax Arctics on a Nissan Rogue, which were great for someone who "had" to be at work every day.

These RSVs are good enough for my intended use and likely fine for more forgiving climes than Ottawa...
Oct 17, 2007
88 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Just bought a set of the xi3 to try next season, I'd like to see how they compare with my much cheaper goodyear nordic. Thanks, OP
Sep 13, 2010
563 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
abshahul wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:20 pm
I ordered the Michelin Xi3 as stocks were limited I didn't want to miss out, but just reading the reviews, some are saying it's really good and others are not so now I'm worried. I have no experience with Winter Tires, these are my first so any pointers are welcome. TIA.
I have a set of Xi3s currently on my car. Second winter on them and they are one of the best winter tires I have had.
Had a rental car last week and it had the Hankook iPike's and they were meh. Really big difference compared to the Xi3s.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1266 posts
161 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:52 pm
So, if the price does not include balancing and installation, then you need to add another $15-25 per tire.

How does that compare in general to Simply Tire in toronto ?
Why dont u find out and let the rfd community know? :)
Sep 13, 2009
116 posts
28 upvotes
Have three cars ... Xi3 on two, and Blizzaks on one. The Xi3 get the job done with snow and are better for ice, also quieter at highway speeds. Blizzaks are better for snow and not quite as good on ice, and are louder at highway speeds. Based on my driving and typical GTA weather, the Xi3 best serves my purposes as a well balanced winter tire.
Sep 13, 2009
116 posts
28 upvotes
jatedawg wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:16 pm
I personally hate the Michelin Xi3 on my vehicle. Took it to shops thinking something was wrong with my car and how it was handling. They are very spongy, great in the snow, but most of the time in the GTA we are dealing with cold and dry weather.

Replaced with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s this year. 100% completely satisfied with these tires. They are not spongy at all and still great in the 1Ft of snow we had the other day.

- Jate

Winter tires need to use a softer rubber compound for snow/ ice traction. The harder tire will handle better though at the expense of said traction. PA4 is a good choice in Toronto, though with more mixed conditions (outside the GTA) the Xi3 is a better way to go.
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
153 upvotes
York, ON
jatedawg wrote:
I personally hate the Michelin Xi3 on my vehicle. Took it to shops thinking something was wrong with my car and how it was handling. They are very spongy, great in the snow, but most of the time in the GTA we are dealing with cold and dry weather.

Replaced with a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s this year. 100% completely satisfied with these tires. They are not spongy at all and still great in the 1Ft of snow we had the other day.

- Jate
What car are you driving?
For most cars that aren’t sporty, these are fine.

Many drivers who want better handling better off with blizzaks or contis
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4929 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto
SizzleChest wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:18 pm
I was checking these out a few years ago and what turned me off is that they are made in China while it seemed that every other Hankook tire (at least at that time) was made in Korea. They are also exclusively sold at CT. I had my suspicions that they were a re-branded tire. I like a good deal as much as the next RFDer, but tires aren't something that I want to cheap-out on.
Noticed they were Made in China and have them on my Civic Si since Nov 2018. No problems driving in GTA even in the snow storm. I don't drive a lot about 12,000km a year and probably probably 5,000km per winter so they are fine for my use. Had them installed at CT and financed and they were this price (10% off in November.) I don't know about the durability but they are fine for my usage. Drive slow and be careful out there and there's plenty of traction. I find the noise much less than the previous set of General Arctic Altimax I had on before and stopping distance similar in cold/hard-pack snow. The ice traction seems to be less than confident though. Considering I paid $560 tax in and installed for 16" (+$40 MIR Mastercard) and they swapped/disposed old winter rubber and was able to finance the entire purchase and there is a "warranty" through C Tire, in my opinion and for my usage, it couldn't be beat. Also, in true RFD spirit, bought them on a 30x day so received $60 in C Tire money. Total Cost $460 / 24 months (including the C Tire money and $40 MC)
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Dec 26, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
Alex360 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 4:50 pm
What car are you driving?
For most cars that aren’t sporty, these are fine.

Many drivers who want better handling better off with blizzaks or contis
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan

Weight is 3800 lbs and is RWD.

Like was said before it depends on the use case that works for you.

Cheers

-Jate
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
153 upvotes
York, ON
jatedawg wrote: 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan

Weight is 3800 lbs and is RWD.

Like was said before it depends on the use case that works for you.

Cheers

-Jate
You’re better off with conti winter contacts