Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Continental Winter Tires 205 50 17 *Clearance deal, other sizes also on clearance*

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 11:48 am
Tags:
Member
User avatar
May 8, 2016
266 posts
181 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote: I was thinking of the Michelin Cross Climate but reviews are just so-so and some on tirerack say it's noisy. With all-weather tires, there really are compromises. I will probably have to replaced my XI2's from 2010 lol with these X-Ice Snow.

I read with Blizzaks, once the tread wears down, the rubber composition is different. We have the Blizzak DVS2? on our RAV4H though.

And I also thought about having to use jack stands (rarely used them) if I only use a set of tire/wheels instead of the current two set setup lol.
Mixed reviews coming back on the Cross Climates but overall I'm not a big supporter of the whole all-weather market. It's fine for dense urban areas with limited ice build-up and those who stay predominantly within that bubble but there is a noticeable traction compromise for rural and suburban drivers. They'll provide adequate snow traction thanks to snow-on-snow adhesion but the ice traction is almost no different than a standard "all-season/3-season" tire.

Most tires will wear differently from start to finish in part because of the chemical compounds of the rubber but, the typical marketplace stigma of the Blizzak burning off in the heat is nowhere near as bad as it used to be a decade or more ago. It rings true for any winter tire with a soft, high silica tread. It's needed to optimize that ice traction and water-wicking ability in severe cold but the whole late on, early off thing isn't really needed anymore. Follow the weather patterns. I put my Blizzaks on 2nd week of October last year and didn't take them off until late May this year. No discernable difference in treadwear.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
53836 posts
18779 upvotes
WRIGHT828 wrote: Mixed reviews coming back on the Cross Climates but overall I'm not a big supporter of the whole all-weather market. It's fine for dense urban areas with limited ice build-up and those who stay predominantly within that bubble but there is a noticeable traction compromise for rural and suburban drivers. They'll provide adequate snow traction thanks to snow-on-snow adhesion but the ice traction is almost no different than a standard "all-season/3-season" tire.

Most tires will wear differently from start to finish in part because of the chemical compounds of the rubber but, the typical marketplace stigma of the Blizzak burning off in the heat is nowhere near as bad as it used to be a decade or more ago. It rings true for any winter tire with a soft, high silica tread. It's needed to optimize that ice traction and water-wicking ability in severe cold but the whole late on, early off thing isn't really needed anymore. Follow the weather patterns. I put my Blizzaks on 2nd week of October last year and didn't take them off until late May this year. No discernable difference in treadwear.
May was like mild winter though haha.

True, I think unless you have an EV (or muscle car) you like to burn tires on, many winter tires are fine for summer use, especially if it's their last year anyway.

We went to Niagara on the Lake two weeks ago and I noticed a vehicle still on winters lol. In my case, I just swap on my driveway, so no point procrastinating too much.
Member
User avatar
May 8, 2016
266 posts
181 upvotes
Ontario
zdpz wrote: I have Blizzacks WSseries and Michelin XIce3 on the other. Blizzacks are better on slush, Xice3 better on every other road condition.

Michelin is far better imo thank Blizzacks for this particular model.

Lastly,.for summer tires if you want premium tires you don't buy these, you go for Pirelli. Not sure I agree Bridgestone being better than Michelin, Micheline has been reputidely the better tire manufacturer.
Everyone has a personal preference and that's totally okay. One person's experience with a tire will be entirely different than another. The person, the vehicles, the road, the conditions.... everything changes the driving experience with a tire. My professional experience has provided me many opportunities over the years to work closely with tire manufacturers and engineers and to test products in controlled situations and in everyday driving. I have my own preferences and bias, as do you, as does everybody out there. Michelin and Bridgestone both offer similar products with their own unique qualities and technologies. Every manufacturer does. Some are gimmicky, others are solid, proven technologies to enhance the driving experience, longevity and safety.

As I said, *I* prefer to run the Blizzaks in the winter but in the summer I choose to run Michelins. I also run tires from other manufacturers from time to time. I swap my tires on my vehicles regularly in order to test other brands and better speak to their performance and handling capabilities but I have my key favourites which I'll always go back to.
Member
User avatar
May 8, 2016
266 posts
181 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote: May was like mild winter though haha.

True, I think unless you have an EV (or muscle car) you like to burn tires on, many winter tires are fine for summer use, especially if it's their last year anyway.

We went to Niagara on the Lake two weeks ago and I noticed a vehicle still on winters lol. In my case, I just swap on my driveway, so no point procrastinating too much.
Most definitely. This was actually the longest I've ever really left my own winters on. I often purposely remove mine in late March in order to test the winter capabilities of a marketed "all season" for their light-snow capabilities. The weather is usually unpredictable enough that I get a chance to test their grip in multi-season conditions.

Most of your 2nd tier and below winter tires will survive a year-round grocery-getter driver. It's important to understand that they are still winter tires though and your stopping distances will increase in he heat and plan accordingly. It will inevitably shorten their lifespan as it will any winter tire used in summer, but most of those grocery-getters' do such little mileage in a year anyways the rubber will deteriorate before the tread wears out. Haha!

And still LOTS of winter tires on this year! COVID has impacted a lot of people swapping their winters and many say they just aren't going to bother. They have nowhere to go, nothing to do. It's been interesting to watch this unfold for anyone in the tire biz!
Member
User avatar
Nov 15, 2009
229 posts
491 upvotes
B.C.
Anyone have any experience with Pirelli Ice Zero FR?

I found some that are basically brand new that im looking to purchase for my A3 for this coming winter. They seem to have good reviews.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3969 posts
1958 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: Hmmmm this is exactly the size I need for my Mazda 3 GT that comes with the 17's. Strongly considering
You'll want to size down for winter. 205/55/16 or 195/55/16.

Smaller tires for winter = better winter performance.

I have these on my Kia Niro and they work well as an 'urban' winter tire. It's a step better than Hankook if the price is right, but not better than Michelin's, Toyo, Blizzaks or the absolute best of all, Nokians.

What's weird about the Wintercontacts, there's more grip in wet vs dry.
Member
Oct 26, 2016
291 posts
382 upvotes
WRIGHT828 wrote: A dealer will often only offer significant discounts on a tire to clear out aged & discontinued stock. It's common practice. Why would a retailer, or even a wholesaler for that matter choose to lose money on new stock? Also, keep in mind that it's not uncommon for the manufacturer to ship stock that is 18-24 months past its build date. This happens often with low volume SKUs. So tire gets built, ships from that facility to the manufacturer's warehouse (this may be 90+ days if coming from overseas), sits in the manufacturer warehouse for potentially 2 years, then is shipped to a distributor and may be held in the distributors' inventory until it's eventually sold to a retail customer. This is less frequent with popular patterns and sizes. This is why warranties are typically offered based on the date of sale and not the date of manufacturing. The RMA recommendation of 6 years is just that, a recommendation based on the service life of the tire. A tire that has been in service for 6 years exposed to the elements, ozone, and constant load is entirely different than a tire that's been stored in a climate-controlled facility for its life.
Yes I understand that a tire that's been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years is not exposed to the elements, and the rubber compound is still like new, but that's not my problem. When I buy something new, I expect it to be new... With tires, I'm reasonable and I can understand being sold tires made within the last year, but not 3 plus years, sorry... Don't care if it's a clearance item or not.

It's sort of like a best before product, such as food items. They may have never been open, but you're past the best before date... Does that mean you can't consume the product? No, but it may not taste or make you feel very good...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 17, 2001
11370 posts
4492 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Nothing in the size I need.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2014
2709 posts
536 upvotes
cb8888 wrote: Yes I understand that a tire that's been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years is not exposed to the elements, and the rubber compound is still like new, but that's not my problem. When I buy something new, I expect it to be new... With tires, I'm reasonable and I can understand being sold tires made within the last year, but not 3 plus years, sorry... Don't care if it's a clearance item or not.

It's sort of like a best before product, such as food items. They may have never been open, but you're past the best before date... Does that mean you can't consume the product? No, but it may not taste or make you feel very good...
Its personal preference. I got a set of 2014 AS3's still run fine.
Also xice 185 60 15 clearance deal few years ago 60 a tire, 2015 dot, still work fine.

These ones were 2016 mid year dot, great set of tires for the price.
Member
Oct 26, 2016
291 posts
382 upvotes
westnylefx wrote: Its personal preference. I got a set of 2014 AS3's still run fine.
Also xice 185 60 15 clearance deal few years ago 60 a tire, 2015 dot, still work fine.

These ones were 2016 mid year dot, great set of tires for the price.
It shouldn't be like that but anyways, like you said to each their own... somethings I will not accept if it's not new, doesn't matter if it's a clearance or sale
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2014
2709 posts
536 upvotes
cb8888 wrote: It shouldn't be like that but anyways, like you said to each their own... somethings I will not accept if it's not new, doesn't matter if it's a clearance or sale
Wait so you are debating that tires being not 2020 DOT are not NEW?

Just want to clarify that.
Member
Oct 26, 2016
291 posts
382 upvotes
westnylefx wrote: Wait so you are debating that tires being not 2020 DOT are not NEW?

Just want to clarify that.
2015 DOT tires that have never been used are by definition new, but for lack of a better term, I surely don't count that as "new", but let's not get into semantics.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2014
2709 posts
536 upvotes
cb8888 wrote: 2015 DOT tires that have never been used are by definition new, but for lack of a better term, I surely don't count that as "new", but let's not get into semantics.

So would you rather use 2015/2016 big brand tires,
Or just go to tireworld and slap on the 60/70 each 2020 dot china tires?
Member
Oct 26, 2016
291 posts
382 upvotes
westnylefx wrote: So would you rather use 2015/2016 big brand tires,
Or just go to tireworld and slap on the 60/70 each 2020 dot china tires?
Why are you asking me that? What is it to you what brand tire I put on my cars?

And FWIW, if you read my first comment, I went to Canadian Tire and got a set of Goodyear, the eagle sport a/s to be exact, 195/65/15 for 80 bucks a tire AND I told them I won't accept their 3 old tires, so they gave me 4 tires stamped 2219...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27154 posts
7463 upvotes
Meh no TS8xx clearance no care. Well that and even the Winter Contact Si in OP wasn't on clearance in my size either :lol:
-=phelan=- wrote: Can't find anything for my tire size that's on clearance...but just a fyi last time I was at cdn tire for a clearance on tires they were selling new tires but they were five yrs old according to date code markings
cb8888 wrote: They tried to do this to me, I bought a set of 15 inch goodyears on clearance and when I went to pick them up, the date code was mid 2017 on 3 of the tires... I told them to either bring me new tires, all made within the last year or to give me my money back... the guy at the counter argued with me and said what do I care about age, they're new :facepalm:

But to those who don't know, they'll easily get suckered just because of the price. So anyone reading this, if you ever buy clearance tires, check the 4 digit date code on the sidewall!
Five years I would say is too old, yes. Demanding tyres that are less than a year since manufacture is the other side of unreasonable though--yes you may sometimes get tyres that new but I wouldn't bank on it nor is it that reasonable a demand. When you're getting a clearance deal something that's 24-30 months old is more realistic and even when not on clearance anything that's within ~18 months since manufacture date is perfectly acceptable. The date code on tyres is important but not to the degree some people take it. Too many people these days (now that even n00bs can easily look up this exists on tyres) think it means they "need" to have tyres that were made a couple months ago in order to be considered "new". That's not the industry standard, it's just a dream the same n00bs thought up because they googled it and now they know of the date code.

: ahem : Case in point:
cb8888 wrote: When I buy something new, I expect it to be new...

Don't care if it's a clearance item or not.
:rolleyes:
WRIGHT828 wrote: Mixed reviews coming back on the Cross Climates but overall I'm not a big supporter of the whole all-weather market. It's fine for dense urban areas with limited ice build-up and those who stay predominantly within that bubble but there is a noticeable traction compromise for rural and suburban drivers. They'll provide adequate snow traction thanks to snow-on-snow adhesion but the ice traction is almost no different than a standard "all-season/3-season" tire.
Agreed IMO "all weather" is just some other name for "all season" that they dreamt up because more people were on to the fact that all seasons are trash. For winter, my opinion is one should use a performance winter if they live in urban ares, use a regular winter (studded if permitted) in rural areas. Using an "all weather" with a snowflake symbol on it might mean it performs okay in some winter conditions but the trade-off is still gonna be there regardless--it's gonna suck donkey balls in the summer compared to most real summer tyres. Even if they could make/make right now an "all weather" that is fantastic in winter conditions, there's next to no chance it could possibly be that good in the summer, so I still wouldn't touch it with a car-length pole.

Top