Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Continental Winter Tires 205 50 17 *Clearance deal, other sizes also on clearance*

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 11:48 am
Tags:
Oct 26, 2016
303 posts
391 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Meh no TS8xx clearance no care. Well that and even the Winter Contact Si in OP wasn't on clearance in my size either :lol:

Five years I would say is too old, yes. Demanding tyres that are less than a year since manufacture is the other side of unreasonable though--yes you may sometimes get tyres that new but I wouldn't bank on it nor is it that reasonable a demand. When you're getting a clearance deal something that's 24-30 months old is more realistic and even when not on clearance anything that's within ~18 months since manufacture date is perfectly acceptable. The date code on tyres is important but not to the degree some people take it. Too many people these days (now that even n00bs can easily look up this exists on tyres) think it means they "need" to have tyres that were made a couple months ago in order to be considered "new". That's not the industry standard, it's just a dream the same n00bs thought up because they googled it and now they know of the date code.

: ahem : Case in point:

:rolleyes:

Agreed IMO "all weather" is just some other name for "all season" that they dreamt up because more people were on to the fact that all seasons are trash. For winter, my opinion is one should use a performance winter if they live in urban ares, use a regular winter (studded if permitted) in rural areas. Using an "all weather" with a snowflake symbol on it might mean it performs okay in some winter conditions but the trade-off is still gonna be there regardless--it's gonna suck donkey balls in the summer compared to most real summer tyres. Even if they could make/make right now an "all weather" that is fantastic in winter conditions, there's next to no chance it could possibly be that good in the summer, so I still wouldn't touch it with a car-length pole.
Right, thanks for calling me a noob and insulting me. If I were such a noob, I wouldn't have gotten the tires I wanted, because they clearly had them and were just too lazy to give me the newer tires...but clearly since your such a genius and a reasonable person, you can go ahead and buy the older tires, let's me and all the other unreasonable noobs get the newer tires because we asked for them
Oct 15, 2012
319 posts
330 upvotes
Sudbury
cb8888 wrote: They tried to do this to me, I bought a set of 15 inch goodyears on clearance and when I went to pick them up, the date code was mid 2017 on 3 of the tires... I told them to either bring me new tires, all made within the last year or to give me my money back... the guy at the counter argued with me and said what do I care about age, they're new :facepalm:

But to those who don't know, they'll easily get suckered just because of the price. So anyone reading this, if you ever buy clearance tires, check the 4 digit date code on the sidewall!
I agree the age of a tire can be a concern, however, a tire stored in a relatively cool, dark condition will deteriorate minimally over time; case in point, I have Bridgestone tires that I had on my 1972 Datsun in high-school (1978)-- these tires are over 30 years old and show no signs of aging ie cracks, etc (stored in my cool, dark shed). It seems tires today may not have the same quality of rubber as cracking due to age, use, and weather (sun) exposure seems to occur much quicker in terms of years. Yes rubber breaks down over time- don't get in a knot over a tire with a DOT date code that may be a few years old-- the tire is stored inside and you will clearly see tire is new condition otherwise. Stay safe!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2709 posts
536 upvotes
Serpentine wrote: I agree the age of a tire can be a concern, however, a tire stored in a relatively cool, dark condition will deteriorate minimally over time; case in point, I have Bridgestone tires that I had on my 1972 Datsun in high-school (1978)-- these tires are over 30 years old and show no signs of aging ie cracks, etc (stored in my cool, dark shed). It seems tires today may not have the same quality of rubber as cracking due to age, use, and weather (sun) exposure seems to occur much quicker in terms of years. Yes rubber breaks down over time- don't get in a knot over a tire with a DOT date code that may be a few years old-- the tire is stored inside and you will clearly see tire is new condition otherwise. Stay safe!

Yeah I only returned my set of tires because my car 2000 volvo c70, and the 205 50 17 tires, yes they can work, but what a pain it is

and my michelin xice 2016dot set works great, i just may have to hold off on my big brake upgrade.

or find a set of 205 55 16 winter set.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4001 posts
429 upvotes
Georgetown
Have had these Winter Contact tires for 3 years on 2 vehicles, and I can honestly say the tread still looks new. Each year when I rotate them off, I’m amazed that the tread is still looking untouched. They perform great too.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4604 upvotes
London
ES_Revenge wrote: Meh no TS8xx clearance no care. Well that and even the Winter Contact Si in OP wasn't on clearance in my size either :lol:...
You have to put the product code into stocktrack and search all local stores - all CT stores are not the same price
Sort the results by price and see which CT stores have stock at the clearance prices .

Example:
For my size, the posted price on CT online is $230 ea. If I search all local ON stores using stocktrack , some have my size on clearance at $120 ea but don't have a full set of 4. I would need to go to Hamilton to pick up 2 tires and then to Minden for the remaining 2. The stocktrack thread is in the rfd shopping forum. It was written by RDFer @seafish

Note that these tires are old CT stock. The WinterContact Si was replaced by the new WinterContact Si *PLUS* in fall 2019. These tires would have likely be late 2018 production - been produced for the fall 2018- winter 2019 season
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27369 posts
7680 upvotes
l69norm wrote: You have to put the product code into stocktrack and search all local stores - all CT stores are not the same price
Sort the results by price and see which CT stores have stock at the clearance prices .
Ah cool, never thought to use stocktrack to find tyre stock. I know about stocktrack, just never thought to use it for this. Good tip--thx! But alas no TS830Ps in my size, within 150km.

Edit: Also isn't the Si Plus the exact same thing? Something is making me think it is, and it just says "Plus" so CT doesn't have to PM and doesn't get PM'd elsewhere, no?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3884 posts
3340 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alanbrenton wrote: I was thinking of the Michelin Cross Climate but reviews are just so-so and some on tirerack say it's noisy. With all-weather tires, there really are compromises.
So-so? I've been considering them too, and from my (relatively brief) research, it seems like almost everybody loves them! The negative comments were mainly for road noise, but it's better than the Bridgestone Ecopias I'm planning to replace.

By the way, you were looking at reviews for the + model, right?

Some people confuse the two in their reviews. I've noticed a review claim a manufacturing date code of mid 2016 when the CrossClimate + was released in 2017. I suppose it's possible they were manufacturing the tire already in mid-2016, but it's unlikely?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4604 upvotes
London
ES_Revenge wrote: Ah cool, never thought to use stocktrack to find tyre stock. I know about stocktrack, just never thought to use it for this. Good tip--thx! But alas no TS830Ps in my size, within 150km.

Edit: Also isn't the Si Plus the exact same thing? Something is making me think it is, and it just says "Plus" so CT doesn't have to PM and doesn't get PM'd elsewhere, no?
Yes, I think the "plus" version is a CT exclusive (like the TrueContact Touring) . The non plus version was replaced by the VikingContact
Oct 26, 2016
303 posts
391 upvotes
some1not wrote: LMFAO!!!!!

Why do you think they're clearing them out? LOL!!!!
:facepalm:

I'm done here, some people really don't get it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2709 posts
536 upvotes
the michelin cross climates. are these the tires that will still get you insurance discount for being safe in winter?