Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Dec. 1 - 8, 2022 Pennzoil 5L synthetic oil various grades for $34.99 plus $15 rebate limit 2 per address = $24.55 all in

Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
2082 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Car noob here. Looking to eventually change my own oil in the future. I have a 22 subaru outback. according to the manual it calls for 4.2L of 0W20 synthetic. What oil filter do you guys recommend? I see ones ranging from $10 Fram to $23 K&N and mid range $15 for Castrol. Which one should I choose?

Also do you guys replace the crush washer/gasket each time you change oil? Can I just get these off of Amazon? pretty generic for these right?
Aug 12, 2010
828 posts
470 upvotes
-KILO- wrote: Overkill and a waste of $ unless you are racing your car (which then you should change it after every track day), or your car SPECIFICALLY asks for it.
Curious what kind of car you have and if you track it.

But hey, you spend your $ how you want.
Cheers!
I buy it mostly because it flows a lot faster in extreme cold weather and doesn't evaporate much in extreme hot weather. Worth it to me on sale but would never pay regular price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6692 posts
1367 upvotes
A few years ago when I was doing one of these rebates something went wrong and my rebate application never got processed (and I didn't realize it at the time even though I got no confirmation). A few months later when I hadn't received my rebate I contacted Pennzoil (email) and they told me just to reprocess it which I did. Got my rebate 6 weeks or so after that.

A rebate not going through is not the end of the world. If you don't think it went through you can try reprocessing it right away. A duplicate will be rejected. Or you can wait a reasonable time to see if the rebate comes and then re-process if it doesn't.
Jan 5, 2010
355 posts
217 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
XSnapSX wrote: Car noob here. Looking to eventually change my own oil in the future. I have a 22 subaru outback. according to the manual it calls for 4.2L of 0W20 synthetic. What oil filter do you guys recommend? I see ones ranging from $10 Fram to $23 K&N and mid range $15 for Castrol. Which one should I choose?

Also do you guys replace the crush washer/gasket each time you change oil? Can I just get these off of Amazon? pretty generic for these right?

I would recommend getting an OEM filter from the dealer. For the vehicles I change oil on (Lexus and Mazda), the OEM filters from the dealer were actually cheaper than most filters sold elsewhere. And, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for awhile, you can ask if they will give you an extra 10-15% off if you buy multiple filters at one time. I have bought 10 at a time, and most recently 20 for my new car.

Regarding the crush washer, you can also buy those from the dealer. They are usually pretty cheap and then you don't have to worry about a mismatched size when you change oil. Or, buy 1 and take it to home depot or something and buy more there. And yes, it is good practice to change this every time you change oil. If you don't want to deal with the drain plug and crush washer, you can buy an EZ Oil Drain Valve (or Fumoto Drain Valve).
Jul 3, 2017
195 posts
294 upvotes
XSnapSX wrote: Car noob here. Looking to eventually change my own oil in the future. I have a 22 subaru outback. according to the manual it calls for 4.2L of 0W20 synthetic. What oil filter do you guys recommend? I see ones ranging from $10 Fram to $23 K&N and mid range $15 for Castrol. Which one should I choose?

I usually use Fram Toughguard for our vehicles. If I go down to the States, I'll grab a few of Walmart Supertech oil filters as they are decent filters for the price. I inspect the crush washers and if they are deformed, I;d use a new one. If they look ok, then they are re-used. Honda/Acura dealerships charge a fortune for crush washers so I get my washers from Rockauto or Partsavatar when I make order for air filters, etc, as filler items.
Dec 22, 2015
34 posts
12 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Thinking of purchasing four(4) of this, any idea if I can provide my home address and work address to get rebate for four (4) items?
Last edited by Bab_007 on Dec 6th, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12158 posts
3502 upvotes
So, called the number, they say that even though my first submission (which I did on my phone and didn't see the drop down to do 2 bottles), only had one bottle listed to claim, they look at everything on the receipt and rebate for the actual product. I had already done the submission again on a PC and saw the drop down to indicate 2 bottles, and it submitted, but she said it will automatically void anything more than the 2 bottles per person etc. guess time will tell and yes, those confirmation email was in my spam, so I deleted my original confirmation from spam by accident.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
2082 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
DiscountRaja wrote: I would recommend getting an OEM filter from the dealer. For the vehicles I change oil on (Lexus and Mazda), the OEM filters from the dealer were actually cheaper than most filters sold elsewhere. And, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for awhile, you can ask if they will give you an extra 10-15% off if you buy multiple filters at one time. I have bought 10 at a time, and most recently 20 for my new car.

Regarding the crush washer, you can also buy those from the dealer. They are usually pretty cheap and then you don't have to worry about a mismatched size when you change oil. Or, buy 1 and take it to home depot or something and buy more there. And yes, it is good practice to change this every time you change oil. If you don't want to deal with the drain plug and crush washer, you can buy an EZ Oil Drain Valve (or Fumoto Drain Valve).
Any suggestions on where I can get EZ Oil Drain Valve or Fumoto Drain Valve? shipping is quite a bit from their website directly.

Thanks
Jan 5, 2010
355 posts
217 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
XSnapSX wrote: Any suggestions on where I can get EZ Oil Drain Valve or Fumoto Drain Valve? shipping is quite a bit from their website directly.

Thanks
I'm in Edmonton, there are a few local places here. For you in Toronto (I presume), their website identifies the following places: https://ezoildrainvalve.com/dealer-locator.html

Fumoto is a bit trickier to get, at least for me. amazon has it, but $$$.

Capture.JPG
Feb 9, 2011
872 posts
434 upvotes
Bab_007 wrote: Thinking of purchasing four(4) of this, any idea if I can provide my house address and work address to get rebate for four (4) items?
Curious to know as well.
Mar 28, 2019
156 posts
141 upvotes
XSnapSX wrote: Any suggestions on where I can get EZ Oil Drain Valve or Fumoto Drain Valve? shipping is quite a bit from their website directly.

Thanks
Amazon
Jan 10, 2006
773 posts
682 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote: So, called the number, they say that even though my first submission (which I did on my phone and didn't see the drop down to do 2 bottles), only had one bottle listed to claim, they look at everything on the receipt and rebate for the actual product. I had already done the submission again on a PC and saw the drop down to indicate 2 bottles, and it submitted, but she said it will automatically void anything more than the 2 bottles per person etc. guess time will tell and yes, those confirmation email was in my spam, so I deleted my original confirmation from spam by accident.
I called and got the same reply as well. My concern about not having seen the drop down box to specify 2 bottles was put to rest as they clarified they go by what is on the receipt, not the form. They also mentioned they got multiple calls about this same issue and are aware of the confusion.

And yes the confirmation email went to spam on a gmail account. Luckily I checked there.

The status of the rebate is now showing at https://www.shellrebatecenter.com/pennzoil as "in progress". It was not showing up yesterday immediately after filing. I thought I selected Interac for the method of payment, but it shows "Check." Oh well, as long as it all works out in the end.
Jun 10, 2022
56 posts
79 upvotes
Pretty sure I selected the option for platinum and selected 2 in the check box. After submitting, I checked my receipt and it says one platinum 0w20 and one ultra 0w16...

Hopefully they aren't too picky.
Dec 17, 2019
289 posts
161 upvotes
After “ in process “ what should we see in status? Confirmed, paid ?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2014
1009 posts
1546 upvotes
AB
fishychips wrote: How does this oil compare to Mobil One?
Both have wide range of products. For everyday driving, either brand of oil will be good.
Nov 24, 2020
719 posts
1881 upvotes

Thanks
Both my cars have EZ valves for a couple of years now. Valves are fantastic and I would recommend them to any car enthusiast who does oil changes. Oil change is a breeze. I bought on Black Friday 2020 with a discount and free shipping from https://www.ezoildrain.ca . They have stock in Vancouver.

I also ordered 16mm dia. (I believe) single spring clamps ( a small bag of clamps, cheap) from AliExress to secure the valve opener in a closed position even more, just in case. Checked all the local stores and did not find such spring clamps, but AE sells them, no problem.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
2082 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
coooldude wrote: Is anyone else experiencing a problem trying to submit the online rebate? I fill out the first page and click "Next" , but it does not move to the next page and I have to redo everything all over again. I tried other browsers and am having the same issue.
i have the same issue. any fix?
fizikz wrote: AAargghh!! Just realized that you have to specify the quantity of 2 in a hidden text box that appears when checking the product box!! I didn't see that at first and my submission is for 1 indicated by a "-1". Super unclear!

What's the best way to correct the submission? Call them? Would making a second submission get both invalidated?
Where is this hidden box? im having troubles submitting this form

Did it through mobile and was able to proceed if anyone else is having issues.
Jan 10, 2006
773 posts
682 upvotes
XSnapSX wrote: Where is this hidden box? im having troubles submitting this form

The hidden box shows up right next to the checkbox for selecting the product you purchased. At least on the desktop website. Someone else mentioned they did not see it when they used the mobile site.

In any case, the customer service said they go by what's on the receipt, not the form.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12158 posts
3502 upvotes
XSnapSX wrote: i have the same issue. any fix?
Where is this hidden box? im having troubles submitting this form

fizikz wrote: The hidden box shows up right next to the checkbox for selecting the product you purchased. At least on the desktop website. Someone else mentioned they did not see it when they used the mobile site.

In any case, the customer service said they go by what's on the receipt, not the form.
I did my submission on my phone as well and didn't see to click the dropdown, or didn't see it in general... hopefully as they said, they'll go by what's actually on the receipt
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.