Canadian Tire Destroyed my Rims

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 9:20 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote

Canadian Tire Destroyed my Rims

Hi everyone, looking for advice. I think I'm out of luck though.

Around 5 months ago I went to Canadian Tire on Innes Rd in Ottawa (Orleans - East end) and had them put 4 new tires on my 2015 F150. I took the truck home and once there I noticed there was black smudges all over the edges of the chromed rims. My landlord who was there with me says "oh that's bead seal.. it'll wash off the next time youre in the car wash." I say "you'd think they'd wipe it off" as I touch a little with my finger and it seems to wipe off. I forget about it and move on with life thinking it'll wash off.

A few weeks ago I am putting air in my tires and I see the same stuff still there so I start to wipe it off with a wet rag but it doesnt budge and I feel the rag catching. I touch it with my finger nail and realize its the edge of the chrome... like it has been chipped. All 4 rims are like this... mostly the fronts back the backs too in areas. I took it back to CT and the service manager comes out, agrees it's chipped but it wasnt them because their machine doesnt touch the rim edge and proceeds to tell me they dont change tires with tire irons... I think thats what he meant anyways. I thought "no kidding... who would use tire irons to change massive truck tires?" I can tell he's not going to do anything for me so I say "ok, lets go inside, I'll your name and the store owners name" and he turns and looks at me like I'm weird and says "the owners name? I'll give you my card". He gets me his card and I say nicely(I recorded it actually to cover myself) ok, prepare for war and as hes walking away yells at me "Do what you gotta do! I aint worried!"

Ive included a couple pics... at first I thought it was chipped off the edge but now I think it might be something to put on the rim that ate the chrome... it looks swirly. Is that possible? I dont think so but it kind of looks like it was eaten away in same place... but in others it looks like it was chipped off.

So... anyone see anything like this before? I'm about to call the 1-800 number but I'm expecting they will tell me to jump in the lake just like the service manager did. Im upset because i strive to keep my truck perfect and I dont have loads of money... and these guys go and destroy thousands of dollars worth of rims and tell me too bad. I cant afford to get new ones that's for sure.

Joe in Ottawa
Images
  • 20200905_151241.jpg
  • 20200905_151331.jpg
13 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13415 posts
8373 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Another CT horror story, nothing new.

Contact news media if all fails.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9384 posts
8275 upvotes
Markham
Nothing will happen. That damage is not big enough for the Manager to care or the media to care. You might get a coupon or something.

Just call it what it is, you shouldn't have gone to CT. So never go there again. Consider it a lesson.

Also that's not terribly hard to fix, sand that down smooth and coat it with some clearcoat. Done.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10819 posts
7162 upvotes
GTA, ON
Friends don't let friends do any kind of auto service at Canadian Tire.

I thought that was a RFD standard.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13121 posts
7200 upvotes
Toronto
jhca5113 wrote: Hi everyone, looking for advice. I think I'm out of luck though.

Around 5 months ago I went to Canadian Tire on Innes Rd in Ottawa (Orleans - East end) and had them put 4 new tires on my 2015 F150. I took the truck home and once there I noticed there was black smudges all over the edges of the chromed rims. My landlord who was there with me says "oh that's bead seal.. it'll wash off the next time youre in the car wash." I say "you'd think they'd wipe it off" as I touch a little with my finger and it seems to wipe off. I forget about it and move on with life thinking it'll wash off.

A few weeks ago I am putting air in my tires and I see the same stuff still there so I start to wipe it off with a wet rag but it doesnt budge and I feel the rag catching. I touch it with my finger nail and realize its the edge of the chrome... like it has been chipped. All 4 rims are like this... mostly the fronts back the backs too in areas. I took it back to CT and the service manager comes out, agrees it's chipped but it wasnt them because their machine doesnt touch the rim edge and proceeds to tell me they dont change tires with tire irons... I think thats what he meant anyways. I thought "no kidding... who would use tire irons to change massive truck tires?" I can tell he's not going to do anything for me so I say "ok, lets go inside, I'll your name and the store owners name" and he turns and looks at me like I'm weird and says "the owners name? I'll give you my card". He gets me his card and I say nicely(I recorded it actually to cover myself) ok, prepare for war and as hes walking away yells at me "Do what you gotta do! I aint worried!"

Ive included a couple pics... at first I thought it was chipped off the edge but now I think it might be something to put on the rim that ate the chrome... it looks swirly. Is that possible? I dont think so but it kind of looks like it was eaten away in same place... but in others it looks like it was chipped off.

So... anyone see anything like this before? I'm about to call the 1-800 number but I'm expecting they will tell me to jump in the lake just like the service manager did. Im upset because i strive to keep my truck perfect and I dont have loads of money... and these guys go and destroy thousands of dollars worth of rims and tell me too bad. I cant afford to get new ones that's for sure.

Joe in Ottawa
game over, 5 months have gone by.

You would have probably been SOL 5 DAYS after the fact...5 months you have no leg to stand on.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3341 posts
586 upvotes
GTA
CT can easily say that this issue was caused at some point between when they did the work and now given that five months has passed. Unfortunately I think you're completely out of luck now.
Sep 4, 2006
737 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
The tire machine didn't do that. It likely has a nylon shoe like most modern mounters. Even if they still have a metal shoe, it doesn't touch the wheel. Chrome wheels peel. However, I don't think your wheels are chrome, I think they are polished and clear coated. Your wheels were peeling/corroding (yes, aluminum rusts, it's just not orange). You didn't notice. The bead sealer got slapped on, and stuck to the raw aluminum that is on the exposed area where the chrome/clear is missing. Walk around a grocery store parking lot, and look at other shiny wheels (chrome or polished). There will be corrosion and chipping on many of the wheels.

Source: I've mounted hundreds of tires, I see chrome and polished wheels regularly, and have a set of chrome wheels for one of my cars, and polished on another one.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27429 posts
7754 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Complain to

-the manager
-head office
-report it on social media and or traditional media
-threaten to sue!
-document everything. Pictures, receipts, journal log with time & date of all correspondence.
-send legal demand letter demAnding action
Seems like Karen OP did all that already lol.

Came in thread, looked for "destroyed" wheels thought there would be popcorn to grab. Disappointment when we find out:
-Wheels...not "destroyed"
-Car not even race car
-If not race car, how can be destroyed?
-Happened 5 months ago...anything could have happened since (which is exactly what CT will say)
-Popcorn stays firmly in microwave packet
Nov 10, 2015
271 posts
232 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I am still in shock when I drive by a CT and see their service area packed with cars...
It's almost like people are terrified of regular mechanic shops because they think they will get taken advatage of. Yet go to CT cuz it is a known parts store. Weird
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5089 posts
2700 upvotes
Toronto
kammj1 wrote: I am still in shock when I drive by a CT and see their service area packed with cars...
It's almost like people are terrified of regular mechanic shops because they think they will get taken advatage of. Yet go to CT cuz it is a known parts store. Weird
Power of advertisement for 98 years.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1271 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
kammj1 wrote: I am still in shock when I drive by a CT and see their service area packed with cars...
I'd imagine for the most part people have good or average experiences there. I know tons of people that have gone there without issues at all. If they were all as bad as made out to be here at times, I don't think they would be in business...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10748 posts
2614 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
5 Months ago, forget it. If I worked there I would say if this had happened before then you would of came back the same day or the next day not 5 months ago. Sorry but there is no way you can win this one as its to long ago. If it bothers you then take it to a professional and get it repaired however if you waited 5 months to clean it I don't think it bothers you much.

Also don't go to crappy tire for anything car related. Go to a dedicated tire shop who has the proper updated tire machines that will not scratch or damage your wheels.
0_o
<_<
>_>