Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Filterette maximum allergen 1900 furnace air filter 2 pack $33.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2021 6:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6228 posts
2509 upvotes
Canuckland

[Canadian Tire] Filterette maximum allergen 1900 furnace air filter 2 pack $33.99

Great deal for allergen merv 13 air filters, plus you can stack $10 cashback over $50 when purchasing 2 units with triangle rewards

If your unit fits 16x25x1, it may be better to get kirklands off of Costco since it’s 2200 MPR and free shipping https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signatur ... 09191.html
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4877 posts
6164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
These double as furnace killers.. great deal!
Aug 20, 2019
409 posts
496 upvotes
London, Ontario
killoverme wrote: killers?
Standard home furnaces only (typically) require a rating of MERV 8. Furnace filters are designed to protect your furnace by keeping the debris from the air return out of it.
Unless your furnace is rated for a higher MERV rating you are putting a ton of extra strain on the system as the fan's are not designed to try to pull against that much resistance.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3201 posts
3611 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: These double as furnace killers.. great deal!
Yeah I used to buy the largest Merv or MPR rating thinking higher number is better.. But after I educate myself a bit, I started only using at highest 1200 MPR 3M ones. Higher resistance actually ends up doing more harm than good to the furnace. It can apparently even wear down / damage the heat exchange during the winter.

In general, filters are to protect the blower from dust, it isn't meant to be used to air purify. You are better off to buy room air purifiers for that purpose instead.

All the HVAC guys that ever came to my house has always recommended to just get a cheap one as its purpose is to protect the furnace from accumulating dust.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5592 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
maddmaxx308 wrote:
Standard home furnaces only (typically) require a rating of MERV 8. Furnace filters are designed to protect your furnace by keeping the debris from the air return out of it.
Unless your furnace is rated for a higher MERV rating you are putting a ton of extra strain on the system as the fan's are not designed to try to pull against that much resistance.
renegadeavenger wrote: Yeah I used to buy the largest Merv or MPR rating thinking higher number is better.. But after I educate myself a bit, I started only using at highest 1200 MPR 3M ones. Higher resistance actually ends up doing more harm than good to the furnace. It can apparently even wear down / damage the heat exchange during the winter.

In general, filters are to protect the blower from dust, it isn't meant to be used to air purify. You are better off to buy room air purifiers for that purpose instead.

All the HVAC guys that ever came to my house has always recommended to just get a cheap one as its purpose is to protect the furnace from accumulating dust.
I see. I've been using MERV 13 for a couple years now and its blowing fine. So I assume this is fine for me... I think when I bought the house it was MERV 13 too...
Jul 23, 2013
40 posts
79 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks OP. Cheaper per unit than the 3-pack from Home Depot.
Aug 20, 2019
409 posts
496 upvotes
London, Ontario
killoverme wrote: I see. I've been using MERV 13 for a couple years now and its blowing fine. So I assume this is fine for me... I think when I bought the house it was MERV 13 too...
There will be a rating on your furnace for the filter type it's rated for, if there isn't you can google the model number for specifics.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5592 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
maddmaxx308 wrote: There will be a rating on your furnace for the filter type it's rated for, if there isn't you can google the model number for specifics.
Okay thanks will check.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7496 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to upgrade to a 4” or 5” filter.

This will give you more surface area and allow better air flow. You can safely use higher MERV rated filters as dust will accumulate at the bottom of the pleats. There is still plenty of surface area around the pleats (The V groove)

I generally use a MERV 10 in the winter and a MERV 8 in the summer. You don’t need anything better than that unless you have serious allergies. As mentioned above, the filter is not designed to clean the air.
Aug 30, 2007
269 posts
416 upvotes
Calgary
Good info, will have to look into this.

Thanks guys!
Jan 6, 2007
90 posts
24 upvotes
Thanks for the posts guys.. I was hell bent on buying the Merv 13. Now I can peacefully got for a lower rating.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6228 posts
2509 upvotes
Canuckland
er34er34 wrote: These double as furnace killers.. great deal!
If you don’t have a furnace that supports it

RTFM
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4877 posts
6164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DealCanuck wrote: If you don’t have a furnace that supports it

RTFM
Most people don't and most furnaces don't, why don't you share which furnace you have that can support such a restrictive 1" filter?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3484 posts
3584 upvotes
GTA
er34er34 wrote: Most people don't and most furnaces don't, why don't you share which furnace you have that can support such a restrictive 1" filter?
That's true. I called the manufacturer of my furnace and they recommend MERV 8 for 1" filters. I run MERV 6 in the summer to get better airflow with the AC.