Automotive

FRAM filters

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 2:33 pm
[OP]
Member
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes

FRAM filters

I have noticed that both Canadian Tire and PartSource have been advertising FRAM filters on sale for the past few weeks "from $4.99"

Does anyone know which makes a models this sale is for? I can't find any filters that are actually that low in price. Most seem to be the normal price.
62 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2006
658 posts
293 upvotes
Enter your vehicle information to see the particular pricing. FYI, you posted in HOT Deals.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1965 posts
1817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Also I've read a few threads that FRAM is the one brand you don't want in your car
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4485 posts
2968 upvotes
chevyz07 wrote: Also I've read a few threads that FRAM is the one brand you don't want in your car
if you follow their recommend change intervals they should be just as good. Its only when you exceed it then things start going bad.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1369 posts
1189 upvotes
chevyz07 wrote: Also I've read a few threads that FRAM is the one brand you don't want in your car
They're the absolute bottom-dollar option. I wouldn't put one in a car worth more than $1,000. If you have an old car, why not.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1640 posts
1875 upvotes
Airdrie
chevyz07 wrote: Also I've read a few threads that FRAM is the one brand you don't want in your car
cristianosham wrote:
if you follow their recommend change intervals they should be just as good. Its only when you exceed it then things start going bad.
Fram comes in three varieties:
Extra
Tough
Ultra

The Ultra is a little pricier than your standard filter but if you trust the egg heads over at bitog (bobistheoilguy.com) it is the most recommended and highest quality filter out there.

Fram gaurantees its filtration rating for up to 32,000kms of use.

On my cheap Toyota I throw a Fram Ultra on and just leave it on for about 4 oil change intervals (somewhere around 20 - 25k kms), so I am just draining and filling the oil. A fumoto valve that I can reach without lifting up my car makes the oil change a 10 min process, and most of that is just waiting for the oil to drain.

For the OP, the only frams I've seen at the $5 price point are the orange Extras. I would confidently use them for 5 - 6k kms, but not much more.
Jr. Member
Nov 10, 2019
154 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The Fram extra guard (the orange cantina) is a crap low quality filter. Only use it if you drive a rusted beater. The tough guard and ultra are better quality ones but more pricey.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18609 posts
6030 upvotes
London
I thought the "orange can of death" myth was debunked years ago

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eati ... o-1261517/

Eating crow, Fram oil filters, and my visit to Fram's R&D facility in Dayton Ohio

The subject of oil filters, like conventional vs. synthetic oil, is an emotional subject for many. I have to admit that over the past 10-15 years, I was caught up in the oil filter debates and formed some very strong opinions… particularly about Fram’s oil filters. Based on what I had seen posted on the Internet, I became a fairly vocal anti-Fram oil filter type individual.

Personally, I had settled on AC-Delco and Purolator’s oil filters and they are what I had been running in all my vehicles. I was comfortable for many years with my opinion that AC-Delco, Purolator, Wix, etc. oil filters were good and that Fram was bad.

Much to my personal embarrassment, I recently learned that I have been wrong about Fram’s oil filters.....................
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 9th, 2020 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Member
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
I think it's just the air filters on sale this week, although I did also see the oil filters in a recent flyer.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3868 upvotes
Flunk wrote: They're the absolute bottom-dollar option. I wouldn't put one in a car worth more than $1,000. If you have an old car, why not.
Ignore this user, he obviously lives in the era where he thinks japanese cars are the bomb and everything else is crap.

Frams are one of the top rated filters, especially the ultra. Like mcwilly I bought a Ultra and I will leave it for at least 2 intervals (12k-15k kms each with my synthetic oil). I'll continue buying these and are only 10-12 from walmart
[OP]
Member
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Ignore this user, he obviously lives in the era where he thinks japanese cars are the bomb and everything else is crap.

Frams are one of the top rated filters, especially the ultra. Like mcwilly I bought a Ultra and I will leave it for at least 2 intervals (12k-15k kms each with my synthetic oil). I'll continue buying these and are only 10-12 from walmart
What cars are bomb then? I think there has been a general decline in reliability across the entire industry. Which brands are more reliable than Honda and Toyota? Not any German or American cars that I know of.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3868 upvotes
KhetysTeachings wrote: What cars are bomb then? I think there has been a general decline in reliability across the entire industry. Which brands are more reliable than Honda and Toyota? Not any German or American cars that I know of.
Even a Dodge is more reliable than a honda. If someone is putting a gun to my head and makes me pick between the 2, I'm going dodge, something I would've never considered 10 years ago
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33226 posts
15040 upvotes
As some have mentioned the high-end Fram is quite good, and always has been*. However at typical pricing, there are often filters that are as good but cheaper. However it isn't to say sales don't make it a good buy; plus they are found on pretty much every street corner whereas you can't exactly find less popular brands (in Canada especially) without going to the likes of Napa, out-of-the-way specialty shops, or buying online often from US.

*For whatever reason Fram continually changes the name for their top filter--even naming it differently in the US than in Canada at times. It's gone by "X2", "Ultra", "the Synthetic Oil Filter", just to name a few. However internally I'm pretty sure it has always been known as Extended Guard as the part# is always XG prefix (TG = Tough Guard; PH = Extra Guard; etc.)
Member
Nov 10, 2015
379 posts
390 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
mcwilly wrote: Fram comes in three varieties:
Extra
Tough
Ultra

The Ultra is a little pricier than your standard filter but if you trust the egg heads over at bitog (bobistheoilguy.com) it is the most recommended and highest quality filter out there.

Fram gaurantees its filtration rating for up to 32,000kms of use.

On my cheap Toyota I throw a Fram Ultra on and just leave it on for about 4 oil change intervals (somewhere around 20 - 25k kms), so I am just draining and filling the oil. A fumoto valve that I can reach without lifting up my car makes the oil change a 10 min process, and most of that is just waiting for the oil to drain.

For the OP, the only frams I've seen at the $5 price point are the orange Extras. I would confidently use them for 5 - 6k kms, but not much more.

Ummm.. Do not take this persons advice. Regardless of the filter, change it each time you change your oil.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
kammj1 wrote: Ummm.. Do not take this persons advice. Regardless of the filter, change it each time you change your oil.
This is what I do, change filter every time I do the oil change. I have been using Fram Oil Filter from day 1, never had problem with it. Usually I purchase Fram oil filter and Castrol GTX from Walmart. Lately I have brought 4 jug of Castrol GTX from Canadian Tire when it was on sale.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1640 posts
1875 upvotes
Airdrie
kammj1 wrote: Ummm.. Do not take this persons advice. Regardless of the filter, change it each time you change your oil.
Hah yes this is the oldest debate among car folks. Its like republican vs democratic.

I have multiple used oil analysis showing perfect engine wear on my 275,000km vehicle using my method. And at the same time I am saving money and reducing waste.

The only reason I would change the filter everytime is if the car was still under warranty and required it. Most Honda service manuals only recommend changing the oil filter every other oil change.

To each their own, do what makes you happy. If I'm going to buy a 32,000km filter, I'm not going to throw it out at 5,000kms.

There's no evidence suggesting any negative impact to using a filter within its rated specs.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
I heard about people taking long round trip say Montreal to Toronto, when they get back home they usually change oil and I presume they change oil filter as well.
[OP]
Member
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
MasterMK wrote: I heard about people taking long round trip say Montreal to Toronto, when they get back home they usually change oil and I presume they change oil filter as well.
Yes, I've never heard of re-using a filter before. Maybe it's okay, but that seems like an unnecessary risk to take for something that costs no more than $15-16 bucks. Filters are a lot cheaper than new engines.

Changing the oil and filter for a round trip like that is a bit excessive. The most aggressive oil change interval I have seen recommended is 3,000 km. You could make three round trips between Toronto and Montreal at that distance.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2989 posts
1326 upvotes
GTA
MasterMK wrote: I heard about people taking long round trip say Montreal to Toronto, when they get back home they usually change oil and I presume they change oil filter as well.
Considering that relatively uninterrupted highway driving is the easiest type of driving to put on oil, that's so wasteful I don't even have the words to describe it.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)