Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Free Conventional Oil Change For Triangle Members

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2018 4:50 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2525 posts
1046 upvotes
Burnaby
zzzz24 wrote: I wouldn’t go there for a free synthetic oil change !
ask them for the oil and filter in the back of your trunk, then do it yourself. ;)

anyone know if they will do a motorhome oilchange? its basically a Ford E350 superduty van.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1214 posts
867 upvotes
Ottawa
Obviously YMMV. I have been getting oil changes at 2 local CT for 14 years. Once $3 was stolen from my car and I reported it and avoided the location for a while. Yes, they upsell for repairs and I always get a second opinion. A year ago they actually discovered loose bolts on my tire - I thought I just needed balancing or had ice buildup. This could have ended up much worse.

Their roadside assistance pays for itself with free/discounted oil changes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Psykopathik wrote: ask them for the oil and filter in the back of your trunk, then do it yourself. ;)

anyone know if they will do a motorhome oilchange? its basically a Ford E350 superduty van.
Max 5L or so of oil.
Oct 24, 2008
156 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Ok guys, I know that you all want to know if there are any suckers who would bring their car to CT.
I am the one. Guilty of trying to get something for nothing.
I brought the van for the free oil change to CT at Rutherford in Thornhill and it went well. At least I couldn't find any issues (yet).

Then I've sent my mom with the second coupon to Centerpoint (Yonge and Steels, Toronto) location. According to the invoice, they put the wrong grade oil. They also upsale on the upgraded oil filter without consent from the customer.

When I've called to ask why they found possible to use not recommended by the manufacturer oil, I was lectured by their auto dept rep that their mechanics ALWAYS put right oil and it doesn't matter what the invoice said. No apologies or oil change was offered.
I called to the store manager but with no help, she redirected me back to auto dept.

I am attaching my invoice here.

And my Google review is here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2003
8346 posts
1087 upvotes
Edmonton
chevale wrote: Then I've sent my mom with the second coupon to Centerpoint (Yonge and Steels, Toronto) location. According to the invoice, they put the wrong grade oil. They also upsale on the upgraded oil filter without consent from the customer.
I made sure the guy selected the correct oil for my Jetta, and that is what they put in. As for the upgrade -the coupon only covers $5 off a motomaster filter, the "upgrade" is the actual cost of the filter after the $5 discount.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2004
1049 posts
622 upvotes
Earth
Every place has their issues with people. I took my Honda to the "dealer" to get the timing belt changed (since its a 7 hour job and I read many places dont do it correctly so i trusted the stealer..) They forgot to tighten a bolt on a pulley. Blew the new belt. They did fix their mistake @ $1500 in repares. Blew on the highway...

I was going to use the free coupon today then read they use motomaster filters. Then changed my mind because of this. The filter is the same on two of my cars.

Im not saying these bad filters. Im no filter expert Winking Face But look at the pictures. I must have shortened the life of my engine. You can see the paper dissolving. One fiter the end separted and oil blew by. One is a Motormaster the other is Fram. I do my own oil changes. I heard never buy certain filters. So opened them up. These are from 2015. Maybe things are better now.

Just doing community service here..
20150322_161435 - Copy.jpg
20150322_161508 - Copy.jpg
20150322_161119 - Copy.jpg
20150322_161308 - Copy.jpg
Jul 11, 2006
126 posts
74 upvotes
I wonder of managers a CT ever get to read these comments? Scary, but the truth is out there ..somewhere
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
chevale wrote: Ok guys, I know that you all want to know if there are any suckers who would bring their car to CT.
I am the one. Guilty of trying to get something for nothing.
I brought the van for the free oil change to CT at Rutherford in Thornhill and it went well. At least I couldn't find any issues (yet).

Then I've sent my mom with the second coupon to Centerpoint (Yonge and Steels, Toronto) location. According to the invoice, they put the wrong grade oil. They also upsale on the upgraded oil filter without consent from the customer.

When I've called to ask why they found possible to use not recommended by the manufacturer oil, I was lectured by their auto dept rep that their mechanics ALWAYS put right oil and it doesn't matter what the invoice said. No apologies or oil change was offered.
I called to the store manager but with no help, she redirected me back to auto dept.

I am attaching my invoice here.

And my Google review is here.
Motor oil is motor oil. If it wasn't on the invoice - you would never notice it was a different grade. Car manufacturers only "recommend" the oil grade, not absolutely require it. Your only mistake was taking your car to Canadian Tire.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Tommy74 wrote: Motor oil is motor oil. If it wasn't on the invoice - you would never notice it was a different grade. Car manufacturers only "recommend" the oil grade, not absolutely require it. Your only mistake was taking your car to Canadian Tire.
Please do not make such a broad statement!
Jul 11, 2004
933 posts
163 upvotes
I was reluctant to take my vehicle into CT for a free oil change. But I did and it went smooth. The assistant service manager asked to see my triangle card, then wrote up the work order. I paid $4.44 for filter upgrade and taxes.

I wasn't upsold anything. I did check oil filter and oil level after to make sure filter was changed and oil was filled correct. So far no drips.

Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Tommy74 wrote: Motor oil is motor oil. If it wasn't on the invoice - you would never notice it was a different grade. Car manufacturers only "recommend" the oil grade, not absolutely require it. Your only mistake was taking your car to Canadian Tire.
I hope you're not a mechanic...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
U4IA wrote: I hope you're not a mechanic...
Mechanic would tell you the same thing. One oil change with wrong grade oil will do zero damage to your engine. 99.9% drivers wouldn't notice wrong oil. 0.1% claim that they feel engine behaving differently on synthetic vs dino oil. Have you ever heard about running oil for diesel engines (trucks and tractors) in motorcycle engine? Probably not, but many people use Rotella oil in motorcycles with great success. Google it, specially older bikes run great on diesel oil. Recommended by manufacturer- of course not, tested and proved to work great - yes. And Canadian Tire is not the best place to service your car. Period.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Cheapest oil and filter possible? With an unskilled person (ie. non-licensed / non-apprentice) doing the work? No thanks. I don't care how free it is.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
Tommy74 wrote: Mechanic would tell you the same thing. One oil change with wrong grade oil will do zero damage to your engine. 99.9% drivers wouldn't notice wrong oil. 0.1% claim that they feel engine behaving differently on synthetic vs dino oil. Have you ever heard about running oil for diesel engines (trucks and tractors) in motorcycle engine? Probably not, but many people use Rotella oil in motorcycles with great success. Google it, specially older bikes run great on diesel oil. Recommended by manufacturer- of course not, tested and proved to work great - yes. And Canadian Tire is not the best place to service your car. Period.
None of that is relevant. You should always use manufacturer-recommended oil if you do not want to have any warranty issues with them. Using anything else will give them grounds to try to deny coverage claiming you did not maintain the engine properly. Doesn't matter what the Internet or uncle Bob says.
Apr 24, 2018
114 posts
82 upvotes
do you really think a licensed mechanic will be doing your oil changes at the dealer, even apprentice's probably not doing them any more. More like the lot person on min wage.
A long time ago I took my Toyota pick up in for an oil change. Was done correctly, went to pay and bill came to over 100.00. Asked the writer why so expensive. he said a licensed mechanic did the work so I had to pay for .5 hour at full rate, plus oil and filter and gasket. I asked to meet the mechanic so I could verify if he worked on my truck. My request was denied. Hmmmm. I pointed out the sign on window showed oil changes were only 29.95 and if he looked up my record he would find I only paid 29.95 in the past. He said that is all I would have to pay if someone other than the licensed mechanic worked on my truck. At this point I was getting very frustrated with this clown and asked to see the service manager. After a quick discussion with the service manager, i paid 29.95. As I was leaving the service manager was loudly correcting the error of the clowns ways.
I never went back
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
GT!! wrote: None of that is relevant. You should always use manufacturer-recommended oil if you do not want to have any warranty issues with them. Using anything else will give them grounds to try to deny coverage claiming you did not maintain the engine properly. Doesn't matter what the Internet or uncle Bob says.
At least I mentioned "Canadian Tire " in my post in relation to original post ;-) And your wording "should" and "recommended" just proves my point - it's not a must. Unless they send your oil to lab for testing they can't prove anything. Many smaller garages can charge customers for Golden Grade Supersonic Oil- and pour them cheapest dino stuff straight from the bulk drum. Happens all the time and to many unaware customers. Remember the Marketplace episode where garages were just topping up old oil and charging for full oil change? And for the Rotella - I've been using it for over 15 years in my bike and I am really happy with it. So not all the stuff you read here comes from "Internet" or your uncle.
Aug 25, 2015
247 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Can i bring my own mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic oil and honda filter to change oil free of labour charge at CT to my 2015 honda crv?
I received free conventional oil change in my email. or better to go honda dealer?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ahtusavis wrote: Can i bring my own mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic oil and honda filter to change oil free of labour charge at CT to my 2015 honda crv?
I received free conventional oil change in my email. or better to go honda dealer?
If you don't have a reliable independent mechanic, than yes, better to go to Honda.
Even stealership's workmanship is not guaranteed to be top notch quality work.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3812 posts
4200 upvotes
Mordor
derass wrote: Cheapest oil and filter possible? With an unskilled person (ie. non-licensed / non-apprentice) doing the work? No thanks. I don't care how free it is.

not saying you should go there....but it is an oil change....not brain surgery, it is just messy and annoying to do it yourself