2510 posts
912 upvotes
Ottawa

[Canadian Tire] Garmin Drive 50 LMT Car GPS $66.43 (IN-STORE Clearance) YMMV

Garmin Drive 50 LMT Car GPS, 5-in
*Was $189.99
Now $66.43
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garm ... 4045p.html

It is a very hot deal for a dedicated gps if you are interested. If you are fine using your cell phone's gps, please move on, this item is not for you.
You can check stock and price using stocktrack, it is on clearance and available at most stores for $66.43. According to stocktrack, the sale will end on 2019-05-02.
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=ct&q=0354045
Last edited by alwaysbuylow on Apr 28th, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
277 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2136 posts
2574 upvotes
Langley, BC
I wonder what has more accurate traffic. This thing or google maps? Or do they have the same source?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1231 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
joo wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 5:51 pm
Google maps probably.. I think Google is constantly updating based on data feeds and crowd sourcing via Waze (which they own).
Garmin, it depends on the type of device.
https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=i ... t7iwvYnz18
Thanks for the info, used to have Garmin on the car, now replace by Google maps. Not much value on the spare GPS device.
Simple is the best.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1845 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, a phone with data will beat any dedicated GPS hands down.
I bought for my luddite brother who doesn't have a data plan.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2179 posts
1839 upvotes
Calgary
Ideally, manufacturers should stop using their own navigation, and instead include CarPlay and Android Auto in every car. I think Subaru has CP and AA with every vehicle they sell so that’s a good start.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2698 posts
339 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a super old Garmin GPS and I still keep it around. I actually like to take it travelling in the States if I happen to rent a car. It's quite handy and I don't need to worry about my cell phone battery running out or the gps signal cutting out. Thanks OP, might pick this up if I can find stock.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3200 posts
443 upvotes
Hamilton
Standalone GPS units are still good for long hauls to the US since roaming data is still stupid expensive.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1575 posts
292 upvotes
I have this.
Download the Smart Link app for iOS and it can SEND the address to the Garmin so I don't have to type on the GPS itself.
The voice command are quite accurate for my SAVED PLACE, GO HOME, and some settings like volume.

I also loved having a standalone warning system like the Speed Limit warning around school zone, parks, and unknown road that you haven't seen a Speed Limit sign for a while.
I also found myself to drive closer to the speed limit with its display of numeric current speed instead of the physical needle. I can push the to 58km/hr in a 50 zone and the cops most likely won't ticket a 8km.
It can read your text messages to you, emails, answer phone calls etc. I've turned those off now as I don't need when my phone is next to the GPS already.
Last edited by story on Apr 30th, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5822 posts
1881 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Wow awesome deal. My dad was actually looking for a new GPS so I sent him this. I called him and he said he already bought one at canadiantire. It was a tomtom and got it for 52$ on clearance hehe.
Oct 17, 2016
26 posts
14 upvotes
Just want to add my 2 cents, i have the garmin 2589 lmt and it uses here maps, not google maps. It is very spotty in terms of accuracy, especially for the traffic. Even then, unless you get a 'digital' traffic device, you only get updates on major highways. In my case in Toronto, I only ever saw traffic updates for the 401, 407 and the DVP. It gets the data using fm frequencies rather than a digital signal.

On top of all this, an update in the last 2 months crippled the traffic functionality, so now it's just a non traffic gps for me.
Still beats taking the phone out of my pocket and setting it up everytime I drive.
Mar 15, 2019
43 posts
14 upvotes
had one before. didn't like the resolution, couldn't squeeze enough info in 480 x 272 5" screen. got 2689LMT instead, 800x400 rez
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24181 posts
4471 upvotes
litebrite wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 6:22 pm
I have a super old Garmin GPS and I still keep it around. I actually like to take it travelling in the States if I happen to rent a car. It's quite handy and I don't need to worry about my cell phone battery running out or the gps signal cutting out. Thanks OP, might pick this up if I can find stock.
These city slickers who have never gone anywhere don't get that AA and cellphone-based navigation is not the same for actual navigating as a dedicated GPS. I guess they've never not had data, been in an area with low signal, or tried to go very long navigating with a phone and battery power.

I honestly think these ppl who think AA or cell-based navigating is some end-all and be-all, are out to lunch. Now yes Google Maps, etc. have some advantages like traffic info, but really that's not all that important anyway; and it can be counter-intuitive. Anyone that has navigated around with Waze and had it drive you all over the goddamn place for nearly no reason just because it thought it's a couple mins faster :rolleyes: will know what I mean.

Granted I'm not a huge fan of portable "suction cup" GPS either but in my car I have a HU that has built-in Garmin and also supports AA. 90% of the time I will not even think about using AA/Google/Waze instead of the built-in Garmin. There's really little point in doing so and I really don't see the same kind of functionality out of it compared to the built-in Garmin. It's better for more up-to-date places and again traffic, but it's more of a pain and my phone heats up quite a bit while navigating on it also. I've probably said this 20x on RFD though. I think it's mainly kids that never used real GPS and/or never left city areas/Canada, that think stuff like AA is oh-so-much better for whatever reason. Otherwise I just can't understand why someone would think these phone-based systems are some kind of amazing thing.