Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Globe Smart Plug - $9.99 (April 5th - 11th)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2020 8:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5540 posts
2130 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got 4.

Seems most folks using for individual plugs like lamps, routers, etc.

Can a power bar be plugged into the globe smart plug?

This way keep the benefits of the surge suppression and have the control via wifi. I like to power cycle modem and routers that are attached to power bar.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1584 posts
794 upvotes
Cambridge
georvu wrote: Got 4.

Seems most folks using for individual plugs like lamps, routers, etc.

Can a power bar be plugged into the globe smart plug?

This way keep the benefits of the surge suppression and have the control via wifi. I like to power cycle modem and routers that are attached to power bar.
Can't verify, but I'd assume so. It'll switch on/off everything attached to the power bar.

There are powerbars out there (TP-Link makes one) that enable each individual item on the bar to be turned on/off, selectively.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
7654 posts
947 upvotes
TO
I find that the bulbs are a good value w/o needing a hub at 10$. Can plug them for outside porch and driveway and set a schedule to turn on/off at dawn/dusk.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13863 posts
14382 upvotes
Oakville
soulrebell wrote: Good deal,

But at what point do these become a free network roadmap for the manufacturers to resell?
Probably already doing it. I'm pretty sure google does that with your location and wifi monitoring (which I think you can turn off), but if your neighbours don't turn it off, it'll still be recorded.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13863 posts
14382 upvotes
Oakville
Sihotab wrote: I received my today via Canada Post.
remik wrote: Yup, I returned my 2 globe plugs and got the 2pack lightning deal on the Teckin. I like them better, they were easier to pair out of the box and you can actually connect 2 stacked on one outlet.
Well, I still don't have the plugs. I guess the delivery guy stole them?

I ordered on Apr 7 for next day Prime delivery, and I still don't have it 6 days later.
Tracking info from Dynamex says they tried to deliver it on April 10... but at 11:08pm!!!
And they have the gall to lie and say they had no access, which is blatantly false, there is nothing blocking my front door and I have security footage to prove nobody showed up.
I'm glad they didn't knock after 11pm because I would have been super pissed.

Then there's another note on Apr 12, saying package has shipped again, and I still don't have it.

Talked to amazon support, they say they assume lost in transit (probably stolen) so they'll refund, but only give $5 in compensation.

This is the 2nd time recently that amazon fulfillment has screwed up. Are they going to shit? Time to cancel Prime?
Member
User avatar
Jun 9, 2004
324 posts
112 upvotes
Saint John
Just wanted to share that these work with the Smart Life app, you don't have to use the Globe Suite if you don't want to.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13863 posts
14382 upvotes
Oakville
Any opinions on these smart plugs at $20? OMOTON [2 Pack] Mini WiFi Smart Plug Works with Amazon Alexa,Google Home, IFTTT, 15A Wireless Socket Outlet Remotely Controls Your Devices from Anywhere,No Hub Required(Android/iOS)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076HL587C/
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2005
643 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
NBChick wrote: Just wanted to share that these work with the Smart Life app, you don't have to use the Globe Suite if you don't want to.
Just wanted to add also work with the Tuya app... I believe Tuya is the backbone for these app as the Globe Suite/Smart Life/Geeni apps are all the same...and when syncing my Globe suite to my Google assistant app on the phone it showed me a URL with the word Tuya that was authenticating my Globe Suite credentials so Google assistant could have access to them.

All in all I'm quite pleased with my Globe Suite products so far.

cheers
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2005
643 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
SmartSupport wrote: Hi There,

Thank you for clarifying, however regarding this function, we are currently in the beta testing stages of this function. Once development is finished, we will update the plug’s cloud firmware. - So no need to buy a new plug.

Please see the attached screenshot for reference
Hi thats great news... any idea how far we are off on seeing a release of the new firmwares and app update with these features?

thanks much

Cheers
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 28, 2018
19 posts
26 upvotes
Hi Pendragon,

As of now, unfortunately we do not have a set time-table for the update.

Thank you,
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2005
643 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
SmartSupport wrote: Hi Pendragon,

As of now, unfortunately we do not have a set time-table for the update.

Thank you,
Okay... Thanks for getting back... I will bug you next sale... I'm sure you will pop up then offering support again :)

Cheers
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 28, 2018
19 posts
26 upvotes
Hello blue_pixel, we are sorry to hear you are having trouble getting your new Smart product paired and want to help you get set up as fast as possible. If you are still in need of assistance please reach out to our Customer Care team at 1-888-543-1388 or info@globe-electric.com and we will happy to be of assistance.
Kind Regards,
Sr. Member
Jul 27, 2010
979 posts
698 upvotes
Victoria, BC
SmartSupport wrote: Hello blue_pixel, we are sorry to hear you are having trouble getting your new Smart product paired and want to help you get set up as fast as possible. If you are still in need of assistance please reach out to our Customer Care team at 1-888-543-1388 or info@globe-electric.com and we will happy to be of assistance.
Kind Regards,
The app randomly forgets plugs that were already paired to it. Sometimes they just disappear from the list altogether or the schedule inside the plug disappears and becomes unchangeable because the app doesn't see it.

Pretty frustrating. I factory reset the plugs that did that, but then the app forgot the re-paired one again.
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2005
643 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
1_blue_pixel wrote:
The app randomly forgets plugs that were already paired to it. Sometimes they just disappear from the list altogether or the schedule inside the plug disappears and becomes unchangeable because the app doesn't see it.

Pretty frustrating. I factory reset the plugs that did that, but then the app forgot the re-paired one again.
I have got it setup with 4 plugs and 8 bulbs and haves never had an issue in 1.5 months since getting them.

Did you call them... the tech support is pretty good.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)