Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Globe Smart Plug - $9.99 (April 5th - 11th)

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2020 8:55 pm
Jul 11, 2009
546 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
thanks OP. I was looking to get more CE Smart Home Plugs from costco but were $ 12.5 each and now seem to be out of stock. I will be picking up a few of these.
Nov 28, 2018
19 posts
26 upvotes
Hi @nightwalker , Yes you can set a schedule so that your Smart plug turns on and off at certain times. The timer scheduling does not need your phone present, once the schedule is set it will work independently. If you have further question feel free to contact 1-888-543-1388 or smartsupport@globe-electric.com. Best regards,
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7736 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
dillybravo wrote: Anyone know if it's CSA/UL certified?
Has to be - otherwise can't be legally sold in Canada. And, AFAIK, there are three possibilities CSA, ULC and/or UL.

EDIT: Add ETL, and from their website:

Below is a List of Standards we test to for the North American Market

ASME
ASTM
ANSI
CSA
NFPA
NOM
NSF
UL/ULC
Last edited by Jimbobs on Apr 5th, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14143 posts
14749 upvotes
Oakville
gameon12 wrote: it's a 2 pack. and they monitor consumption. depends what you're looking for
Do we know the Globe units do not monitor consumption?
May 7, 2012
937 posts
412 upvotes
engineered wrote: Do we know the Globe units do not monitor consumption?
The literature and @SmartSupport seem to be silent on the matter. This would IMO be a valid marketable feature. So that's a "NO" unless someone provides evidence otherwise.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
2600 posts
1814 upvotes
Kitchener
Does it show daily wattage usage? I want a smart plug to monitor how many watts my computer uses every day
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1060 6gb, 24GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Nov 13, 2014
81 posts
34 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
SmartSupport wrote: Hi @Sebi97 , Globe Smart products are WiFi based and connect directly to your network NO HUB REQUIRED. Each Smart product has its own IP address, Google home and Amazon Alexa are able to detect the product once it is setup through the Globe Suite App. For a step by step on how to connect your Smart device to Google home or Amazon Alexa please contact 1-888-543-1388 or smartsupport@globe-electric.com. Best regards,
Great, that's very helpful. Thank you
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2774 upvotes
renace wrote: It's because old style incandescent/halogen bulbs have a super low ohm resistance for a few seconds until they heat up leading to a massive surge in amperage that is too much for many of these fancy switches to deal with. Not an issue unless your are rigging up a bunch of these old lights to one of these switches to turn on all at once.
I don't think that's the case. First of all, that has nothing to do with the type of load. It's still a resistive load. And it's not true that tungsten-filament bulbs have a super-low resistance for a few seconds until they heat up. Maybe the resistance increases over a fraction of a second, but so rapidly that only an electronic switch would have a chance to notice - and these switches do click, so they are using a relay.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2774 upvotes
Confirmed that this plug can be set up and controlled with the Tuya Smart Life app, without ever installing the Globe app, and it does work with IFTTT as a Smart Life device.

It clicks audibly when turned on and off, so it does use a relay.

It's small enough not to block the other outlet, but just a bit too big to fit two of them together on a standard dual wall plug.

WiFi reception seems ok - it responds at a location outside my outside house walls where some other plugs have had trouble.

It does have an off-timer function that Smart Life can set, but unfortunately it resets after every use, so you couldn't for example set it to turn off automatically after 5 minutes every time it was turned on.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7386 posts
742 upvotes
Waterloo
Cambridge shows 112 and they don't even know where it is and the other location has 18 and same shit managers don't know where the product is Face With Tears Of Joy

Wasting about 45 minute also far lol
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1324 posts
221 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: Confirmed that this plug can be set up and controlled with the Tuya Smart Life app, without ever installing the Globe app, and it does work with IFTTT as a Smart Life device.

It clicks audibly when turned on and off, so it does use a relay.

It's small enough not to block the other outlet, but just a bit too big to fit two of them together on a standard dual wall plug.

WiFi reception seems ok - it responds at a location outside my outside house walls where some other plugs have had trouble.

It does have an off-timer function that Smart Life can set, but unfortunately it resets after every use, so you couldn't for example set it to turn off automatically after 5 minutes every time it was turned on.
Whats the advantage of using the Tuya Smart Life app over this?

From the screenshot, it just looks like a re-skinned version of the Globe app.