Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Globe Smart Plug - $9.99 (April 5th - 11th)

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2020 8:55 pm
Jul 27, 2010
990 posts
707 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Dudes:

Must buy Winking Face

Ok wow. Getting it to be in pairing mode was a real bugger. You're supposed to hold the power button for 5 seconds until the light flashes. But as soon as it gets to that mode it turns off! I had to hold it and let go at juuuuust the right exact time for it not to turn off, took a dozen tries.
Last edited by 1_blue_pixel on Apr 5th, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14953 posts
15869 upvotes
Oakville
1_blue_pixel wrote: Dudes:

Must buy Winking Face

Ok wow. Getting it to be in pairing mode was a real bugger. You're supposed to hold the power button for 5 seconds until the light flashes. But as soon as it gets to that mode it turns off! I had to hold it and let go at juuuuust the right exact time for it not to turn off, took a dozen tries.
Yea, I'm sure the kids in china that assembled this were respected... /s
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2779 upvotes
nightwalker wrote: Whats the advantage of using the Tuya Smart Life app over this?

From the screenshot, it just looks like a re-skinned version of the Globe app.
There are many more devices of other brands using the Tuya Smart Life app. I have several, and I don't want to have to install yet another app for every smart WiFi device I buy.

Also IFTTT supports Smart Life devices. It doesn't know "Globe" devices.
Jul 27, 2010
990 posts
707 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Ok, I think I have it figured out. Make sure the light is on, hold the power button and count 5 seconds and LET GO, don't wait for it to start blinking first. It should start blinking after you let it go.

Oct 31, 2007
3449 posts
493 upvotes
Must have got a faulty one, plug it in and clicks/lights up for about 3 seconds then clicks off again. Button does nothing after that so can’t pair. Back to CT tomorrow I guess
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2470 posts
3172 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I bought 2 this morning, both are going back. I can't pair either, getting it into pairing mode alone is a mission and a half, when I finally get it into pairing mode it won't pair/connect.

Edit: finally got it paired after trying for about 30mins.
Sep 3, 2002
984 posts
410 upvotes
GTA
aquariaguy wrote: All these cheap plugs. I rather stick with the TP Link ones. They work. Every. Single. Time. And the app is amazing. So easy to setup.
Strange both of my minis are orange right now. Once they drop, they can't get back on the network. It maybe the worst designed product I've ever seen, imagine restarting your computer or phone every time it loses WIFI. I've so tired of pulling them out and plugging them back into to reset them. The larger power monitoring model though, that's been working rock solid since I got it.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2779 upvotes
remik wrote: I bought 2 this morning, both are going back. I can't pair either, getting it into pairing mode alone is a mission and a half, when I finally get it into pairing mode it won't pair/connect.

Edit: finally got it paired after trying for about 30mins.
This is what I mean by some switches being finicky to set up. I was lucky with this one though. I didn't bother reading the instructions or installing the app. Based on past experience I just held down the On button for 5 seconds until the light started blinking, then I started the Smart Life app on my phone and tapped + to add a device. It asked me to check that the light on the plug was blinking, and then it connected and set up the plug automatically, including the WiFi network and password. Detected as Globe Smart Switch.

But I've spent half an hour trying to set up other WiFi smart plugs that are much worse. I had to write notes on the back on them to remind me of the complicated undocumented sequence needed to set them up.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2470 posts
3172 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Exp315 wrote: This is what I mean by some switches being finicky to set up. I was lucky with this one though. I didn't bother reading the instructions or installing the app. Based on past experience I just held down the On button for 5 seconds until the light started blinking, then I started the Smart Life app on my phone and tapped + to add a device. It asked me to check that the light on the plug was blinking, and then it connected and set up the plug automatically, including the WiFi network and password. Detected as Globe Smart Switch.

But I've spent half an hour trying to set up other WiFi smart plugs that are much worse. I had to write notes on the back on them to remind me of the complicated undocumented sequence needed to set them up.
I was gonna use one to power cycle my modem every night as earlier suggested but I think I'll hold off for now, don't trust them to do that seeing as how difficult they make it to even pair in the first place.
Dec 11, 2007
333 posts
202 upvotes
Markham
Exp315 wrote: There are many more devices of other brands using the Tuya Smart Life app. I have several, and I don't want to have to install yet another app for every smart WiFi device I buy.

Also IFTTT supports Smart Life devices. It doesn't know "Globe" devices.
How do you know it doesn’t support IFTTT. I checked the globe app for my globe smart plug and it says it is compatible with IFTTT. See pic..
Images
  • 39FB790C-A09E-4BC2-99B8-157F79E20960.png
Dec 11, 2007
333 posts
202 upvotes
Markham
I too had issues with pairing. There are two methods to connect: default and AP. The default didn’t work after trying for several minutes but the AP method worked right away for me. AP results in the plug showing up as a Wi-Fi network which you then connect to. See pic to see how to enter AP mode.
Images
  • 7EA99F16-EE74-483B-8081-6AA93F37B826.jpeg
Apr 1, 2007
422 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
1_blue_pixel wrote: Ok, I think I have it figured out. Make sure the light is on, hold the power button and count 5 seconds and LET GO, don't wait for it to start blinking first. It should start blinking after you let it go.

Thanks for the clip, mine paired the first try.
May 6, 2008
262 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton
Does anyone have an opinion on these? I got them from Costco for $29.99. I also bought 2 of the Globes as I only want 1 or 2 but I'd keep the Costco ones if they're better.
IMG_0170.JPG