Apr 15, 2009
80 posts
166 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Globe Smart Plug back on sale for $9.99 at Canadian Tire

If you missed the last sale, here is a chance to get it:

Deal link:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/glob ... p.html#srp

Description:
- Globe Smart Plug turns any plug into a smart device; works with lamps, coffee machines, seasonal lighting and more!
- Great for home security; create on/off schedules from any location
- Grounded 1-outlet plug
- Controlled by the App or by voice; easy set-up Globe Suite App is a free download available in the App store
- No hub required; works via Wi-Fi 2.4 Ghz
- Works with Amazon Alexa & Google Assistant
19 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
11402 posts
1187 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Can this be used for outside lights. Right now I have outside rope lights on a daylight sensor, but the front house light as well is on an inside programmable timer that stays on until midnight. But the light from it makes the other sensor think its still day light, so they dont turn on. Can this be programmed and just left to do its thing? How does it deal with the cold since it will be outside. Not worried about moisture since it will be in a plug in under an eave and porch
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
80 posts
166 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 12:07 pm
Can this be used for outside lights. Right now I have outside rope lights on a daylight sensor, but the front house light as well is on an inside programmable timer that stays on until midnight. But the light from it makes the other sensor think its still day light, so they dont turn on. Can this be programmed and just left to do its thing?
Yes, I programmed mine via the app (via wifi), and it does its own thing. I even disconnected the wifi and it runs by itself. Mine is indoor, but if you plan to place it outdoors, I am not sure how it will perform.
Last edited by Stevey3001 on Apr 29th, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 15, 2019
20 posts
44 upvotes
Sweet. Bought one of these last time they were on sale and was wishing I bought another one. Thanks OP! 👍🏻
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
11402 posts
1187 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Stevey3001 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 12:11 pm
Yes, I programmed mine via the app (via wifi), and it does its own thing. I even disconnected the wifi and it runs by itself. Mine is indoor, but if you plan to place it outdoors, I am not sure how it will perform.
Thanks. The plug is right outside the front door, so my smart door bell works, so it should work as well signal wise. Just used to the old school way at our old house, so everything just worked. But with different setups now need to try something else
Jul 8, 2018
15 posts
17 upvotes
Can I connect the plug to google home mini without installing Globe app?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4298 posts
1293 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
The Globe app was very quirky and could not get to connect.

BUT the Tuya app [basically same as Globe] connected without issue.

Presently got one plugged into powerbar to cycle modem on/off. This morning internet off... forget that when setup I was playing around with schedule and had set for plug power off in the morning... manually turned plug on with button on side and changed time on schedule and internet back!!
Oct 31, 2007
3360 posts
444 upvotes
Thanks OP, picked up one to try a couple weeks back when they were on for the same price. Could not get it to pair (would not stay on long enough). Returned to CT for replacement and the next one worked as it should and was easy to pair with the app within seconds. Works well with Google Home. Will pick up another couple I think.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1733 posts
1766 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I bought these a few weeks back when they were on sale for $9.99 as well, they were good when I finally got them up and running, took forever to get them into pairing mode. I ended up returning them and picked up this double pack (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CZF ... UTF8&psc=1) from Amazon, paired/installed on first try and I like the fact that they have a "smaller footprint" where I can connect both to one outlet on top of each other; something you can not do with these.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10662 posts
9847 upvotes
Oakville
remik wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 3:34 pm
I bought these a few weeks back when they were on sale for $9.99 as well, they were good when I finally got them up and running, took forever to get them into pairing mode. I ended up returning them and picked up this double pack (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CZF ... UTF8&psc=1) from Amazon, paired/installed on first try and I like the fact that they have a "smaller footprint" where I can connect both to one outlet on top of each other; something you can not do with these.
I tried to order that set last time but I'm pretty sure the amazon delivery guy just stole it.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
Still a good price, but stock seems more limited this time around.

They work just fine with the Smart Life app, but they are not intended for outdoor use. I actually have mine in a sheltered outdoor socket right now, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave it there. It's not waterproof or dust proof. When I check it in the morning it's beaded in moisture and I can see dust gathering around the small case openings.

I got this one in the last sale a few weeks ago. Paired first time with Smart Life without problems. Then the Smart Life app had an episode and forgot everything, including all the devices in my account, so I had to pair it again. This time I encountered that same problem that others have complained off, that it's hard to get it into the proper pairing mode. Seems to require luck to hit a tiny timing window.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1264 posts
4796 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 2:36 pm
The Globe app was very quirky and could not get to connect.

BUT the Tuya app [basically same as Globe] connected without issue.

Presently got one plugged into powerbar to cycle modem on/off. This morning internet off... forget that when setup I was playing around with schedule and had set for plug power off in the morning... manually turned plug on with button on side and changed time on schedule and internet back!!
What internet provider are you with that you have a need to spend $10 to remotely power cycle your modem that often? Asking so I know who not to sign up with...
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1733 posts
1766 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
engineered wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 4:00 pm
I tried to order that set last time but I'm pretty sure the amazon delivery guy just stole it.
Yeah, Im glad I grabbed them, they were $24.99 after coupon and usual with much stuff on Amazon; no tax. So only ended up costing me approx. $2 more than 2 Globe plugs.