Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Google Home $45.22 Clearance Sale (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2020 7:08 pm
[OP]
Apr 22, 2020
191 posts
241 upvotes
Alberta

[Canadian Tire] Google Home $45.22 Clearance Sale (YMMV)

First time poster, sorry if this has been mentioned already.

I ordered a Google Home from Canadian Tire and had it shipped to me for a total of $55 all in. Seems like a good deal. There are a couple more available in stock at the time of this posting (Calgary, AB).

Here is the stock track link: https://stocktrack.ca/?s=ct&q=0441417

Good Luck!
11 replies
Jul 8, 2013
184 posts
183 upvotes
AMHERST
Might be already gone. Shows 129 and 0 stock for me
Feb 29, 2016
381 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa
You couldn't pay me enough money to have one of these always-on, always-listening devices in my home. Yes, I know there are any many variants of this besides Google, but this is one of the worst.
An Orwellian nightmare wrapped up with a pretty little bow for those who think convenience outweighs privacy and personal security.

Go on....hit me with the clueless "OK Boomer" responses.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4958 posts
3972 upvotes
Edmonton
RetiredRFDer wrote: You couldn't pay me enough money to have one of these always-on, always-listening devices in my home. Yes, I know there are any many variants of this besides Google, but this is one of the worst.
An Orwellian nightmare wrapped up with a pretty little bow for those who think convenience outweighs privacy and personal security.

OK Boomer :)..... But why is Google "one of the worst"?
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4958 posts
3972 upvotes
Edmonton
$45 for the google home is worth it over paying $30 for the home/nest mini. I have both and this sounds far better.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1586 posts
1411 upvotes
RetiredRFDer wrote: You couldn't pay me enough money to have one of these always-on, always-listening devices in my home. Yes, I know there are any many variants of this besides Google, but this is one of the worst.

Name checks out
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4570 posts
4627 upvotes
Vancouver

Really? What have you got to hide Citizen RetiredRFDer? :)

It's a valid concern, but there's no point in bringing it up in a Hot Deals thread about a product. Might as well find a thread about manufacturer rebates on new cars and say "I would never buy one of these because they pollute the planet and cause global warming". True., but...

In this case you have to weigh the theoretical loss of privacy vs. the actual convenience of using the product. It's nothing to do with age - my 90-year-old mother loves her Google Home Mini because it's easier for her to interact with voice than tapping on a small tablet.

As for which is worst, hard to say - Amazon Alexa lets you delete recordings made by Alexa, but secretly keeps the text transcripts forever with no way to delete them. Google now offers the higher-privacy option of not keeping recordings or transcripts at all - if you believe them, which I don't.
Jul 8, 2013
184 posts
183 upvotes
AMHERST
Since I set mine to make the noise every time it’s listening, I have 0 privacy concerns about it