[OP]
Oct 19, 2003
291 posts
89 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Gumout all in one fuel system cleaner $7.79

Gumout all in one fuel system cleaner 7.79 reg 12.99
Gumout high milage and complete fuel cleaners 7.19 reg 11.99

Can tire lots of PEA
Last edited by TomRFD on May 21st, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2661 posts
1013 upvotes
Ottawa
Does this stuff actually work? Like does your mileage actually increase because you clean the fuel system? Does it actually make the engine run better?
Banned
May 9, 2015
226 posts
298 upvotes
Guelph, ON
True its not so good on direct injection engines?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1204 posts
395 upvotes
MARKHAM
419justblaz wrote: Its all snake oil
Not at all... I've used Fuel Injector Cleaner on all the vehicles I ever owned and surprisingly the results were great.
Noticeable increase in throttle sensitivity subtle improvement overall. Techron is known in the German car community as one of the best fuel additives to use. BMW relabels it as their Fuel System Cleaner.
it's not an engine saver by any means but its the small things that count. My past 3 BMWs I've owned have passed 250,000km without a single issue with the fuel system ever. And I will continue to use it on my M3.

An interesting article on Techron also. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... tive-it-is
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1550 posts
134 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: Does this stuff actually work? Like does your mileage actually increase because you clean the fuel system? Does it actually make the engine run better?
Anecdotally I had a mazda b3000 which experienced misfires under heavy throttle, running the Gumout High Mileage cleaner through for a tank fixed the issue (carbon build up?).

Engineering Explained (automotive engineer) looked at research papers for his video, I'll link a video but iirc he says something along the lines of under normal circumstances cars shouldn't need it.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1204 posts
395 upvotes
MARKHAM
luthair wrote: Anecdotally I had a mazda b3000 which experienced misfires under heavy throttle, running the Gumout High Mileage cleaner through for a tank fixed the issue (carbon build up?).

Engineering Explained (automotive engineer) looked at research papers for his video, I'll link a video but iirc he says something along the lines of under normal circumstances cars shouldn't need it.
it's true that under normal circumstances cars shouldn't need it cause modern premium fuel has additives that already "clean" the engine while you drive.
direct fuel injection cars, on the other hand, don't really benefit from these kinds of cleaners...
Jul 18, 2007
175 posts
221 upvotes
Markham
same pricing on amazon as add on items
May 12, 2019
330 posts
434 upvotes
Canadian Tire doesn't sell Techron. The only non-snake oil they sell in that aisle is Seafoam.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3584 posts
5613 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please!
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, RTX 3080 10gb, GTX 1070 8gb, 64GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1070 8gb, 32GB RAM
Homework PC: i5 8400, GTX 960 2gb, 32GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64GB
Nov 30, 2013
404 posts
336 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: Does this stuff actually work? Like does your mileage actually increase because you clean the fuel system? Does it actually make the engine run better?
Kia manual advices to use fuel injector cleaner or premium fuel (that has cleaner added) once every oil change. I would trust the engineers if they say so. It just help getting rid of built-up in the engine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5277 posts
2842 upvotes
Toronto
lesoir wrote: Kia manual advices to use fuel injector cleaner or premium fuel (that has cleaner added) once every oil change. I would trust the engineers if they say so. It just help getting rid of built-up in the engine.
Unlike vw, at least Kia admit their screwups.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1204 posts
395 upvotes
MARKHAM
419justblaz wrote: Canadian Tire doesn't sell Techron. The only non-snake oil they sell in that aisle is Seafoam.
I didn't say CT sold Techron. I gave it as an example that Fuel System Cleaner actually does work. I've been using the Motomaster one for the past 10 years and haven't had a single issue once.
alexh9 wrote: Is Gumout as good as Techron?
The Gumout might not be as good as Techron but it still contains similar chemistry to clean the car's fuel system.
May 12, 2019
330 posts
434 upvotes
purebluejapan wrote: I didn't say CT sold Techron. I gave it as an example that Fuel System Cleaner actually does work. I've been using the Motomaster one for the past 10 years and haven't had a single issue once.

The Gumout might not be as good as Techron but it still contains similar chemistry to clean the car's fuel system.

I never said Fuel system cleaners don't work. I said the ones sold by Canadian tire are snake oil (except SeaFoam).

Just because you haven't had an issue with the Motomaster one doesn't mean its working.
Its like taking a placebo Advil. Its just a sugar pill and doesnt cause issues, but it doesnt mean that its actually working to reduce pain.
Sep 14, 2007
868 posts
306 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Check THIS video out and decide for yourself. I gave it a try with one modification - listed below - and was satisfied with the results on a couple 10 year old F150s.

• STP Ultra 5-in-1 Fuel System Cleaner and Fuel Stabilizer - Can Tire/Napa carries this
• Sea Foam Motor Treatment - Can Tire/Napa carries this
• Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - Couldn't source locally so substituted MotoMaster F1 Extra-Strength Fuel Injector Cleaner. The Gumout posted by OP could be substituted as well I would think.
• Lucas 10003 Upper Cylinder Lubrication & Injector Cleaner - Can Tire/Napa carries this

Instead of the syringe method, I used the MM F1 Cleaner bottle to measure out the 2 oz of each product.
Dec 6, 2008
128 posts
78 upvotes
Canada
Not to hijack the thread, but I am looking for something different - lawn mower stored over winter without draining fuel, now carb is apparently gummed up, any suggestions on product that will clean carb without having to dismantle?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1031 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
bknight wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but I am looking for something different - lawn mower stored over winter without draining fuel, now carb is apparently gummed up, any suggestions on product that will clean carb without having to dismantle?
Try https://www.homedepot.ca/product/b3c-mi ... 1000806353 in the fuel. Does a decent job of getting things running.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3869 posts
1395 upvotes
Montreal
bknight wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but I am looking for something different - lawn mower stored over winter without draining fuel, now carb is apparently gummed up, any suggestions on product that will clean carb without having to dismantle?
What are the symptoms ... is it running or not?