Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Heritage The Rock Traditional Non-Stick Wok, 12-in, 30 cm - $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2020 11:57 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6320 posts
2674 upvotes
West GTEH!
newmiddy wrote: I got tired of the non-stick versions, and found the woksoflife website, and following their suggestion bought a carbon steel wok at one of the Asian grocery stores here in Vancouver.....was cheap as chips....followed the simple seasoning instructions and absolutely LOVE it! Use it as my goto frypan now, and use very little oil, with no stickage.
Not sure if this link will show up, but here goes .....https://thewoksoflife.com/best-wok-to-buy/
Thanks for the Link. Very good information.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6320 posts
2674 upvotes
West GTEH!
GammaRayFort wrote: size matters
That's what she said................ LOL. Just kidding. (sorry, couldn't resist the joke) Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
😎
Dec 12, 2019
132 posts
96 upvotes
Avoid this like the plague, we had ours as a gift... Lasted a very short time (maybe 2-3 weeks) before everything stuck to it and became unusable. I was sure to follow the instructions it came with to maintain the non-stick and it still happened. Didn't return it as no gift receipt.
Jul 4, 2017
227 posts
396 upvotes
cheapestdeal wrote: What is different between this one and one from Walmart? Walmart one is few dollars less.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/the-rock-1 ... re-section
Walmart one is regular starfit. Canadian Tire version is Heritage, which has a longer-lasting, more durable coating. You can feel the difference if you hold the two works in person. Always go with Heritage for Rock. Starfit Rock is only slightly better than regular t-fal.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10944 posts
5159 upvotes
Its a good pan we had a whole set including a wok and after about a year its time for garbage.
Heat never higher then a 5 /medium and gentle with them some are still god but the wok and 1 pan hit the garbage at 1 year. So not bad but if you want something to last and that makes great sirfrys this is not it
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Nov 18, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
newmiddy wrote: I got tired of the non-stick versions, and found the woksoflife website, and following their suggestion bought a carbon steel wok at one of the Asian grocery stores here in Vancouver.....was cheap as chips....followed the simple seasoning instructions and absolutely LOVE it! Use it as my goto frypan now, and use very little oil, with no stickage.
Not sure if this link will show up, but here goes .....https://thewoksoflife.com/best-wok-to-buy/
Can you please tell me the name and address of the grocery store where you got the carbon steel wok. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
rororororo wrote: Just a note for anyone looking to cook Asian food in the wok. Always go with a carbon steel wok instead of a non-stick one since most recipes require you to heat the oil until just below smoking (which non-stick surfaces can't handle).
Technically speaking one would do FAR better with something like a carbon steel pan over a wok.
A wok only makes sense if you have 100k BTU flame behind it. The very bottom gets stupidly hot while the sides get less hot.
If you have a flat cooktop or a residential gas range, a flat surface is going to make far more sense.

A non stick wok however, makes zero sense at all.
stryder1587 wrote:
Next wok is definitely gonna be carbon steel and seasoning it myself. Somebody please post deals on that!
Who needs a deal? They're always cheap.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2127 posts
925 upvotes
its called the heritage ROCK DIAMOND, when on sale goes for 39 for a 12 "
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15837 posts
4569 upvotes
Scarberia
OG one of my fave chefs! i think hes RIP

*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
May 23, 2011
30 posts
23 upvotes
Kelowna
I did a bit of searching as I found most of the woks, even the carbon steel woks, had a non-stick coating, which I definitely didn't want. I finally found one at T & T Market in Surrey...and they have stores scattered around the mainland. I paid about $20 without a lid.
I bought the Asian style large metal stir fry "scoop/spoon" at Walmart for $5, which I find really useful for stir frying etc.
I use very little oil with the wok, less and less as I develop that patina for "non-stickiness".
I also loaded up with woksoflife suggested spices/sauces as I decided due to "covid isolation" pursue learning to cook better Chinese food at home, as the restaurants here in South Surrey are lousy.
Aug 23, 2005
491 posts
293 upvotes
Ontario
Got my carbon steel wok (11" or 12" can't remember exactly) at Zehrs for about $25
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2478 upvotes
newmiddy wrote: I did a bit of searching as I found most of the woks, even the carbon steel woks, had a non-stick coating, which I definitely didn't want. I finally found one at T & T Market in Surrey...and they have stores scattered around the mainland. I paid about $20 without a lid.
I bought the Asian style large metal stir fry "scoop/spoon" at Walmart for $5, which I find really useful for stir frying etc.
I use very little oil with the wok, less and less as I develop that patina for "non-stickiness".
I also loaded up with woksoflife suggested spices/sauces as I decided due to "covid isolation" pursue learning to cook better Chinese food at home, as the restaurants here in South Surrey are lousy.
Links?
Dec 31, 2016
437 posts
308 upvotes
Mississauga, ON, CA
Are stainless steel (clad) ones any better?
I definitely don’t need one, so I’ll do the right thing and pick one up on my way home. 😎

**Just pick one and don't loot** 😠