Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Hillman #8 x 3" Brown Deck Screws 1000 pk $29.99 (Reg. $49.99) starts April 22/23

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 11:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
3730 posts
21582 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Hillman #8 x 3" Brown Deck Screws 1000 pk $29.99 (Reg. $49.99) starts April 22/23

If you missed the deal a few weeks ago, Brown deck screws are on sale for $29.99 in the upcoming flyer.

Starts April 22-28 for the Quebec region and April 23-29 for rest of Canada.

No mention in the flyer if the Green deck screws are also on sale. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hill ... 0318p.html
31 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1110 posts
863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Who would buy green screws when all pressure treated wood is brown in color now?

Sale on deck screws is signal that summer is just around the corner, however with lumber prices through the roof, price of screws is really now a non issue.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
2009 posts
1851 upvotes
sirxterminator wrote: Who would buy green screws when all pressure treated wood is brown in color now?

Sale on deck screws is signal that summer is just around the corner, however with lumber prices through the roof, price of screws is really now a non issue.
$20 is $20 - this is RFD; people have jumped through hours of hoops for a lot less
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1919 posts
407 upvotes
toronto
These screws are pretty poor in quality. I had quite a few (browns) snap on me when rebuilding my deck so I went to grks from the home depot.
Nov 23, 2008
272 posts
146 upvotes
Bought them last year to build a tire rack, no issues with so far. Tire rack still solid but I was using 2x4.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2360 posts
1084 upvotes
Edmonton
Greens were on sale a couple of weeks ago..... same price

Now it’s the browns turn
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14629 posts
8780 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I have the same ones and re-surfaced a large deck last year, didn’t have any heads break off. The other day I removed a few boards to wire speakers and re-used the screws no problem. Some bad batches?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4907 posts
1512 upvotes
These are total crap outdoors.

I installed a light-duty garden gate using these (Hillman brown) last year and had two screws completely shear off. I used the green version a few years ago on a deck and had nothing but problems with rust.
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15125 posts
3729 upvotes
will this rust or release any chemical? i want to build a garden bed with untreated wood...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 20, 2019
76 posts
147 upvotes
kiasu wrote: will this rust or release any chemical? i want to build a garden bed with untreated wood...
To protect wood, nowadays they use preservatives called ACQ. It can leach copper into the soil, but according to research, your plants would die way before you'd get any poisoning. As for the screws, they are usually galvanized, so they can release zinc.

But, the quantity would be so infinitely small... you don't need to be afraid, IMO.

In any case, with our winters, untreated wood lasts only 2-3 years before it rots away in the garden, whereas treated or cedar lasts for a good 7-10 years+.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
3730 posts
21582 upvotes
Looks like only the Brown screws will be on sale this time.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2288 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote: will this rust or release any chemical? i want to build a garden bed with untreated wood...
i built 3 raised bed using 2x6 untreated wood. Still good after 5 years, this year i decided to move one bed so took one apart as it was failing in one corner. failure is due to the screw rusted and snapped in half and the screw i used are these brown deck screws. these don't take shear forces well as they are meant to hold deck boards down.

Most of the untreated wood was actually still alright. reused a few pieces for the new bed.

I rebuilt it using untreated 2x12 cause i found some cheap, I think was used by outdoor skating rink. and this time corner used galvanized nails and screws. screws for holding and nails for shear strength.

Having said that, just build the bed using whatever you find cheap.... with lumber prices nowadays, hard to grow enough veggies to make it worth while lol...
Mar 15, 2016
140 posts
189 upvotes
Oakville, ON
These screws suck lol. Don’t last over 2-3 times on an impact as the top half breaks off!

Tried with all types of woods, the only ones they seem to last in are pine
Feb 14, 2005
787 posts
86 upvotes
built a wooden deck board walkway with this. Lots of boards are coming loose after 2 years due to these screws rusting and sheering off. Not sure if it's standard for screws used outdoors but it's definitely a PITA to repair (can't pull out the embedded sheared off screws + need to make new holes = ugly!).
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1820 posts
662 upvotes
Elgin, ON
HotDealsRock wrote: built a wooden deck board walkway with this. Lots of boards are coming loose after 2 years due to these screws rusting and sheering off. Not sure if it's standard for screws used outdoors but it's definitely a PITA to repair (can't pull out the embedded sheared off screws + need to make new holes = ugly!).
One time I did a quick fence repair using (indoor) construction screws. I was shocked with out quickly they rusted to the point of failure.
Dec 3, 2008
454 posts
84 upvotes
HotDealsRock wrote: built a wooden deck board walkway with this. Lots of boards are coming loose after 2 years due to these screws rusting and sheering off. Not sure if it's standard for screws used outdoors but it's definitely a PITA to repair (can't pull out the embedded sheared off screws + need to make new holes = ugly!).

I bought these to use on my deck. Replacing a few boards and all the fascia. Now I'm having second thoughts with all the negative reviews in here. I do NOT want to have to redo it again in a few years. Maybe I'll spend a few more bucks for better screws.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15125 posts
3729 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: i built 3 raised bed using 2x6 untreated wood. Still good after 5 years, this year i decided to move one bed so took one apart as it was failing in one corner. failure is due to the screw rusted and snapped in half and the screw i used are these brown deck screws. these don't take shear forces well as they are meant to hold deck boards down.

Most of the untreated wood was actually still alright. reused a few pieces for the new bed.

I rebuilt it using untreated 2x12 cause i found some cheap, I think was used by outdoor skating rink. and this time corner used galvanized nails and screws. screws for holding and nails for shear strength.

Having said that, just build the bed using whatever you find cheap.... with lumber prices nowadays, hard to grow enough veggies to make it worth while lol...
Mind share which screws r u going to use?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2288 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote: Mind share which screws r u going to use?
I just used these same deck screws, 2 of them has the drawing power to hold it tight to the corner post, then 3 galvanized nails for shear strength, not little dinky ones, thick spiral ones, 4 inch.

the bed moves when its freezing and thawing so the nails should be much better in providing the needed strength. nails bend and screws snap.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1010 posts
417 upvotes
Montreal
For people in Quebec, Canac has great prices on screws even at regular price.

For example, the same exterior screws, in brown, are $18.29 for 500.
https://www.canac.ca/en/brown-treated-w ... ack-107702

I bought a few sizes at Rona this weekend and had no problem price matching with Canac.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15125 posts
3729 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: I just used these same deck screws, 2 of them has the drawing power to hold it tight to the corner post, then 3 galvanized nails for shear strength, not little dinky ones, thick spiral ones, 4 inch.

the bed moves when its freezing and thawing so the nails should be much better in providing the needed strength. nails bend and screws snap.
galvanized nails? mean need to use hammer instead of screwdriver or drills..
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)