[Canadian Tire] HOT!! Ninja® Dual Zone Air Fryer $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 6:13 am
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3454 posts
4901 upvotes
BC
For reheating pizza are you guys using the airfry function or just bake?
Dec 3, 2005
729 posts
727 upvotes
S
jasonchewy wrote: any way to deep fry battered things in this?
I'm thinking tempura, after dipping it in the tempura batter. I'm picturing the batter will drip off the shrimp, and not fried properly like it normally would in a deep fryer.
For some recipes you can adapt by coating a layer of breading after dipping in batter. I do this for air-fried bananas and apple chunks.
I haven't tried tempura, not because of the batter issue, but because veggie tempura slices will take too much space laying flat in the airfryer.
Dec 3, 2005
729 posts
727 upvotes
S
peakingduck wrote: For reheating pizza are you guys using the airfry function or just bake?
Depends on the style and thickness of the pizza.
To reheat homemade Neapolitan pizza, I airfry for 3 min from frozen after brushing the crust with water.
To reheat homemade sheet pan style pizza, which is thicker, I bake for 6 min. -- in the 10" x 10" ninja foodi grill airfryer.
To reheat store-bought frozen pizza, bake, 10 min.
Haven't yet reheated pizza slices with cheese already cooked.
Oct 15, 2013
796 posts
1270 upvotes
I'm thinking tempura, after dipping it in the tempura batter. I'm picturing the batter will drip off the shrimp, and not fried properly like it normally would in a deep fryer.
I’ve done breaded mushrooms I made from scratch and they worked in an air fryer, you just have to make sure you spray with enough oil of they go dry.
For battered, I think it would be somewhat similar but if you are expecting same as dunking in 450F oil results I think you’ll be disappointed. Wet batter probably wont work at all.

It seems like keeping the batter as dry as possible is they key https://www.usa.philips.com/c-e/ho/phil ... hrimp.html
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1759 posts
1137 upvotes
Markham
not possible. The fan will blow the wet batter and all messy. You can reheat battered food and it tastes great.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2357 posts
962 upvotes
EDMONTON
Leverage wrote: A reminder that "air fryer" is just a nonsense marketing term for convection toasting/baking - unless you use this frequently, you're way better off spending ~$200 on a high end toaster/convection oven.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... air-fryer/

I used to think this until I got the Cosori air fryer. I'm in love with it. It cooks food way faster and better than any oven I've used.
teksavvy sucks
Feb 24, 2009
719 posts
246 upvotes
umadbrah wrote:
I used to think this until I got the Cosori air fryer. I'm in love with it. It cooks food way faster and better than any oven I've used.
Agreed I used to not be about all the hype around these air fryers but I got a cheap one a year or so ago and it's honestly one of the appliances I use all the time, it's so good for reheating lots of things. I actually want to get another one when it goes on sale.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2389 posts
526 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
riseagainstthemachine wrote: get this and dont look back, best purchase I made in years. a regular air fryer is just a waste of space

https://www.ninjakitchen.com/exclusive- ... -fry-oven/
crashxxx wrote: and I'm thinking of ditching my Oster (large) toaster oven and 4 slice toaster and replacing them with the Air Fryer Sheet oven. would having both the sheet oven and the dual zone air fryer be redundant? (edit: scratch this question about the sheet oven, seem to be a LOT of negative reviews).

My Air fryer findings..

so I picked up the ninja air oven after my previous post listing any of the negative comments I'd read. pulled my oster from the spot on the counter and tried wings (precooked, frozen, Prime brand) and garlic toast with cheese in the air oven last night.

initial findings: one box of HG wings on left side of basket, one box of bbq on the right side of the basket. cooking sprayed basket. used basket and dark drip tray. cannot cook wings or any meat for that matter without that drip tray. temp set to 400F 18min time in air fry mode. plus: preheated in under 1min.

challenge one: door opening too narrow to get both trays out and back in again for the 1/2 way through with oven mitts on.
at 9 min hit pause, finally got both trays out at once keeping the drip tray centered under the basket to not drip any oil or moisture onto the heating elements. I could see this was going to be a mess. once tray and basket removed, basket sits into the drip tray causing wings to get completely saturated in everything that has dripped off. flipped wings.

challenge two: wings on the left side started to brown long before wings on right side. pulled both tray and basket again, rotated 180 (above the sink on the other side of the kitchen to spare drip mess on the floor).

challenge three: although there was NO smoke or anything like that escaping from the unit. EVERY time it was paused and the door was opened it set of my fire alarms in the house for 10 - 20 seconds. closest alarm to where the unit was places was 6' to the left and 6' down around the corner. so it's not like it was directly under it. that ticked me off.

challenge four: meat inside wings was juicy. although the skin had browned, bordering on (black on most of them) and some of them not at all. out came both trays again to remove the dark wings and continue cooking the under cooked ones (about 40%) for another 4 minutes.

in the end, they weren't any better, worse if anything than doing them in my standard GE oven, with longer preheat time, 5 - 12 min longer cook time .. but FAR less hassle and even cooking with only one flip.

challenge five: cleanup. the basket was essentially GLUED to the drip tray with the drippings. after they cooled down. both went into the sink with 3" of the hottest water I could provide with some dish soap where I let sit for at least 10 - 15 min before attempting to peel them from one another. scrubbing the drip tray was like cleaning a cookie sheet with wing sauce so about the same cleanup there. the wire basket however, is so flimsy and has a texture similar to a cheese grater (any direction is a bad direction on the basket). tore up 2 scrubbing sponges and a j-cloth getting everything off the basket. 2 separate washes to drain and clean the sink, then a rinse. took easily about 15 min to clean only those two items. I can ONLY imagine trying to clean inside the actual oven if drippings or spattering end up in there on the top or bottom.

I'll try the toast feature tonight and see if that is any good. also going to try some fresh and frozen fries as well as a couple of baked potatoes.

lack of direction from ninja on how to cook just basic things in the air oven is a bit of a joke considering the cost of the unit. but you can always spend 30 on their fancy receipt book of things I'll never eat. lol

after trying toast, baked potato and fries, if they aren't better (or worse) than my big actifry 2 in one, it's going back on the premise that it doesn't heat evenly. left side hotter than right.
Last edited by crashxxx on Oct 30th, 2020 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Jan 12, 2017
269 posts
208 upvotes
The best ninja is the one with the built in grill, I have that one
Jan 12, 2017
269 posts
208 upvotes
charliegee wrote: You want one like this if you want to do steaks https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ninj ... p.html#srp

Can put sear/grill marks on it and cook fast. See youtube and amazon usa reviews, people love it.

I just ordered one of these. It’s brand new model pretty much, maybe a couple months it been out, and it seems only cad tire have it so far (otherwise I would have price matched at bestbuy). I don’t know why they are discounting it, this is USA dollar match pricing as it is.

There’s a cheaper, smaller model that is also very well regarded but not on sale. Although looks like costco have the better version of that one.
The smaller one has slightly better browning/crisping performance as the element is bigger in proportion to the cooking chamber and its also deeper, but a smaller surface area. The browning isn’t a problem for me as I’ll use this mostly for fish, shrimp and vegetables rather than larger items you want quite crispy like a chicken, and the larger area suits my usage more.
Oh wow they made a new version, might get that for Christmas.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)