• Dec 23rd, 2020 5:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6431 posts
288 upvotes
Etobicoke

[Canadian Tire] Innova 3100RS OBD2 Code Reader/Scan Tool with ABS & SRS

Combination ODB2 code reader / scan tool. Useful for general purpose troubleshooting (no network scan for ECU nor electronic parking brake). Will pay for itself the second time you have to bring your car in to the dealer to have the code read/cleared as dealers usually charge $90+.

Several other Innova models are also on sale :

Innova 3130RS - includes network scan - $229.99 after $100 off
Innova 3160RS - includes network scan + electronic parking brake - $279.99 after $100 off
3100RS.png
You can find manual and PC Software here --> https://www.innova.com/Support/Download ... ist-3100RS
18 replies
Dec 18, 2005
976 posts
1062 upvotes
Montreal
Just get a 5$ OBD2 Bluetooth adapter on eBay and use Torque on your Android phone. This thing is overpriced like crazy.

Though I'm ready to be proven wrong if this does more than that. Grinning Face
Jun 27, 2011
44 posts
83 upvotes
KINGSTON
Any insight on which of the OBD BT adapters are decent? The price seems unreal, what's the catch?
Nov 12, 2017
314 posts
416 upvotes
Cambridge
Azalin84 wrote: Any insight on which of the OBD BT adapters are decent? The price seems unreal, what's the catch?
I bought this model about 10 years ago. I don't use it much but I'm always able to get and clear codes.
Aug 24, 2018
641 posts
869 upvotes
Langley BC
Azalin84 wrote: Any insight on which of the OBD BT adapters are decent? The price seems unreal, what's the catch?
No catch. Free software on your phone or purchase the program to get more options. The OBD bluetooth adapter is just a cheap go between. Your phone is the expensive part... I would recommend downloading torque from the appstore. As far as model just find one on Amazon with decent reviews and go. FyI these will only read and clear standard codes (will not do SRS (airbag seat belt light and such).
Koodo $35 5 Gig deal (x2)
Jul 26, 2013
611 posts
535 upvotes
CALGARY
I have no experience with the 5 dollar Bluetooth adapters, however, I have had several different Innova scanners and a $100 Bluedriver Bluetooth adapter.

The Bluedriver app provides significantly better and more in depth data than any other solution I've used. Including SRS ABS and other misc systems that only expensive dealer systems will usually access. IMO it's more than worth the money
Mar 27, 2013
105 posts
1269 upvotes
Is this good for a Toyota Hybrid or ca n anyone suggest a good ODB one to use
Aug 30, 2020
820 posts
1234 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
dhomas wrote: Just get a 5$ OBD2 Bluetooth adapter on eBay and use Torque on your Android phone. This thing is overpriced like crazy.

This... I have an elm327 and it works great. 95% what you're paying for really is the software, which is free via the app. It's like paying $150 for a TI 83... When an app is free (Not factoring exams of course)
Nov 17, 2017
142 posts
216 upvotes
Can anyone educate me, I read on a Reddit forum to get an odb2 reader to change the heat setting on climate control. I have a 2020 VW and when I use remote start the heat comes on at 22.5 degrees always even in -10 weather. after reading the post it only gives limited data, I’m questioning can it do something like this. Totally inexperienced over here.
Please don’t s@$t on my parade
Jun 3, 2013
583 posts
659 upvotes
Toronto
Sassy2424 wrote: Can anyone educate me, I read on a Reddit forum to get an odb2 reader to change the heat setting on climate control. I have a 2020 VW and when I use remote start the heat comes on at 22.5 degrees always even in -10 weather. after reading the post it only gives limited data, I’m questioning can it do something like this. Totally inexperienced over here.
Whether it’s set to 26° or 22.5°, the car’s interior won’t warm up any faster. I don’t have any VW specific knowledge; but I do know if you want/can change this setting, you should be looking at using VCDS/VAGCOM and an appropriate adapter. Typically OBD2 readers only scan for computer codes.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1176 posts
817 upvotes
Unless you're nowhere near tech savvy, I'd have to get behind the suggestion to use an ELM327 and Torque. The ELM327 solution can be tricky to setup and use, but its much cheaper and much more effective.

Also, if you have a Ford Company vehicle you can use the ELM327 with Forscan to do even more.
Aug 15, 2018
195 posts
154 upvotes
Before I'd shell out on another Innova scanner that can't be updated I'd rather go with this BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android endorsed by Scotty Kilmer
fella. More pricy than the rest but reviews and Scotty say it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00652G4TS/?co ... _lig_dp_it

Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16177 posts
4989 upvotes
London
dhomas wrote: Just get a 5$ OBD2 Bluetooth adapter on eBay and use Torque on your Android phone. This thing is overpriced like crazy.
Generic BT dongles only support standard OBD.
ABS and SRS are not part of the OBD standard and aren't supported.
Only a small handful of BT dongles support reading ABS and SRS error codes
Jul 15, 2011
40 posts
99 upvotes
I have a WV Tiguan recently get humming on highway, fine when <50km/h. No light on dash.
Quite pricy to send to shop. Can I use ODB2 +software to diagnose ?
Dec 18, 2005
976 posts
1062 upvotes
Montreal
l69norm wrote: Generic BT dongles only support standard OBD.
ABS and SRS are not part of the OBD standard and aren't supported.
Only a small handful of BT dongles support reading ABS and SRS error codes
Thank you for educating me! I was not aware.
Dec 7, 2019
41 posts
49 upvotes
I have most type of scanner. bluedriver, snap on, etc.

The best value is the Autel BT 200. Was on sale at princess auto recently.

Amazing for the $70

Even does trans adapts
Jul 14, 2016
55 posts
37 upvotes
they're all shit. they all use fake chips from ELM Electronics, which is from London Ontario. (which they do overprice em tbh, they're around 20 CAD/each), and they don't work as well as a real chip. The main issue with them is that they don't really support any protocol other than CAN. not a problem if your car is recent, but if you have a ford 2001 truck it's not gonna work. this is the reason why we bought a scanner like this one! (minus SRS, 3100i)
moto g8 power blackberry 9900 as hotspot as I lost the sim tray like an idiot, on public mobile 4GB/120$ (with tax!)/3 months
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6431 posts
288 upvotes
Etobicoke
In case anyone's wondering about app integration, Innova scanners not only work as stand alone unit, it can connect via Blutooth to your smart phone for more extended reporting. Just download Repair Solutions 2 app (iOS or Android) and pair. The app will read your VIN via Blutooth, lookup up the car online, and get manufacturer/model specific info. It uses data from the car to generate predicted repairs as well as look up TSBs, recalls, etc. More info here --> https://www.innova.com/home/repairsolutions-2

Bottom line, if your car's problem is fairly generic and engine/transmission related, the $5 Blutooth dongle and Torque will do. Where these pricey Innova readers excel is if the codes are manufacturer specific or non-standard, then the $5 dongle may not provide accurate diagnosis.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28798 posts
9275 upvotes

Not really the same thing, you can only read P DTCs with Torque I'm pretty sure. Plus cheap China BT "dongles" for OBD are pretty iffy quality and performance. That said if you get one that doesn't flake out then with the right software some of them can read other codes. The image of the unit in this thread clearly shows it reading a C code so it can already do more than Torque.

BTW "clearing codes" with a $5 adapter and a smartphone also does not make one a mechanic. I only mention this because this is what a lot of people seem to think these things are for LOL. "Clearing codes" can make diagnosis harder for a mechanic that has to look at the car after the fact. You're only supposed to clear codes when you diagnose the problem and have performed the repair, otherwise it's just doing you a disservice in the long run. This is something I've tried to explain to my neighbour again and again yet he still has me "clear codes" for him anyway, which I do but only so he doesn't keep bothering me about it lol. Eventually he always has to take it to a mechanic but I don't understand why he doesn't just let the mechanic diagnose it in that case instead of "clearing codes" and telling the mechanic what the code(s) were because there is other data you erase when doing shens like "clearing codes" which help with diagnosis. Codes also don't typically point out a problem directly they point out where the system has detected a problem. Going about it the other way often ends in "parts cannon" repair attempts which can end up being quite costly and will often not fix the issue in the long term (sometimes not at all).
eliteqing wrote: I have a WV Tiguan recently get humming on highway, fine when <50km/h. No light on dash.
Quite pricy to send to shop. Can I use ODB2 +software to diagnose ?
Again an OBD dongle, an app, and a cellphone will not make you a mechanic. Whether you have VAG proprietary codes stored that don't set off the MIL is another story, but a humming noise is typically not solved by code reading lol. What kind of humming noise? Did you recently switch to winter tyres? It could just be a difference in tyre noise.

If you do decide to get an OBD reader of some sort, for VAG cars something like VCDS (pricey and doesn't have a phone app) or OBDeleven (works with phones and is cheaper), are recommended. BlueDriver can also do VAG "enhanced diagnostics" but I'm not sure if it allows coding like the first two do, which is a bonus. However if you have more than Audis/VWs in the household, BlueDriver might be a better option.
Teodore wrote: Before I'd shell out on another Innova scanner that can't be updated I'd rather go with this BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android endorsed by Scotty Kilmer
fella.
LOL Scotty. Wouldn't solely go by his recommendations but BlueDriver is a good product. However it depends on the kind of vehicle you have. In many cases OBDLink MX+ (esp. the newer version which comes with all the addons) is a better product--actually it's better hardware no matter what but it doesn't have support for extended on all brands. For GM, Ford, OBDLink is better, for some other makes BlueDriver supports extended diagnostics where OBDLink does not. There's some overlap in their coverage but it really depends on what brands you have in the household.