811 posts
774 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: We shop at Cdn Tire.
BUT we know our prices, and shop sale items
ONLY if indeed they are the same or cheaper than anywhere else
Surprisingly I know to some RFDers (Cdn Tire Haters) this is true
You actually can find good stuff @ Cdn Tire for the right price
But you gotta actually KNOW your prices!
And if you are a SMART STRATEGIC SHOPPER
You can save some cash too
You can say the same thing for getting a cell phone contract from the Big 3. It's not just being a "hater", it's finding these predatory practices distasteful because they're deceptive beyond what most people would find acceptable, and it's certainly not a common place practice among retailers.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18813 posts
21551 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Unrelated but does anyone actually LIKE Canadian Tire?
I know I quit shopping there regularly when they killed their Canadian Tire Money percentage.
It's better now with 50x bonuses but those are just that: Bonuses. If it's not something I wouldn't buy anyway I'm getting zero value.

I think i went from once a month shopping there like 10 years ago to maybe once a year today.
We've always called it crappy tire since I was a kid. That said, I shop there every month or 2. Used to be more frequent but I now buy stuff like toilet paper on amazon. I buy garden stuff there, tools, motor oil, etc but only on sale.
I also use the Triangle card and buy all my gas there for 7cents back per litre and use it as Sportchek/ProHockeyLIfe, etc.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28630 posts
14176 upvotes
engineered wrote: We've always called it crappy tire since I was a kid.
Tangental but doesn't everyone?
only on sale.
I think that's my problem with them.
You can ONLY buy stuff on sale otherwise you're hilariously overpaying.
I'd much prefer some more sane pricing without 90% off sales to bring the price down to "normal"
I also use the Triangle card and buy all my gas there for 7cents back per litre and use it as Sportchek/ProHockeyLIfe, etc.
Don't get me wrong I like it when other brands are included in loyalty rewards, but for me personally I have zero business at anything under the CT umbrella other than Canadian Tire itself.
Obviously there's tons of people into sports and stuff, but I'm not one of them so SportChek etc is out for me.
Also we don't have CT gas in Vancouver that I know of, but to be fair we barely have Costco gas either unless you want to hit the boonies.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18813 posts
21551 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Tangental but doesn't everyone?

I think that's my problem with them.
You can ONLY buy stuff on sale otherwise you're hilariously overpaying.
I'd much prefer some more sane pricing without 90% off sales to bring the price down to "normal"

Don't get me wrong I like it when other brands are included in loyalty rewards, but for me personally I have zero business at anything under the CT umbrella other than Canadian Tire itself.
Obviously there's tons of people into sports and stuff, but I'm not one of them so SportChek etc is out for me.
Also we don't have CT gas in Vancouver that I know of, but to be fair we barely have Costco gas either unless you want to hit the boonies.
I agree that the "sale" practice is terrible, but pretty much all of the retailers do it. I usually only buy from Home depo/lowes, etc also only when things are on sale. Same with amazon thanks to CCC.
RFD was built on hot deals.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28630 posts
14176 upvotes
engineered wrote: I agree that the "sale" practice is terrible, but pretty much all of the retailers do it. I usually only buy from Home depo/lowes, etc also only when things are on sale. Same with amazon thanks to CCC.
RFD was built on hot deals.
HD and Lowes don't do it nearly to the extent that CT does though.
Amazon either. Occasionally they'll just dump a price but by and large there's no real "sales" there.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.