Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Lagostina Black Cast Iron Frying Pan, 10-in, $19.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2021 4:10 pm
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2015
334 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Canadian Tire] Lagostina Black Cast Iron Frying Pan, 10-in, $19.99

CT has this Lagostina cast iron frying pan for $19.99 currently, product number
#142-8323-6

I own one of these, bought it when it was also $19.99, and it has been good so far for regular use.
Not the smoothest surface, but it is nonstick after regular use and (re)seasoning. Despite their claim, I found reseasoning was needed to make it better for frying.

It is reasonably priced, probably good for people wanting to try cast iron pans. If so, here are some basic tips and things to consider.

Showing in stock in Vancouver area Canadian Tire stores.
Last edited by adaniel on Jan 24th, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1367 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I bought one at the beginning of the pandemic and it has been hell getting used to it.
I felt the need to re-season it after every use (after scrubbing off burnt food using nothing more than sponges), otherwise it smelt of raw iron.
I think I've re-seasoned it at least 20 times following online tutorials and Im still not satisfied.

Eventually I bought a Staub last month - much happier Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2228 posts
411 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
+1

Heavy as usual. Mine has rust once in a while. Overall happy owner.
Sr. Member
Sep 7, 2017
568 posts
407 upvotes
Go to Winners / Homesense and buy Lodge. Or sale on Amazon.ca.

It’s a long term investment and you will not regret the quality and experience for a few extra bucks. Shit, the cost and effort alone to keep reseasoning this already makes it more expensive. I bought the lagostina as a cast iron newbie. Gave it away after 3 months and replaced with a few Lodge. Got lucky at Homesense and a deal on Amazon. Much happier and cooking like a champ, but still an amateur. Not skilled enough or wealthy enough for Staub or higher end cookware.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 19, 2014
3169 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
At minimum buy a LODGE.

You are only ever going to buy ONE cast iron skillet. They last for generations. No point in getting a cheap one. I made the mistake of buying a cheap one and I'm stuck with it and too stubborn to throw it out.
I have an 8" Lodge and a 12" cheap winners one and you can tell the difference. The Lodge is way better. I suspect Staub will be better than lodge. Please heed my advice.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8789 posts
3255 upvotes
Toronto
Bidjaan wrote: Go to Winners / Homesense and buy Lodge. Or sale on Amazon.ca.

It’s a long term investment and you will not regret the quality and experience for a few extra bucks. Shit, the cost and effort alone to keep reseasoning this already makes it more expensive. I bought the lagostina as a cast iron newbie. Gave it away after 3 months and replaced with a few Lodge. Got lucky at Homesense and a deal on Amazon. Much happier and cooking like a champ, but still an amateur. Not skilled enough or wealthy enough for Staub or higher end cookware.
jellytime wrote: At minimum buy a LODGE.

You are only ever going to buy ONE cast iron skillet. They last for generations. No point in getting a cheap one. I made the mistake of buying a cheap one and I'm stuck with it and too stubborn to throw it out.
I have an 8" Lodge and a 12" cheap winners one and you can tell the difference. The Lodge is way better. I suspect Staub will be better than lodge. Please heed my advice.
It's $50 for Lodge 12" in amazon.ca Is that a good price, or do they go on sale once a while?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2009
2213 posts
1347 upvotes
North Vancouver
I ground my Lagostina cast iron pan for a smooth, flat finish on the cooking surface but not the sides. It works perfectly for me. I followed this video:
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Sr. Member
Sep 7, 2018
809 posts
839 upvotes
It's cast iron folks, cast iron is cast iron -- just season it and it will last, if you get a bit of rust on it just scour it off with a pad and re-season, it will last for a millennia -- even with rust
Sr. Member
Mar 9, 2010
733 posts
644 upvotes
HRM, NS
I have this one. It's OK but I find it too textured and struggle to get it well seasoned. Mine is also slightly crowned in the middle.

I never looked into the Staub but I see they are 50% off on their website, possible stackable with the 10% mark-up. I'm not sure if these prices are good for the product, but is much lower than what other websites are currently advertising. I'm going to stick to my well seasoned Lodge.
https://www.zwilling.com/ca/staub/cast- ... -skillets/
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2017
669 posts
680 upvotes
Kitchener
Sorcerer wrote: I ground my Lagostina cast iron pan for a smooth, flat finish on the cooking surface but not the sides. It works perfectly for me. I followed this video:
Did the same. When I first got mine I HATED it, it takes time to learn how to use it. To people new to cast, you NEED to let it preheat for 10-15 mins. Add fat, whether butter or oil, and then do your cooking.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1302 posts
422 upvotes
Barrie
jdmhfx wrote: I never looked into the Staub but I see they are 50% off on their website, possible stackable with the 10% mark-up. I'm not sure if these prices are good for the product, but is much lower than what other websites are currently advertising. I'm going to stick to my well seasoned Lodge.
https://www.zwilling.com/ca/staub/cast- ... -skillets/
Zwilling has perpetual sales with marked up pricing similar to Canadian tire so just be aware of that.

Their shipping and customer support is also very slow with most orders prior to christmas being 3-4 weeks before delivery (as some users were stating on a previous thread).

Good products but just don't expect it to arrive fast.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9147 posts
3399 upvotes
rtookey wrote: Did the same. When I first got mine I HATED it, it takes time to learn how to use it. To people new to cast, you NEED to let it preheat for 10-15 mins. Add fat, whether butter or oil, and then do your cooking.
On what stove top?

With Gas, I am good to go in less than 5min.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1063 posts
506 upvotes
GTA
Would this be large enough to pan fry two 12 oz striploin steaks or would I need something larger like a 12" skillet?
Sr. Member
Feb 14, 2006
584 posts
530 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Gutty96 wrote:
On what stove top?

With Gas, I am good to go in less than 5min.
American test kitchen recommends to put a cast Iron pan in The cold oven, set it at 500F, and when it reaches temp your pan is properly and evenly heated to use. I'm sort of doubtful you're heating several pounds of metal to an acceptable cooking temp evenly across the surface in just 5 minutes.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 14, 2003
680 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
dpw198 wrote: Would this be large enough to pan fry two 12 oz striploin steaks or would I need something larger like a 12" skillet?
depends on the shape of the steaks, I'd get the 12
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9147 posts
3399 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: American test kitchen recommends to put a cast Iron pan in The cold oven, set it at 500F, and when it reaches temp your pan is properly and evenly heated to use. I'm sort of doubtful you're heating several pounds of metal to an acceptable cooking temp evenly across the surface in just 5 minutes.
Interesting!

Will have to put this to a test. Thanks!
Jr. Member
Oct 8, 2008
182 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
Ruciz wrote: American test kitchen recommends to put a cast Iron pan in The cold oven, set it at 500F, and when it reaches temp your pan is properly and evenly heated to use. I'm sort of doubtful you're heating several pounds of metal to an acceptable cooking temp evenly across the surface in just 5 minutes.
Don't doubt that works, but if I have to do that everytime I want to fry something that may be a dealbreaker for the whole enterprise, assuming I'm not needing the oven preheated for other reasons anyway.
Sr. Member
Sep 7, 2017
568 posts
407 upvotes
superscoots wrote: It's cast iron folks, cast iron is cast iron -- just season it and it will last, if you get a bit of rust on it just scour it off with a pad and re-season, it will last for a millennia -- even with rust
It’s the manufacturing process and the end result. For $10 more you can get a Lodge from Homesense. I got a couple of types on clearance at Homesense. And a 12” marked down at Walmart for my folks. Not suggesting you need to spend a boat load of money, but instead not wasting your time on CT products with nonsense pricing/sales.

I have an induction stove, and it gets temp in 5 to 6 min. You can obviously do all kinds of things to be a perfectionist.
Last edited by Bidjaan on Jan 25th, 2021 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top