Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] (Luke warm deal?) Maximum Tire Change Kit $89.97 [Canadian Tire - In Store]

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2020 1:03 am
[OP]
Jun 10, 2018
18 posts
9 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] (Luke warm deal?) Maximum Tire Change Kit $89.97 [Canadian Tire - In Store]

Dunno if this a good deal but i needed a torque wrench and breaker bar. Went to grab the 69.99 combo https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ct-maxi ... 9-2356301/ but got this instead cause having it in the kit is nice...
Images
  • 56B0074C-BFE2-47A1-8380-C2A7010F9F7A.jpeg
  • 2C21F011-97C7-4F1D-8E87-5D8F3DE88158.jpeg
15 replies
Aug 8, 2006
436 posts
124 upvotes
torque wrenches, breaker bars, and the sockets as well regularly go on sale individually at both CT and places like Princess Auto - combined for a lot less than $90. So no not a good deal.
Jul 13, 2016
95 posts
134 upvotes
Breaker bar usually isn't less than $15 on sale, but shouldn't be hard to find at $20. Amazon had a Craftsman click-type torque wrench on for $25 before Christmas,

It would be nice if the sockets were impact rated, but either way I'd say this is $60 worth of stuff.

It's hard to say how big the case is from the photos - if it takes up a lot of space then I'd probably throw it away anyway, but if it's small enough I'd keep it to protect the torque wrench.
Nov 18, 2013
81 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary
I bought the 1/2” torque reached for 35$, the extension was longer but 15$ and the sockets were 9$(only the 17mm)...all from CT
Sep 15, 2015
383 posts
251 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Atorontomanz wrote: Dunno if this a good deal but i needed a torque wrench and breaker bar. Went to grab the 69.99 combo https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ct-maxi ... 9-2356301/ but got this instead cause having it in the kit is nice...
On the safer side one need a good pair of jack stand.
1. Poor man buys twice
2. Don’t buy because cheap. Buy it if needed/it brings convenience/happiness.
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2323 posts
1512 upvotes
Prince George
Note this is the Maximum brand as opposed to the regular Mastercraft so maybe a little higher quality than some of the cheaper torque wrenches like from Princess Auto. So maybe a bit higher price is justified. Of course for lug nuts (for which it seems most people here are buying this) I don’t think that’s all that important. Repeatability is more important than absolute accuracy - it’s more important to torque them evenly than to an exact number. Even cheap torque wrenches are probably OK there.
Dec 13, 2006
96 posts
3 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: It would be nice if the sockets were impact rated,
sure, it would be nice. but bear in mind most people do not own impact wrenches so it would be added value for very few people. and lets face it, CT is not a store looking out to give you value for no reason.

not only that, impact sockets have thicker walls and are likely to mar/scratch the wells the lug nuts sit in if you use an impact. it is generally not advised to use an impact on wheels if it can be avoided unless the rims are junk
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
5584 posts
486 upvotes
GT-EH
Anyone know if this is available for all locations?
May 11, 2009
324 posts
133 upvotes
Vancouver
Lol @ the $280 regular price.

If you have sockets from another set, you can buy the breaker bar and torque wrench for cheaper. Don't think this is a hot deal.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11632 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
This is a wheel change kit, not a tire change kit.

This is what you need to change a tire
Apr 9, 2008
472 posts
183 upvotes
Bby
I think it's a decent deal. I bought one last time it was on sale. The case is a nice touch, and the multiple sockets are handy for those of us who own more than one thing with wheels on it.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2576 posts
1175 upvotes
Pothole city
Plus factor is the box.
Breaker bar and torque wrench only 70$ Your text to link here...
Jan 6, 2005
11402 posts
2862 upvotes
That combo pack with the Torque wrench and breaker bar was on sale at some CT's for $59.99 and that was considered a hot deal, so depending on if you need the extras for an additional $30, it's not bad.
Back in October got the breaker bar and Torque wrench, the torque wrench on it's own was regularly $150... yes, I know CT inflates prices, but the PA ones, I looked at, were not as robust, not as accurate, and the sale ones are typically the 3/8" drive, not the 1/2" with less torque. I am a fan of PA stuff, always, but the Maximum one was a better choice for my needs.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.