Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Master Chef Sous Vide - 19.77 [YMMV]

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2023 9:22 am
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3200 posts
1880 upvotes
Milton has lots at $25.

For me it was $30 to ship 5, Christmas shopping is done!

Perfect gifts. Thanks OP.
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2012
954 posts
522 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mark_98 wrote: My locations are showing $40.00

Can I sous vide in food saver bags?
Yes, yes you can. I buy bulk meats, cut them down into servings and vaccum seal them into food saver bags and freeze. Then comes to dinner, put them in a tub of water and let the sous vide take over. Easy.
Member
Feb 1, 2013
478 posts
480 upvotes
Thanks OP. Copped 2 - 1 for me and 1 to be used as a Secret Santa gift. Now I can return my in-law’s that I’ve been borrowing.

And yeah, as mentioned before - this is a great way to not overcook your steaks. Season em up, throw them in a ziploc bag, let ‘em bathe, and the only work you have to do after is sear them so you get that nice char.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2004
7588 posts
424 upvotes
BC
Nice! Ordered one for pickup.
It's $40 locally in Vancouver.
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 17, 2007
3021 posts
1450 upvotes
Wow showing up $71 in my area.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5042 posts
6227 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: FINE, in for one with $11 shipping to home. I'll try other things with it, but honestly I feel I've mastered my steaks on charcoal, cast iron, or even my gas bbq to the point I'm usually disappointed when I order steak at a restaurant. Can't imagine how this is going to make it much better.
Put it this way. Steak via sous-vide is a perfect cook. Set the water temp to your taste then let it be for 4 hours then a quick sear...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1829 posts
912 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: My thinking was that you had to do this for proper sous vide--you need a vacuum sealer, no?
You need to put the food in something, ideally vacuum sealed (as per the name of the device) but if you can't do that, the next best thing is to put it in a ziplock bag and just suck the air out with a straw or by pressing the bag into the food. You want the hot water to be able to contact the food through the bag with few or no air bubbles or pockets which would act as an insulating, blocking layer.
cheaper_than_cheap wrote: Probably the best part about sous vide is how forgiving it is with respect to cooking time. It's pretty hard to dry out foods by overcooking. You can turn them to mush if you leave them in for waaaay too long, but generally you throw stuff in and take it out whenever it's convenient.
Yeah, so if you're having a party or family gathering for example, put the steaks into the bath at a time such that they'll be cooked by the earliest possible time you'll want to eat. Once they're in the bath, you don't have to worry about them. Just go be with your guests. And if you exceed that time by an hour or two, no problem at all. When everyone has arrived including all the late comers, and it's finally time to eat, you take them out of the water bath and give them a quick sear in a pan and then serve them.

Your traditional approach is to pick a time to start the cooking, get them off when they're done, and now they sit on the table "resting" aka getting cold for an hour while you wait for everyone to be ready to eat.
Last edited by GreyingJay on Sep 26th, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote: You need to put the food in something, ideally vacuum sealed (as per the name of the device) but if you can't do that, the next best thing is to put it in a ziplock bag and just suck the air out with a straw or by pressing the bag into the food. You want the hot water to be able to contact the food through the bag with few or no air bubbles or pockets which would act as an insulating, blocking layer.
Are Ziploc bags even certified safe for sous-vide though? I know Foodsaver specifically advertises theirs are. Though I find Seal-A-Meal bags actually work better with my old-skool Foodsaver, I don't think I'd try to sous vide with them given they never really say you can. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid but heating up random plastic and cooking food in it, has never really been my cup of tea.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2045 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
curlyface wrote: Check stock track and find stores with lowest prices.

Select said store on website

Select ship to my home

Everyone should be able to get one for under $40 shipped.
shipping is not free? I think it is about $10..
Member
Nov 1, 2012
403 posts
512 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote: Are Ziploc bags even certified safe for sous-vide though? I know Foodsaver specifically advertises theirs are. Though I find Seal-A-Meal bags actually work better with my old-skool Foodsaver, I don't think I'd try to sous vide with them given they never really say you can. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid but heating up random plastic and cooking food in it, has never really been my cup of tea.
The freezer bags yes, the sandwich bags no.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
5773 posts
4407 upvotes
freezer ziplocks will survive fairly high temperatures. But if you ever spring a leak then your food is toast.

Sous vide is overrated.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3200 posts
1880 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote: shipping is not free? I think it is about $10..
There are plenty available at $25. Milton Ontario for instance has a lot of $25.

For me it was $10.99 for one shipped, $29.99 for 5. I only needed 5, so not sure how many I could have got for $30 shipping.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3200 posts
1880 upvotes
bossfn wrote: Awesome, thanks!
Perfect gift to give someone you don't want to spend money on, but want them to think you did.
Or if you have a set family limit like we do, $25 is the sweet spot. I dont count tax or shipping ;)

Only downside is they have to provide their own bags. So a little more cost investment from the receiver of the gift.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 24, 2005
2610 posts
2781 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Are Ziploc bags even certified safe for sous-vide though? I know Foodsaver specifically advertises theirs are. Though I find Seal-A-Meal bags actually work better with my old-skool Foodsaver, I don't think I'd try to sous vide with them given they never really say you can. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid but heating up random plastic and cooking food in it, has never really been my cup of tea.
Ziploc is the market leader for food grade plastic, and their bags are BPA free and microwave-safe for defrosting and reheating food in direct contact (up to 170 Fahrenheit, a temperature higher than what most sous-vide cooks use).
It's not heating up random plastic.
..
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 26th, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
1383 posts
2815 upvotes
ahoroba wrote: Ziploc is the market leader for food grade plastic, and their bags are BPA free and microwave-safe for defrosting and reheating food in direct contact (up to 170 Fahrenheit, a temperature higher than what most sous-vide cooks use).
It's not heating up random plastic.
Go fear-monger some place else.
Brought to you buy the " Ziploc Foundation".
.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2045 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
uklamen wrote: There are plenty available at $25. Milton Ontario for instance has a lot of $25.

For me it was $10.99 for one shipped, $29.99 for 5. I only needed 5, so not sure how many I could have got for $30 shipping.
Only pick up is free...Milton is too far for me..Thanks anyway
Member
User avatar
Aug 14, 2022
409 posts
932 upvotes
Montreal
No understand the "imbecile" downvote lol.

As usual, some "scientists" here are smarter than others when comes time to ***Save Money***Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
5773 posts
4407 upvotes
6060842 wrote: Brought to you buy the " Ziploc Foundation".
it's on their website.

The main issues are going above 170F, and whether there is bps instead of bpa in it, but you can say that even for the dedicated sous vide bags.

Top