• Jul 17th, 2020 8:01 pm
[OP]
Banned
May 6, 2020
132 posts
428 upvotes
Cornwall

[Canadian Tire] MasterChef cast iron fry pan 12” for $21.99

Says hand wash only no dishwasher. The Flipp ad says it’s pre-seasoned and I dunno what that means. Anyways reg price is 89.99$ so seems like a good deal. I guess cooking a steak in these is the best Way other than bbq.
10 replies
Apr 1, 2009
185 posts
295 upvotes
I would recommend people wait for the lodge one that goes down to around $20-30. Made in US and will last a lifetime if cared for properly.
Also, people have mentioned issues with China made cast iron due to lead. Not sure how true it is though.
Pre-season means that some sort of oil or liquid has been applied so that the pan does not rust.
And just want to mention Cornwall is a wonderful place. Lived there for over a year and I occasionally crave Cornwallian pizza and shawarma.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2249 posts
1186 upvotes
Home
commandaria wrote: I would recommend people wait for the lodge one that goes down to around $20-30. Made in US and will last a lifetime if cared for properly.
Also, people have mentioned issues with China made cast iron due to lead. Not sure how true it is though.
Pre-season means that some sort of oil or liquid has been applied so that the pan does not rust.
And just want to mention Cornwall is a wonderful place. Lived there for over a year and I occasionally crave Cornwallian pizza and shawarma.
Cornwall Ontario??
Jan 18, 2005
209 posts
172 upvotes
Classic Canadian Tire. That regular price is absurd. You can get better pans at Williams and Sonoma for the same price or cheaper.

Sale Price is real price.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2686 posts
1786 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Canadian Tire always does that and the gullible impulsive shopper feels tempted to buy this huge 80% or 90% off sale. I rarely pay attention to these fictitious CT sales.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1992 posts
1859 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote: Canadian Tire always does that and the gullible impulsive shopper feels tempted to buy this huge 80% or 90% off sale. I rarely pay attention to these fictitious CT sales.
LOL, just like the bright orange shelf tags that say "great price" when it's actually just their inflated regular price.
Jun 10, 2008
96 posts
68 upvotes
Bought this pan when it was $20 a few months ago. Just so you know, it's 12" at the top of the lip, and 10" at the bottom. It weighs 7 lbs 11 0z, so that extra handle comes in handy. The bottom doesn't have the Lodge style circular ridge that keeps the pan slightly off of a glass cooktop, I prefer this style because that ridge might have more of a tendency to scratch glass. It has a very slight convex shape with the centre pointing up, like most aluminum and steel pans I've seen. As for Chinese lead, I haven't found anything credible that proves it could be a problem, it seems iron absorption may be more what people with certain issues should be aware of. Go for the Lodge if you can get it for the same price, but be aware Lodge castings are a LOT more coarse and will require far more grinding to smooth the inside if that's what you prefer. This pan was pretty smooth, and I just used my random orbital 5" sander to clean it up before seasoning.
Jan 19, 2021
1 posts
There is no lead in chinese cast iron. It is impossible because even if there were lead mixed in with the ore it would all boil away during smelting - lead boils (yes, boils, not just melts) at a lower temperature than it takes to melt iron.