• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2021 3:06 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
323 posts
490 upvotes
NEPEAN

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 11A Fixed & Plunge Base Router $130 - 50% off

Good deal on a router if you're looking for one - and some good reviews. Nice to have the plunger option included. Enjoy.

specs:
Mastercraft 11A Fixed and Plunge Base Router features a powerful 11A, 2HP motor that is built for heavy-duty applications and continuous use
"LIVE" tool indicator has a green light that shines when there is power to the tool
Ergonomic handles provide greater comfort and control
LED work lights Illuminate the work surface for greater visibility during routing
Straight edge guide aligns router along edges of workpiece or up to 7-7/8"(20 cm) from edge
Convenient 1-1/4" (3.2 cm) dust extraction adaptors attach to a vacuum for efficient collection of debris
Soft start for smooth start-ups
Plunge routing functionality is great for mortising, stopped dados, inlay pattern work and template routing with a depth capacity of 2" (50.8 mm) and fine adjustments as small as 1/256" (0.09 mm)
Fixed-base routing functionality is ideal for free-hand edge work, jig work and router table use with a depth capacity of 1 3/4" (44.5 mm) and fine adjustments as small as 1/256" (0.09 mm)
Includes motor pack, plunge-base, fixed-base, 2 self-releasing collects (1/4" & 1/2"), straight edge guide, 1-1/4” dust-extraction adaptor (fixed-base), 1-1/4" dust-extraction adaptor (plunge-base), 2 chip shields, collect wrench, screws, nylon tote and instruction manual
24 replies
Sep 10, 2012
145 posts
143 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Got this last time for $99. Still haven't opened it.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
323 posts
490 upvotes
NEPEAN
kylekersh wrote: Got this last time for $99. Still haven't opened it.
Help me out on this one Kyle. Are you trying to say this is not a good deal? or that you wasted your money on a product you'll never use?
Sep 10, 2012
145 posts
143 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Velvetsmack wrote: Help me out on this one Kyle. Are you trying to say this is not a good deal? or that you wasted your money on a product you'll never use?
If you're in the market this is an alright price. As for me, I'll use it... eventually.
Jul 30, 2008
46 posts
28 upvotes
Velvetsmack wrote: Help me out on this one Kyle. Are you trying to say this is not a good deal? or that you wasted your money on a product you'll never use?
Excuse him - he's just being a Kyle. They're the worst.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31746 posts
13112 upvotes
Lulz "help me out on this one Kyle" :lol:

Guess RFD effect. Gets even the best of us at times lol. I still only ate one slice of my cheesecake :|

:lol:
Aug 17, 2007
315 posts
329 upvotes
It's not bad for someone who really wants both bases. My buddy has one and I have the Bosch 1617 and the Mastercraft is capable enough but the bases and depth adjustments just don't work QUITE as well.

Edit: Guess it has dust collection adapters and my buddy doesn't use them.
Nov 27, 2013
138 posts
164 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have this router, bought it the last time it was on sale. Ive been pretty impressed with it honestly. Its easy to use, powerful and a great value for what you get.
Nov 8, 2007
515 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
I got one the maximum router as a present then bought the maximum bits when they were 80% off and the pair sat on my shelf for years. Then they didn't. Glad I had them because I was able to come up some fun things during covid. The router I have is a really good tool but I have no idea if CT has changed who makes it and the internal parts.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1627 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
I have a router however only used it a couple times in the last 20 years, i enjoy buying tools when on sale and most times they come in handy at some point. I generally wait for the brand and sale price that is too good to pass up on, with my expected usage to be low then a bargain like this one just might do the trick.

If the price is right and you wish to have in your arsenal of tools then go for it.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11196 posts
1306 upvotes
GVR
Been sorta waiting on the bosch combo to be discounted, but even if and when that makes it 2x+ this price.

Never owned router before. Like that it has fixed+plunge - so what is this lacking/what's not as good compared to the bosch or dewalt combo ones?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1256 posts
1034 upvotes
Oakville
Purchased this for $99 too. Decent router for the money. I don't use it a ton but great to have when you need one.

If you are using it a lot, then step up to the Bosch. Otherwise, for the odd job, this works perfect.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11196 posts
1306 upvotes
GVR
LOOSEWHEEL wrote: If you are using it a lot, then step up to the Bosch. Otherwise, for the odd job, this works perfect.
Why do you say that?
Aug 17, 2007
315 posts
329 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Why do you say that?
I don't have the newest Bosch but the 1617EVSPK combo I got was more than double the price and the newest model with the trigger on the base is even more. For a serious user, the biggest thing is the variable speed on the Bosch to safely use all types of bits (especially large ones). The Bosch has a nicer soft start and better depth adjustment as well. If all you want to do is the occasional edge work I would actually suggest a good palm router but if you need more power and want both bases that's hard to find at this price.
Apr 20, 2017
239 posts
412 upvotes
Has anyone used this with a Bosch ra1181 router table? My router table is still sitting in a box waiting for a router to be put in. I doubt this router has a great plunge for that price, but wondering if it would be decent in the table?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5106 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
foz240 wrote: Has anyone used this with a Bosch ra1181 router table? My router table is still sitting in a box waiting for a router to be put in. I doubt this router has a great plunge for that price, but wondering if it would be decent in the table?
I don't have this exact router but have the Maximum version and have the RA1171 table. It fits fine in the table although you cant adjust height from on-top since the pre-drilled hole don't align with the fixed plate (you could just drill through the Bosch plate if you want height adjustment from top badly, I don't find it that difficult to open the cabinet and adjust the base with the screw).

Also can't speak to specific plunge of this router but doubt it's much different than the Maximum one. If it's very similar, the plunge function was fine to me. Although, beyond taking it out of the table for use in my router sled, I would probably look at a smaller/cordless routers for edge routing.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3040 posts
3006 upvotes
The people that say you purchased "this" one are you sure you purchased this specific one? It looks like this is a new model that launched recently

Canadian Tire has a lot of routers that look kinda similar and are around the same price
The one in this thread is 11A
This one is 10A: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... 6988p.html
This one is also 10A: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/0547010.html
This one is 12A: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... 6902p.html
This one is 9.5A: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp
MAXIMUM 11A: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... 6810p.html
A different MAXIMUM 14a: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11196 posts
1306 upvotes
GVR
Still debating just picking this up already. I don't think it's "as good" as the bosch set I've been waiting to go on sale, but also my first set ever... so gotta start somewhere? I don't exactly know where the troubles/weaknesses of this router will be, since there is little info and I also know very little :)

I sort of mainly just hate the mastercraft brand not being very good, and returns can be a huge headache at canadian tire, especially if open/used. Has anyone picked this up and have any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3040 posts
3006 upvotes
I went to buy one yesterday, the store near me had 2 on the shelf. I'm glad I asked to inspect before buying as both had scratches on the glass/plastic. They were clearly used. Not sure who I am mad at more -- CanadianTire for selling used goods as new, or the people that buy a tool to use for a project and then return it
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3362 posts
1554 upvotes
Mississauga
Hmm.. I picked up the cordless ridgid fixed based now during the free battery pomo but thinking if I should get this one as it offers both.. for my limited use case.. DIY,, flexibility will be better.. also most of the time I'll be doing it in the garage or driveway so power is not so much of an issue .. thoughts??

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)