[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 12" sliding dual bevel mitre saw. 50% off

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2017 8:46 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2012
246 posts
35 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 12" sliding dual bevel mitre saw. 50% off

I think this is a hot deal. I own this saw, but I just happened to notice the price while browsing their site tonight.

I bought it for 499 I think, and although it's not a great brand, it's been more than good for me doing home Renos. For a non contractor, this is a really good buy imho.

I didn't see it posted, so hopefully someone can find this deal useful.
10 replies
Jan 19, 2017
34 posts
19 upvotes
It's seemingly always 50% off. Can't speak for the quality though.

I always check to see if it's on sale when a new CT flyer comes out.. feels like it's ALWAYS half off.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2012
246 posts
35 upvotes
Baconis wrote: It's seemingly always 50% off. Can't speak for the quality though.

I always check to see if it's on sale when a new CT flyer comes out.. feels like it's ALWAYS half off.
ahhh ok. my bad. I've never noticed before.
Jan 19, 2017
34 posts
19 upvotes
Keep an eye out every flyer as a little game. It's a good lesson that 50% off that doesn't always mean it's a good deal.

I think a lot of their mastercraft tools have this pattern.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2601 posts
907 upvotes
Nunavut
Rule of thumb - never buy anything regular price at Canadian tire, ~40% brings things down to what item should be priced at

At $499 would have been wiser to go with a better brand, but at $250 is a pretty decent price for a Mastercraft 12" dual bevel
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9158 posts
4686 upvotes
Paris
Years ago I worked in power tools and we did a good part of the Craftsman benchtop and portable stuff. We sold this amazing router (RE601) under the Craftsman name and they sold around 1,000 per year. 6 for $600, and the other 994 for $300 on an "amazing deal" flyer promo.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3730 posts
2053 upvotes
Baconis wrote: Keep an eye out every flyer as a little game. It's a good lesson that 50% off that doesn't always mean it's a good deal.

I think a lot of their mastercraft tools have this pattern.
Agreed. Some people just see the discount percentage and think it means they're getting a bargain.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2946 posts
1668 upvotes
I don't recall ever seeing this saw this low.

I saw $380 once and was tempted.

I've been looking for a 12" sliding dual bevel and this is perfect. Value/quality ratio is great. Not the best, but the better ones I never see lower than $400 and hard to find.
Banned
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
958 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
I have a 12" Ridgid slider from Home Depot and love it! Huge work surface, lifetime warranty.
Jan 9, 2014
41 posts
58 upvotes
I've used this saw. Its OK for someone who just needs to do a few small jobs here and there. Compared to the Dewalt it felt very cheap. All the hardware such as the slide lock, tilt adjustment, etc. felt very cheap and had handles made of cheap plastic. I don't think this saw would last if you were accident prone or rough on stuff.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11566 posts
2956 upvotes
I always tell people, if you pay regular price for any tool at CT you are overpaying, their sales are cyclical, and short cycle too, usually 2-4 weeks, similar items, etc... and mostly 40-55% off. And their math never makes sense, (ie regular price $20, 45% off, $10???) such as this deal, regular price $599.99, 50% off $279.99.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... p.html#srp

I bought a mastercraft maximum sliding mitre saw years ago, has worked great, never an issue, except for the dust port, of course, plastic tube standing on top, cracked... can't find a replacement, but the saw itself with the maximum is lifetime warranty.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.