Mastercraft 229 piece socket set - $97.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 7:42 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
198 posts
424 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 229 piece socket set - $97.99

Doing some minor car repairs at home and was shopping for a decent set of starter tools. This set fits the bill and is on sale for a pretty good price. Limited lifetime warranty
34 replies
Nov 10, 2004
869 posts
571 upvotes
Chatham
Am I the only one that read this as minecraft 229 piece set?
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
162 upvotes
cire wrote: Am I the only one that read this as minecraft 229 piece set?
It i 229 pieces as stated on the CDN Tire site
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9918 posts
2388 upvotes
Edmonton
Not really hot when it goes on sale pretty much every second week and has an inflated price to start with
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1217 posts
1274 upvotes
Abbotsford
Good set. The only better deal is the big stanley set when it drops to $90
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4433 posts
1688 upvotes
WFH
Don't like these laser etched sockets. Doesn't take much abuse before you can't read them.
May 7, 2015
110 posts
46 upvotes
Newmarket
I dont understand why all these brands are going with dark colour sockets. Nothing's worse than dropping a socket if you're working on your car at night, or outside.

The price isnt bad for 3 socket sizes; usually they wouldnt give you the 1/2" for 97 piece. But mastercraft tools dont hold up to regular use; i'd pay the extra 20 or 40 for a maximum kit. Granted i use my tools every week.
Dec 24, 2007
490 posts
138 upvotes
DanielM491 wrote: Good set. The only better deal is the big stanley set when it drops to $90
How many piece is the Stanley set your talking about?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4785 posts
2231 upvotes
GTA
DistrustBRZ wrote: I just purchased this kit from Canadian Tire on May 20, 2020 for the price of $120 + tax. Kind of sucks that they dropped the price to $98 now, when I'm 16 days into my purchase date, receipt says 14 days price adjustment only.
Buy a new one and return it with the old receipt, problem solved.
Sep 2, 2014
312 posts
516 upvotes
Vancouver
jellytime wrote: I don't need such a big set. I'm looking at these two. Would it matter which of these two I should get?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stan ... c=true#spc

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... c=true#spc
I have a similar sized mastercraft set to these, but mine came with a screwdriver type handle (similar to the Stanley you linked). I find it useful to have. Using a screw-type head in a ratchet head is awkward to me, and sometimes doesn't work if you need a longer reach (but I guess you could use an extension?

I keep the set in the back of my car at all times. It's gotten me out of many pinches.

Edit: I still like the OP's kit better. My lugnuts are 19mm, and the smaller sets you posted don't have deep 19mm. Might not be an issue if you just use a tire iron, or have a separate breaker bar set with what you need.
Dec 21, 2011
160 posts
293 upvotes
Summerland, British …
jellytime wrote: I don't need such a big set. I'm looking at these two. Would it matter which of these two I should get?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stan ... c=true#spc

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... c=true#spc
You say that now, but one day you will need a socket you don't have and with you just go the larger set to start with.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3288 posts
2170 upvotes
Langley
dburroughs1 wrote: You say that now, but one day you will need a socket you don't have and with you just go the larger set to start with.
I was thinking about it yesterday and I think you're right. I should just go with the bigger set.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6102 posts
3628 upvotes
Ottawa
I usually don't go for these MC sets. This is a decent one with decent specs. I really really don't like the practice of pumping up the number of "tools" with useless allen keys (they are typically craptastic quality) and an array of bits that are seldom used and of dubious quality. Nevertheless, the sockets are okay. The ratchets are not "forever tools" but they can be upgraded when they fail.