Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 6 Amp Belt Sander & 6 Amp Planer

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2016 8:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 6 Amp Belt Sander & 6 Amp Planer

Looks like a good deal.
Just wondering how good/bad about the planer, can't find too much info online.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
1454 posts
137 upvotes
victoria, bc
nellium wrote: HORRIBLE PRICE. They go for about $50 on their own on sale.

for reference ct-mastercraft-planer-belt-sander-99-99-ymmv-1775269/

The kit will go on sale for $99, even if you factor cost/inflation whatever it should still only come in at $120

isn't it $90 on sale for both? seems like a good deal as long as you need both.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 16, 2009
3533 posts
1598 upvotes
'Shwallywood
njchan wrote: isn't it $90 on sale for both? seems like a good deal as long as you need both.
On sale tomorrow at $89 is a great price. But at OP's $240 that's ridiculous for intertek listed junk
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
I realized I made some typo
what I am trying to say is, it's on sale tomorrow for $89.99 :D lol

original post already corrected
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
ohhh we can have belt sander races! just need to buy two.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Newbie
Jan 16, 2016
78 posts
33 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It's a good deal if you need both, I've seen them on sale individually for $50, I'm going to go purchase this deal so I can retire my old planer and belt sander
Newbie
Oct 20, 2013
7 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I had the belt sander, it's piece of garbage, engine blew out the same day i bought it, I ended up buying a different sander which actually worked. It's a cheaply made sander that is all plastic, and won't handle the lightest jobs... even at this price, save yourself the headache.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
actually these two are on sell separately for $59.99 each starts from tomorrow
already got a B&D belt sander this year, so think about getting the planner
the price is even cheaper than WEN on amazon.ca
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
570 posts
436 upvotes
GTA
The belt sander looks like a disposable tool. It’s money wasted in my opinion, if you are ever planning to do any serious work. It’s so inexpensive however that it might be good learning device. Once it breaks, or breaks what you are working on, you will appreciate something like the one below.

This is currently five times the price (drops to 4x occasionally), but when you consider that you are actually buying it for your kids--since it will last for decades—it’s not such a bad price: https://www.amazon.ca/Makita-9924DB-3-I ... B0000223IW
Member
Dec 17, 2014
280 posts
58 upvotes
Eastern Canada
Didn't have high expectations for the dollar but I am quite impressed.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1509 upvotes
WFH
stang wrote: The belt sander looks like a disposable tool. It’s money wasted in my opinion, if you are ever planning to do any serious work. It’s so inexpensive however that it might be good learning device. Once it breaks, or breaks what you are working on, you will appreciate something like the one below.

This is currently five times the price (drops to 4x occasionally), but when you consider that you are actually buying it for your kids--since it will last for decades—it’s not such a bad price: https://www.amazon.ca/Makita-9924DB-3-I ... B0000223IW
These small planers are great for occasional use eg quickly taking 1/4" off the bottom of a door but don't expect a good finish or any accuracy from it.

For the belt sander I agree with stang. It's one tool that has to be able to take a lot of abuse and you really do get what you pay for. If you don't use that mastercraft enough to break it then you probably don't need a belt sander.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
570 posts
436 upvotes
GTA
stang wrote: This is currently five times the price (drops to 4x occasionally), but when you consider that you are actually buying it for your kids--since it will last for decades—it’s not such a bad price: https://www.amazon.ca/Makita-9924DB-3-I ... B0000223IW
Amazon DEAL OF THE DAY--Monday June 6th
Makita 9403 11 Amp 4-Inch-by-24-Inch Belt Sander (This is a newer and more powerful belt sander than the one I posted above; it's also quieter)
$259.99. It's currently $309.00 at Mississauga Hardware. So, a decent deal at around a $50 savings.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2006
2718 posts
1466 upvotes
Barrie
stang wrote: The belt sander looks like a disposable tool. It’s money wasted in my opinion, if you are ever planning to do any serious work. It’s so inexpensive however that it might be good learning device. Once it breaks, or breaks what you are working on, you will appreciate something like the one below.

This is currently five times the price (drops to 4x occasionally), but when you consider that you are actually buying it for your kids--since it will last for decades—it’s not such a bad price: https://www.amazon.ca/Makita-9924DB-3-I ... B0000223IW
dirtmover wrote: These small planers are great for occasional use eg quickly taking 1/4" off the bottom of a door but don't expect a good finish or any accuracy from it.

For the belt sander I agree with stang. It's one tool that has to be able to take a lot of abuse and you really do get what you pay for. If you don't use that mastercraft enough to break it then you probably don't need a belt sander.
stang wrote: Amazon DEAL OF THE DAY--Monday June 6th
Makita 9403 11 Amp 4-Inch-by-24-Inch Belt Sander (This is a newer and more powerful belt sander than the one I posted above; it's also quieter)
$259.99. It's currently $309.00 at Mississauga Hardware. So, a decent deal at around a $50 savings.
If you are going to go to that grade of machine, isn't this a better deal right now?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hitachi-SB8V2-Inc ... CSA5JQ4V2D
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1509 upvotes
WFH
RunnerForDeals wrote: If you are going to go to that grade of machine, isn't this a better deal right now?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hitachi-SB8V2-Inc ... CSA5JQ4V2D
I did own that Hitachi model for a while and it's a pretty solid tool. It does a great job of dust extraction especially when connected to a shop vac. What I don't like about it is that the belt wanders around a lot, place it on the workpiece and it wanders off to the left, lift it back off and it wanders back to where you've set it with the tracking control. This makes it very difficult to sand right up to the edge. If you're not careful and the belt moves too much it can come off the rollers quickly trashing the belt. There's also a bit more plastic to it than I'd like to see. The 9924 is a lot more stable. I've not used the 9403 but since it combines a bigger belt with a more powerful motor my money would go on it as a better value at today's deal of the day price.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
I thought belt sander is not for detail works, so what's the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one
aren't they function the same?
Sr. Member
Sep 2, 2007
731 posts
230 upvotes
sgudoc wrote: I had the belt sander, it's piece of garbage, engine blew out the same day i bought it, I ended up buying a different sander which actually worked. It's a cheaply made sander that is all plastic, and won't handle the lightest jobs... even at this price, save yourself the headache.
I just replaced the belt on my belt sander. It is Makita and I have it for over 30 years. It has been used a lot.
The current price for a similar or same model in HH is $265 (not on sale)

Buy quality tools they will last you a life time.

Yes the belt lasted a long time...lol
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
570 posts
436 upvotes
GTA
RunnerForDeals wrote: If you are going to go to that grade of machine, isn't this a better deal right now?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hitachi-SB8V2-Inc ... CSA5JQ4V2D
No. That appears to be the same price everywhere--Amazon prices are always inflated—and it's an inferior tool. I based the $50 savings on the Makita on the lowest Canadian selling price I could find.

The Makita is more powerful, takes a larger belt, is quieter etc. Buy what you want, but I would only consider Makita for trouble free belt sanders.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
570 posts
436 upvotes
GTA
billrush wrote: I just replaced the belt on my belt sander. It is Makita and I have it for over 30 years. It has been used a lot.
The current price for a similar or same model in HH is $265 (not on sale)

Buy quality tools they will last you a life time.
That must have been an amazing sanding belt to last 30 years! :razz:

Top