• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 12:13 am
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
156 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 6" Digital Caliper - $12.89

Metal calipers with a hard carrying case and 1-year warranty. For comparison, almost anything from Amazon in this price range has plastic blades and lacks a protective case.

While Canadian Tire's "MSRP" may be $42.99, these regularly hover around $20, so these are a decent deal at $7 off.

Two batteries (one to use + one extra) are also included.
41 replies
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
The zero tends to wander.
But then again, these are not aerospace grade.
May 10, 2016
46 posts
37 upvotes
These are a great pair of "beater" calipers. I've abused them at work for years and haven't found any major issues. I wouldn't use them for precision machining, but they're great for measuring hole sizes, material thicknesses, and modelling components.
Mar 29, 2015
12 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
For students in design or anything that needs physical modelling these work great. I bought one years ago and it lasted me through school no problem. Still use them every once in a while.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4132 posts
310 upvotes
thanks op, will pick one up later in the week
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5005 posts
1081 upvotes
Kanata
Damn, I think I picked the wrong one. It's the same blue colour but it came in a package rather than a box. I'll return it tomorrow for a box.

Thanks for posting, I've been looking to buy one, was too lazy to purchase on Amazon.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
1617 posts
189 upvotes
Montreal
Tabooger wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:09 pm
Damn, I think I picked the wrong one. It's the same blue colour but it came in a package rather than a box. I'll return it tomorrow for a box.

Thanks for posting, I've been looking to buy one, was too lazy to purchase on Amazon.
Look carefully at your package. If I remember correctly the box is open in the package, so it does not really look like a box is included.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
156 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Tabooger wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:09 pm
The one I bought looked like this. As AMD mentioned, the case is opened in the packaging, easy to miss if you're not looking closely.

These calipers have the older Mastercraft logo as well. The older stuff always seems to be a bit better than anything branded with the new logo nowadays.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5005 posts
1081 upvotes
Kanata
AMD wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 7:39 pm
Look carefully at your package. If I remember correctly the box is open in the package, so it does not really look like a box is included.
Oh you're right! Just checked, the box is included. I feel like an idiot now...
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Jan 19, 2006
326 posts
123 upvotes
BC
NSFW review by AvE of this type of caliper... proceed at your own risk!

BTW, I love my cheap calipers!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7596 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
I would actually prefer the measuring blades to be plastic, as it won't scratch up whatever you are measuring when it makes contact.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2071 posts
564 upvotes
Halifax
The batteries these ship with die quickly. The original battery died after three months of very light use and the spare in the case was dead when I installed it.
Apr 8, 2005
762 posts
399 upvotes
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how these function? Is there an optical sensor inside that somehow measures travel along the ruler part similar to a mouse, or is it mechanically measuring the rotation of the adjustment wheel or something different?

In terms of the deal, I've had a pair of these for a couple years now and they work well for the price.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3534 posts
406 upvotes
Mitutoyo brand is what you need. Not the crappy tire brand.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2279 posts
389 upvotes
Vancouver
appleb wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 4:26 am
I would actually prefer the measuring blades to be plastic, as it won't scratch up whatever you are measuring when it makes contact.
30 years ago, I bought a Canadian Tire branded (not Mastercraft) plastic vernier caliper for $2. For my occasional use of approximate measurements, it served my purpose.
frankw wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:49 am
The batteries these ship with die quickly. The original battery died after three months of very light use and the spare in the case was dead when I installed it.
This is one of the main reasons why I avoid battery operated stuff as much as possible. With my luck, when I need it, battery is dead.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)