Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Mastercraft 6" Digital Caliper - $12.89

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2018 2:39 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5348 posts
2685 upvotes
WFH
Avatar wrote: Mitutoyo brand is what you need. Not the crappy tire brand.
Dang, where did the downvote button go :(
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1686 posts
1254 upvotes
Calgary
I just picked up one, had to return it because it wouldn't zero out properly. Exchanged it for another and it works ok. Quality seems a bit cheap, but for my purposes it will work fine. The measurements seem accurate
Oct 3, 2016
81 posts
57 upvotes
Just bought this, came battery NOT installed, with a packed second batt. None were dead or low. Checked on a known inside diameter (good inside micrometer) was within .001. Great deal. If your a machinist pay the bucks, everyone else, it's a decent caliper at a great price. No origin, no absolute, but does have fractions. Most don't need those extras.
Jun 6, 2011
261 posts
372 upvotes
Victoria, BC
If you need relatively cheap but good quality calipers I have and highly recommend the Igaging EZCal 6". Eltie Tools has it for $27.99 + $9.99 shipping (free for $100+) but you can always combine shipping with other items or wait for a sale. They're no Mitutoyo or Starrett but they're accurate and reliable for home use.

https://www.elitetools.ca/en/product/ig ... fractions/
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2456 posts
2953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Picked one up after work earlier today. Thanks OP!

Came with an extra battery too, hope it lasts a bit for casual use.
Apr 8, 2005
916 posts
633 upvotes
Mykolas wrote: Out of curiosity, does anyone know how these function? Is there an optical sensor inside that somehow measures travel along the ruler part similar to a mouse, or is it mechanically measuring the rotation of the adjustment wheel or something different?
No thoughts on how this thing does its measurement? I'm amazed at how precise it is just using that thumbwheel.
Nov 25, 2015
139 posts
290 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
emmpeethree good luck with the ebay purchase. That caliper is plastic where as the Canadian Tire caliper is steel.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
5090 posts
5530 upvotes
Toronto
likethewine wrote: emmpeethree good luck with the ebay purchase. That caliper is plastic where as the Canadian Tire caliper is steel.
not to mention the 1 star product rating. also for roughly $7 more, you get it instantly instead of waiting 1 - 2 months
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6134 posts
3607 upvotes
Toronto
arisk wrote: I guess they thought if they used enough words ...
they would maximize search results.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5598 posts
3972 upvotes
GTA
Mine seems a bit crusty, the back and forth movement is how do you say... not smooth at all. Is anyones else also not smooth or is this what we should expect for $13?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2303 posts
680 upvotes
Vancouver
I just picked one up today. Yeah, the slides are pretty crusty.
Dec 7, 2014
30 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
shabby wrote: Mine seems a bit crusty, the back and forth movement is how do you say... not smooth at all. Is anyones else also not smooth or is this what we should expect for $13?
If you watch the video linked back on page 1, the guy takes his cheapo caliper apart and cleans all the gunk out that was never cleaned at manufacture and it works more smoothly.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2103 posts
1719 upvotes
Vancouver
I think I have the same one but from ebay. Got it a few years back and it works great. Batteries die in it as mentioned, but you can just grab a 10 pack of AG13 from your favourite chinese retailer and keep them out of the caliper when not using them.

The back of the caliper also protrudes out, very useful for measure tire depth etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5424 posts
5281 upvotes
GTA
90% buyers of Mastercraft calipers will use them only to impress mother in law. As mentioned above, checking tire depth with vernier caliper, on cold , fall day when swapping wheels for the winter - could "score" you some points. Poor lady looks out the window, and there he is - her hero, son in law, using high tech gadget to check something on the rubber! Big thumbs up, he is smarter than she thought! Best $12 ever spent.

On the serious note - I love my Mitutoyo. If you think , you will use this tool more than 1-2 times /month get the Mitutoyo. It will last you for many, many years. Sometimes you can score one on Kijiji for fraction of original price and the difference is day to night.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6138 posts
2941 upvotes
Kanata
Tommy74 wrote: 90% buyers of Mastercraft calipers will use them only to impress mother in law. As mentioned above, checking tire depth with vernier caliper, on cold , fall day when swapping wheels for the winter - could "score" you some points. Poor lady looks out the window, and there he is - her hero, son in law, using high tech gadget to check something on the rubber! Big thumbs up, he is smarter than she thought! Best $12 ever spent.

On the serious note - I love my Mitutoyo. If you think , you will use this tool more than 1-2 times /month get the Mitutoyo. It will last you for many, many years. Sometimes you can score one on Kijiji for fraction of original price and the difference is day to night.
lol wtf are you talking about...
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Nov 18, 2006
652 posts
316 upvotes
Mykolas wrote: No thoughts on how this thing does its measurement? I'm amazed at how precise it is just using that thumbwheel.
Capacitance sensor embedded down the length. I believe the thumb wheel is just to help control how much clamping force you apply.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2456 posts
2953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tabooger wrote: lol wtf are you talking about...
He ended up with his mother-in-law one sunny afternoon after using this beast mastercraft tool Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)