• Nov 18th, 2017 12:13 am
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
1968 posts
1159 upvotes
Toronto
likethewine wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:18 am
emmpeethree good luck with the ebay purchase. That caliper is plastic where as the Canadian Tire caliper is steel.
not to mention the 1 star product rating. also for roughly $7 more, you get it instantly instead of waiting 1 - 2 months
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2733 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
arisk wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:13 am
I guess they thought if they used enough words ...
they would maximize search results.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3052 posts
395 upvotes
GTA
Mine seems a bit crusty, the back and forth movement is how do you say... not smooth at all. Is anyones else also not smooth or is this what we should expect for $13?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1857 posts
226 upvotes
Vancouver
I just picked one up today. Yeah, the slides are pretty crusty.
Dec 7, 2014
29 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
shabby wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 10:06 pm
Mine seems a bit crusty, the back and forth movement is how do you say... not smooth at all. Is anyones else also not smooth or is this what we should expect for $13?
If you watch the video linked back on page 1, the guy takes his cheapo caliper apart and cleans all the gunk out that was never cleaned at manufacture and it works more smoothly.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1173 posts
465 upvotes
Vancouver
I think I have the same one but from ebay. Got it a few years back and it works great. Batteries die in it as mentioned, but you can just grab a 10 pack of AG13 from your favourite chinese retailer and keep them out of the caliper when not using them.

The back of the caliper also protrudes out, very useful for measure tire depth etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2306 posts
1167 upvotes
GTA
90% buyers of Mastercraft calipers will use them only to impress mother in law. As mentioned above, checking tire depth with vernier caliper, on cold , fall day when swapping wheels for the winter - could "score" you some points. Poor lady looks out the window, and there he is - her hero, son in law, using high tech gadget to check something on the rubber! Big thumbs up, he is smarter than she thought! Best $12 ever spent.

On the serious note - I love my Mitutoyo. If you think , you will use this tool more than 1-2 times /month get the Mitutoyo. It will last you for many, many years. Sometimes you can score one on Kijiji for fraction of original price and the difference is day to night.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5114 posts
1154 upvotes
Kanata
Tommy74 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 5:06 pm
90% buyers of Mastercraft calipers will use them only to impress mother in law. As mentioned above, checking tire depth with vernier caliper, on cold , fall day when swapping wheels for the winter - could "score" you some points. Poor lady looks out the window, and there he is - her hero, son in law, using high tech gadget to check something on the rubber! Big thumbs up, he is smarter than she thought! Best $12 ever spent.

On the serious note - I love my Mitutoyo. If you think , you will use this tool more than 1-2 times /month get the Mitutoyo. It will last you for many, many years. Sometimes you can score one on Kijiji for fraction of original price and the difference is day to night.
lol wtf are you talking about...
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Nov 18, 2006
448 posts
125 upvotes
Mykolas wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:53 am
No thoughts on how this thing does its measurement? I'm amazed at how precise it is just using that thumbwheel.
Capacitance sensor embedded down the length. I believe the thumb wheel is just to help control how much clamping force you apply.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1432 posts
1217 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tabooger wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 5:17 pm
lol wtf are you talking about...
He ended up with his mother-in-law one sunny afternoon after using this beast mastercraft tool Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2186 posts
184 upvotes
North York
Tommy74 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 5:06 pm
I've used the MC for many, many years now - likely close to 10, with maybe one or two battery replacements in there - either way not very often. I'd buy another if it's still the same quality, at this price a no brainer for a homeowner grade tool.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7938 posts
6367 upvotes
Oakville
jzmtl wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:12 pm
The battery in these die quickly because the standby current is almost as high as using them, take out the battery when not using and they'll last a long time.

And it's only 10x to 20x the price, awesome!
+1. I've had this set for at least 5 years and I'm still on the original battery. I do take it out when I don't plan to use it for a while.