Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Mastercraft 6" Digital Caliper - $12.89

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2018 2:39 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2683 posts
580 upvotes
North York
Tommy74 wrote: On the serious note - I love my Mitutoyo. If you think , you will use this tool more than 1-2 times /month get the Mitutoyo. It will last you for many, many years. Sometimes you can score one on Kijiji for fraction of original price and the difference is day to night.
I've used the MC for many, many years now - likely close to 10, with maybe one or two battery replacements in there - either way not very often. I'd buy another if it's still the same quality, at this price a no brainer for a homeowner grade tool.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
jzmtl wrote: The battery in these die quickly because the standby current is almost as high as using them, take out the battery when not using and they'll last a long time.

And it's only 10x to 20x the price, awesome!
+1. I've had this set for at least 5 years and I'm still on the original battery. I do take it out when I don't plan to use it for a while.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Sep 7, 2007
361 posts
188 upvotes
Woodstock
This thread is a year old, but I see Canadian Tire has this on sale again for $12.89, regular price $42.99.

Always a sucker for a bargain, I bought this as a backup for my 30-year-old Mitutoyo digital caliper that cost over $100 back in the day. My first impression was the mediocre finish. machining quality and rough feel. However, it became smoother with use. Upon closer examination I noticed that one of the inner measurement jaws was ground down to a knife edge at the tip, not good.

The most annoying feature of this particular model caliper is the decimal inch display. The inches and tenths are displayed in large numerals while the hundredths and thousandths etc. are small numerals, which is extremely confusing. (The millimetres go from large to small at the decimal point, a little less confusing, but still annoying.) Only the fraction scale looks "normal" and the others are probably messed up to accommodate this. Who measures in 1/128ths these days anyway?

I can also see scratches on the plastic lens in the above pictures, which I never noticed in use.

It appears that the fraction option was added on the current model because reading the reviews, it wasn't always there before. For me use the fractions are useless and I I was to buy another cheap digital caliper I'd get the one on eBay without the fractions, but a better display

On the plus side, this caliper does have auto power off and actually turns itself on as soon as you start using it, as well as a power button.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)