Expired Hot Deals

Canadian Tire

Mastercraft 7.5A Impact Wrench, 1/2-in (Corded) 2/3rd off - $59.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 10:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft 7.5A Impact Wrench, 1/2-in (Corded) 2/3rd off - $59.99

For folks who do not need the convenience of a cordless tool for their twice yearly tire changes, this is a good deal for an impact wrench.
73 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6155 posts
589 upvotes
Quebec
i don't understand why they don't make a corded stubby type wrench, would sell well.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2742 posts
2633 upvotes
You could change your tires faster with manual tools than a corded impact wrench in a standard home garage scenario. This applies to a pneumatic wrench as well.
My dad has one and when I lived under his roof I used it once and the hassle of extension cords + the weight of this thing defeated the purpose.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 23, 2005
2521 posts
3367 upvotes
Toronto
Chewfam wrote: You could change your tires faster with manual tools than a corded impact wrench in a standard home garage scenario. This applies to a pneumatic wrench as well.
My dad has one and when I lived under his roof I used it once and the hassle of extension cords + the weight of this thing defeated the purpose.
if you make sure your extension cord is put away properly, the wrench will help. I take my impact wrench, grab my extension cord thats not all messed up, sit down and in 30 seconds all 5 bolts are out.

its all about the setup. if you set things up properly, ready to go, it'll be easy... if not, everytime you have to sort out the cord, then thats on the user, not the tool.
Sr. Member
Oct 23, 2014
514 posts
395 upvotes
Laval, QC
Chewfam wrote: You could change your tires faster with manual tools than a corded impact wrench in a standard home garage scenario. This applies to a pneumatic wrench as well.
You want to bet ? guaranteed you will lose..

maybe you`re very weak and unorganized ..(no offense)
Member
Mar 8, 2008
241 posts
157 upvotes
Edmonton
I have the Nut Buster version of this corded impact and it's heavy AF. I've only ever used this tool twice and it was to break a rust exhaust bolt and to break some bolt loose when I was working on my differential. Other than that, this thing is just collecting dust. I reach for my Milwaukee Stubby as it fits into tighter spaces and can break most bolts loose.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2742 posts
2633 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: if you make sure your extension cord is put away properly, the wrench will help. I take my impact wrench, grab my extension cord thats not all messed up, sit down and in 30 seconds all 5 bolts are out.

its all about the setup. if you set things up properly, ready to go, it'll be easy... if not, everytime you have to sort out the cord, then thats on the user, not the tool.
nickgritz wrote: You want to bet ? guaranteed you will lose..

maybe you`re very weak and unorganized ..(no offense)
That's why I state a standard home garage scenario...
I'm including taking the extension cord out, taking the wrench out of the box, moving the cord over around the car moving the cord around the jack, putting everything away, etc.

Maybe with a bench racing mindset you'd be 30 seconds but i'm talking casual reality. Using manual tools i'm probably 15-20 seconds behind you taking off 5 lug nuts and putting them on you'd still have to use a torque wrench.
To be honest I use a cordless impact now. Smiling Face With Open Mouth My manual method is pretty quick. I break all the nuts, I jack up the entire front or rear and can just use only a socket to remove the nuts by spinning it.

You guys call me unorganized and a bad set up but maybe you guys don't put your tools away or have your set up ready for daily tire changes (shop set up).
Sr. Member
Oct 23, 2014
514 posts
395 upvotes
Laval, QC
Chewfam wrote: That's why I state a standard home garage scenario...
I'm including taking the extension cord out, taking the wrench out of the box, moving the cord over around the car moving the cord around the jack, putting everything away, etc.

Maybe with a bench racing mindset you'd be 30 seconds but i'm talking casual reality. Using manual tools i'm probably 15-20 seconds behind you taking off 5 lug nuts and putting them on you'd still have to use a torque wrench.
To be honest I use a cordless impact now. Smiling Face With Open Mouth My manual method is pretty quick. I break all the nuts, I jack up the entire front or rear and can just use only a socket to remove the nuts by spinning it.

You guys call me unorganized and a bad set up but maybe you guys don't put your tools away or have your set up ready for daily tire changes (shop set up).
i jack the entire front end and just remove and replace wheel and lug . No need to break anything loose. The longest part is threading the lug nuts by hand to avoid cross-threading. Once they`re on , its less than 5 second to do all 5. (removing is around same time)

best part is....im not going to be sweating or slightly fatigued. You will be..

i used to use a corded setup a few years ago and was doing it for 20 years , (changed to cordless which is even faster) its very quick. Even the cleanup.

If you are working in a tight space, i can understand that maybe it would be a little more tedious .
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1504 posts
1055 upvotes
I had a cordless impact wrench rated for 350 ft-lbs and that could not break the lug nuts loose, this one at 240 ft-lbs will definitely not.

Even for installing coilovers it was having trouble loosening majority of the bolts, would recommend 500 ft-lbs ones instead. Can't imagine using a corded one under the car either, last thing I need is to be tangled in one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 15, 2004
2571 posts
68 upvotes
GTA
Bought the 8.5A/350 ft-lbs one and wouldn't turn a single nut loose from all 4 wheels. Maybe they're useful only when lug nuts are already loose? Returned it the same day and bought a 24" breaker bar instead which is far more useful and just used cordless drill to quickly remove loose nuts.

Funny thing is the lady at the return counter chided me for using it before returning after telling her it's not working as it's supposed to. The thing and the box we'rent even dirty as I only brought the impact wrench to the garage and wiped it clean after using for only like 30 minutes Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Stuff for sale/trade/wtb
Computer Stuff
My Heatware
Ebay
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Nubee wrote: Bought the 8.5A/350 ft-lbs one and wouldn't turn a single nut loose from all 4 wheels. Maybe they're useful only when lug nuts are already loose? Returned it the same day and bought a 24" breaker bar instead which is far more useful and just used cordless drill to quickly remove loose nuts.

Funny thing is the lady at the return counter chided me for using it before returning after telling her it's not working as it's supposed to. The thing and the box we'rent even dirty as I only brought the impact wrench to the garage and wiped it clean after using for only like 30 minutes Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Thanks for your comment. I appreciate someone with a real hands on experience with the tool in question chiming in.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2320 posts
2355 upvotes
Ottawa
Not going to flex...

Have this impact wrench and it makes changing tires much easier and faster. I recommend it or something like it.
Newbie
Mar 28, 2017
60 posts
74 upvotes
Nubee wrote: Bought the 8.5A/350 ft-lbs one and wouldn't turn a single nut loose from all 4 wheels. Maybe they're useful only when lug nuts are already loose? Returned it the same day and bought a 24" breaker bar instead which is far more useful and just used cordless drill to quickly remove loose nuts.

Funny thing is the lady at the return counter chided me for using it before returning after telling her it's not working as it's supposed to. The thing and the box we'rent even dirty as I only brought the impact wrench to the garage and wiped it clean after using for only like 30 minutes Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I have the 150ft-lb version. I've been able to loosen most things except for one lug nut..once. The secret to these cheap things is to push in while using it and it works much better
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 15, 2004
2571 posts
68 upvotes
GTA
NotSamoaJoe wrote: I have the 150ft-lb version. I've been able to loosen most things except for one lug nut..once. The secret to these cheap things is to push in while using it and it works much better
I'm not sure if the power of these units can match the one used by the dealers' technicians. It takes an incredible amount of force to loosen the nuts when using the standard tools included in my car's roadside kit. I have to stand on the wrench and use my weight to loosen the lug nuts. I don't think they use torque wrench to tighten them unlike Costco's techs.
Stuff for sale/trade/wtb
Computer Stuff
My Heatware
Ebay
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 23, 2005
2521 posts
3367 upvotes
Toronto
Gangsta101 wrote: Thanks for your comment. I appreciate someone with a real hands on experience with the tool in question chiming in.
don't think you should listen to someone that can't bust nuts loose with a 350ftlb of torque... simply means it was done wrong or the car has not been maintained.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 15, 2004
2571 posts
68 upvotes
GTA
sonyminidiscman wrote: don't think you should listen to someone that can't bust nuts loose with a 350ftlb of torque... simply means it was done wrong or the car has not been maintained.
If you own/have the same wrench I mention, you can come over to my house and show me how to use it. For your information, since my car still has warranty it's always been taken to the dealership for any scheduled maintenance and is up to date so your insinuation is ludicrous.
Stuff for sale/trade/wtb
Computer Stuff
My Heatware
Ebay
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2942 posts
1632 upvotes
Nubee wrote: Bought the 8.5A/350 ft-lbs one and wouldn't turn a single nut loose from all 4 wheels. Maybe they're useful only when lug nuts are already loose? Returned it the same day and bought a 24" breaker bar instead which is far more useful and just used cordless drill to quickly remove loose nuts.

Funny thing is the lady at the return counter chided me for using it before returning after telling her it's not working as it's supposed to. The thing and the box we'rent even dirty as I only brought the impact wrench to the garage and wiped it clean after using for only like 30 minutes Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I had the 8.5A corded version and have never had trouble breaking a lug nut loose. Our vehicles require torque values ranging from 90 lb-ft to 150 lb-ft torque... are you sure you were fully depressed the trigger in the correct direction? For anyone not familiar with this tool, it has two triggers, one for each direction (as opposed to drill style with a single trigger and a separate direction control). Possibly you had a defective tool?

If you drive a huge truck that may be different (I've never used this for anything bigger than an F-150).
Gangsta101 wrote:
Thanks for your comment. I appreciate someone with a real hands on experience with the tool in question chiming in.
Despite Nubee's comments, we've had great luck with the 8.5A version... I suspect this 7.5A one would be fine too. I ended up buying a cordless Dewalt DCF889B (400 lb ft rating) a couple years ago to speed up setup time. A cheaper option would have been to install a 50' cord reel in my garage, but the DCF889B was too good of a price to pas up Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 15, 2004
2571 posts
68 upvotes
GTA
RubberCheese wrote: I had the 8.5A corded version and have never had trouble breaking a lug nut loose. Our vehicles require torque values ranging from 90 lb-ft to 150 lb-ft torque... are you sure you were fully depressed the trigger in the correct direction? For anyone not familiar with this tool, it has two triggers, one for each direction (as opposed to drill style with a single trigger and a separate direction control). Possibly you had a defective tool?

If you drive a huge truck that may be different (I've never used this for anything bigger than an F-150).



Despite Gangsta's comments, we've had great luck with the 8.5A version... I suspect this 7.5A one would be fine too. I ended up buying a cordless Dewalt DCF889B (400 lb ft rating) a couple years ago to speed up setup time.
I am not a mechanic and not pretending to know anything automotive, I have a 2015 Pathfinder and yes the trigger has been fully depressed, read the manual before using it. As I mentioned on my previous post, I don't think the dealer's mechanic use torque wrenches when tightening the lug nuts but even then that's 350 ft-lb rating so it should work unless the one I got was a lemon.
Stuff for sale/trade/wtb
Computer Stuff
My Heatware
Ebay
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 23, 2005
2521 posts
3367 upvotes
Toronto
Nubee wrote: If you own/have the same wrench I mention, you can come over to my house and show me how to use it. For your information, since my car still has warranty it's always been taken to the dealership for any scheduled maintenance and is up to date so your insinuation is ludicrous.
you either have a defective unit or dealership isn't doing it right when torquing up the wheels. if you have a torque wrench (you should because you are doing your own tire changes, if not, then we all know you are the one doing it wrong lol), torque one up to 150lbs... then use the wrench to loosen it. if it comes lose, the dealership has been doing it wrong. if it doesn't, you have a defective unit.

Top