Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Mastercraft 7.5A Impact Wrench - $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2022 8:51 am
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4564 posts
1580 upvotes
Mississauga
A cordless impact is convenient and you can reuse the battery for other tools.
A set can be paid for after doing 2 winter swaps(4 swaps) if it cost like $40-50 per swap + you don't need to haul the wheels in 4 trips + gas + time.
Evens out faster if you have 2+ cars to do.
Feb 10, 2013
255 posts
256 upvotes
Moncton
kiasu wrote: by the way, where do you see get 10$ CT Money back when spend $40? is it personal or for all?
It was in my offers, unsure if they're the same for everyone or not. It's not an automatic offer if that's what you're asking.
Dec 1, 2007
58 posts
4 upvotes
torwizard wrote: I returned it and got a 18V Ridgid one instead.
Curious as to which Ridgid unit you have? I bought a 20V Mastercraft one and it was a waste of money. It doesn't have enough torque and I have to loosen lugs with a breaker bar first.
Nov 10, 2003
916 posts
354 upvotes
jst3 wrote: Curious as to which Ridgid unit you have? I bought a 20V Mastercraft one and it was a waste of money. It doesn't have enough torque and I have to loosen lugs with a breaker bar first.
No time machine, but I'm pretty sure this is the Ridgid impact wrench most RFD'ers are referring to:

Ridgid Impact Wrench

Home Depot still has the mid-torque wrench available but I'd wait for a sale.

For reference, my lug nuts are torqued to 129 ft/lbs and the Ridgid broke them loose in seconds.
Jul 6, 2005
382 posts
169 upvotes
What is the warranty on this? I have one but the trigger stopped working a lot of the time?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2258 posts
2550 upvotes
Toronto
If you can afford to wait, then I would suggest moving up to the Canadian Tire 8.5A 350 ft/lbs impact wrench or even better the Canadian Tire Nutbuster 8.5A 400 ft/lbs models.

The CT 7.5A base model is 240 ft/lbs.

The CT 8.5A model is 350 ft /lbs.

The CT 8.5A Nutbuster is 400 ft/lbs.

It takes considerably more torque to remove a lug nut as opposed to putting one on. If you are doing smaller tires at 80 ft/lbs the base will likely work, however if you are requiring 100 ft/lbs then you would want the nutbuster at 400 ft/lbs.

I have used both of the 8.5A with 350 ft/lbs and the 8.5A with 400 ft/lbs and at 100 ft/lbs trust me you want/need the higher torque.

All of the units go on sale/ usually within a couple weeks of each other. More torque is better in this case, I returned the regular 8.5A 350 ft/lbs as it just didn't do the job. Again may be good at 80 or 90 ft/lbs.....but if you buy a tool get more torque as 100 ft/lbs are required on some vehicles and best to be covered for that possibility.

Pair it with a torque wrench to ensure you are within spec.

Do not advise torque sticks as they generally will not torque to the correct spec as they really require much higher air impact wrenches 600 ft/lbs or higher to work properly. I have torque sticks in my tool bank, dont use with my 120v impact wrenches as the results are not constant/accurate over multiple lugs.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2331 posts
573 upvotes
Xpdite wrote: What is the warranty on this? I have one but the trigger stopped working a lot of the time?
Take it back to CanTire. IIRC Doesn't Mastercraft have lifetime warranty?

I have an old corded Mastercraft one (cheapest model I think) that takes lugnuts off with no problem. Mine are at 100 ftlbs. Been working great for ages.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
2210 posts
2002 upvotes
Ontario
Xpdite wrote: What is the warranty on this? I have one but the trigger stopped working a lot of the time?
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: Take it back to CanTire. IIRC Doesn't Mastercraft have lifetime warranty?

I have an old corded Mastercraft one (cheapest model I think) that takes lugnuts off with no problem. Mine are at 100 ftlbs. Been working great for ages.
It depends on the product. The product page for this says three years.
Virgin Plus ($35/20GB for 15 months)
Jul 16, 2017
239 posts
257 upvotes
I had one of these Mastercraft impact wrenches. The motor burned out after a couple of years. Canadian tire wouldn't replace it, citing they did not have the exact same model available any longer. (Every year they seem to have a slightly different model, likely to reduce cost and perhaps also so they have an excuse not to replace your old one)

Like many others, I strongly recommend the Ridgid 18V instead.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2772 posts
1921 upvotes
London
wing0 wrote: A cordless impact is convenient and you can reuse the battery for other tools.
A set can be paid for after doing 2 winter swaps(4 swaps) if it cost like $40-50 per swap + you don't need to haul the wheels in 4 trips + gas + time.
Evens out faster if you have 2+ cars to do.
That is one way to look at the economics, if you are already paying a shop to do it.

The other though (and this was me) is that you are manually doing it for free already.
I'd rather pay $39 than >$100.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2772 posts
1921 upvotes
London
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: If you can afford to wait, then I would suggest moving up to the Canadian Tire 8.5A 350 ft/lbs impact wrench or even better the Canadian Tire Nutbuster 8.5A 400 ft/lbs models.

The CT 7.5A base model is 240 ft/lbs.

The CT 8.5A model is 350 ft /lbs.

The CT 8.5A Nutbuster is 400 ft/lbs.

It takes considerably more torque to remove a lug nut as opposed to putting one on. If you are doing smaller tires at 80 ft/lbs the base will likely work, however if you are requiring 100 ft/lbs then you would want the nutbuster at 400 ft/lbs.

I have used both of the 8.5A with 350 ft/lbs and the 8.5A with 400 ft/lbs and at 100 ft/lbs trust me you want/need the higher torque.

All of the units go on sale/ usually within a couple weeks of each other. More torque is better in this case, I returned the regular 8.5A 350 ft/lbs as it just didn't do the job. Again may be good at 80 or 90 ft/lbs.....but if you buy a tool get more torque as 100 ft/lbs are required on some vehicles and best to be covered for that possibility.

Pair it with a torque wrench to ensure you are within spec.

Do not advise torque sticks as they generally will not torque to the correct spec as they really require much higher air impact wrenches 600 ft/lbs or higher to work properly. I have torque sticks in my tool bank, dont use with my 120v impact wrenches as the results are not constant/accurate over multiple lugs.
There have been discussions (debates/arguments) here before on this tool.
I've used this one for about 10 years doing seasonal tire changes on multiple cars.
It works just fine.
I believe many RFDers would fit into this category and anything more is overkill.

However, as I've stated before, if you require something more heavy duty, then get it instead.
If you don't have easy power access, consider cordless.
If you are a pro, why are you even debating this this?

If you fit into the first category, then this is a good deal.