Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 31, 2009
133 posts
253 upvotes
town fmrly known as …

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft Aluminum Box 72" level - $39.99

Cheapest I found was a Kapro on amazon for 54 w/prime.

Reviewers are saying its a rebranded Empire made in the usa, which is quite good.
Anyway happy woth purchase.
Great for your framing, straight edge and doors.
Last edited by zac3ne2nr on Feb 16th, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
30 replies
Mar 12, 2012
439 posts
303 upvotes
Belleville
I bought that amazon one a while ago (needed it "now")

It hurts that I could have saved a few bucks :)
Feb 26, 2008
682 posts
621 upvotes
Surrey
I have an older version of it. Been good so far on a variety of jobs. Used it for numerous shelving installs and for some out door projects including fencing posts and ties.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16285 posts
6442 upvotes
I would be curious how they draw the conclusion it's a rebranded Empire model. The one I see at Home Depot has no visible similarities in the vial, end caps, etc.:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/empire ... 1000836113

I think I'm likely to pick this up as I have to head to CT anyways for something else, and it's one of those things that will come in handy when you need it but you won't always plan ahead to use it.
Nov 25, 2019
33 posts
26 upvotes
Montréal
Most of those reviews are 10 years old, if not more. I am not sure how relevant they still are...
Nov 28, 2009
549 posts
348 upvotes
Pickering
I'll be picking this up soon thanks OP. These never go on sale at Home Depot everytime I'm there I check.
Jan 20, 2011
995 posts
587 upvotes
Montreal-Ouest, QC
These randomly go on sale and they are rarely advertised . this one is great and it will do a good job but i decided to get the maximum which is almost indestructible. was 50$ for 5 feet when i bought it.
Paying full price for an item is a sin. :twisted:
Nov 20, 2017
256 posts
213 upvotes
Good price. I am going to pick one of these up. Thx OP

Full level set (24", 48" and 72") can be had for $65. Not bad ! Just thought I should mention the other sizes are on sale too
Last edited by Jordanferras on Feb 17th, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 17, 2016
172 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Just an FYI to check the 'levelness' of these CT levels before you buy one. I had a torpedo level and a 24" level (both mastercraft), both were messed up. When I flipped the level from one side to the other on the same surface, the bubble was not in the same position. I compared it to a different (better brand) level and a laser level, and both the CT ones were off. I was able to exchange the 24" one (lifetime warranty), but had to toss the torpedo one (I think it was out of warranty). I have since bought a better set of levels that are actually level.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3005 posts
939 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Another item we don't need that the marketers persuade us to buy. What's wrong with a 24" level pressed against a 72" straight edge (piece of lumber)--- if you need to span that wide?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2381 posts
1154 upvotes
Marzipan wrote: Another item we don't need that the marketers persuade us to buy. What's wrong with a 24" level pressed against a 72" straight edge (piece of lumber)--- if you need to span that wide?
Good luck with straight 72” lumber...
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3005 posts
939 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
djredhat wrote: Good luck with straight 72” lumber...
I agree. The tool is just a tiny bubble unit mounted to a 72" straight edge. just can't imagine why anyone other than a carpenter would need one. I built my house and when I needed to level over a longer span just reached for a strip of plywood (on edge) or lumber. But I suppose they look nice for furnishing a garage.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4411 posts
880 upvotes
Marzipan wrote: I agree. The tool is just a tiny bubble unit mounted to a 72" straight edge. just can't imagine why anyone other than a carpenter would need one. I built my house and when I needed to level over a longer span just reached for a strip of plywood (on edge) or lumber. But I suppose they look nice for furnishing a garage.
LOL

A strip of plywood with a level attached to it is one of the most amateur (cheapskate) moves I've heard of on this forum.

It's a $40, 6ft level. It's not exactly breaking the bank if you're undertaking any kind of reno (closet remodel, new door install, checking flooring, etc.)
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1160 posts
165 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
I've built many buildings and other projects with the help of my old 72" level from Princess Auto. I really can't conceive of doing all that without a long level, using a short(er) level for long spans is a really bad idea. (BTW, laser levels are great until you find yourself working outside in sunlight with an invisible laser beam.)

But it's been dropped and abused too much so I'm sure it's time for a replacement. By all means though, check the level for basic accuracy by seeing if it reads the same in both directions on the same surface - many cheap levels do not.
"The world has moved on."
Roland the Gunslinger
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3005 posts
939 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
RCGA wrote: LOL A strip of plywood with a level attached to it is one of the most amateur (cheapskate) moves I've heard of on this forum.

It's a $40, 6ft level. It's not exactly breaking the bank if you're undertaking any kind of reno (closet remodel, new door install, checking flooring, etc.)
Yes. That is amateurish. The level is not attached ( though my wording is ambiguous) - just resting on any straight edge. Practical tradespeople don't need specialized accurate tools. They know how to be within tolerance with basic tools. I've never yet seen a carpenter have a 72" level on the job. These are mainly for amateurs to furnish their workshops.