[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft Digital Caliper, 6-in - $14.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 11:20 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
28 posts
30 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft Digital Caliper, 6-in - $14.99

Been looking for a digital caliper for a while now. Spotted this in this week's flyer.
33 replies
Jun 20, 2020
108 posts
38 upvotes
I have the older version and it's lasted me 10 years. definitely worth it, even if you use it once a year
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4116 posts
165 upvotes
Tahsis
Thanks OP, been waiting to see these on sale for a while.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3908 posts
872 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Fyi these are very low quality. I bought last time it was on sale and returned it, it feels like there is sand in the slide and I had zero confidence in the measurements displayed. To me that defeats the purpose of a digital caliper. If you can afford it try to save up for a better quality one, maybe check Lee Valley if they have anything. This really is a case of you get what you pay for. Upvoted anyway for the effort.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20094 posts
4630 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Slawek wrote: Fyi these are very low quality. I bought last time it was on sale and returned it, it feels like there is sand in the slide and I had zero confidence in the measurements displayed. To me that defeats the purpose of a digital caliper. If you can afford it try to save up for a better quality one, maybe check Lee Valley if they have anything. This really is a case of you get what you pay for. Upvoted anyway for the effort.
Not going to disagree. I have a cheap Amazon Accusize caliper and it's good enough for my causal needs. If you are a serious user, you'll be spending a couple hundred dollars on a Mitutoyo.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Mar 13th, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- casual gastronomist -
Jun 4, 2004
772 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
dinklesprocket wrote: I have the older version and it's lasted me 10 years. definitely worth it, even if you use it once a year
Me too, mine is probably 20 years old by now. I remember the battery being expensive to replace back when it first went out, so check prices. Might not be an issue in the age of Amazon.
Jun 4, 2004
772 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
Slawek wrote: Fyi these are very low quality. I bought last time it was on sale and returned it, it feels like there is sand in the slide and I had zero confidence in the measurements displayed. To me that defeats the purpose of a digital caliper. If you can afford it try to save up for a better quality one, maybe check Lee Valley if they have anything. This really is a case of you get what you pay for. Upvoted anyway for the effort.
I guess they don't build them like they used to.
Oct 13, 2005
202 posts
82 upvotes
I have one of these too, and it's certainly not the worst quality ever. But it's definitely not a pro-level tool.

Although my slide is not silky smooth, it doesn't feel gritty or sticky. I checked the measurements it gives against various items that I knew the measurements of - the results were pretty accurate, maybe sometimes only out by hundredths of a mm. Not bad for this price point.

If you need it for occasional use - especially nothing mission critical - I'd say it's a fair buy at this sale price. The worst thing about it, IMO, is the weird button cell battery it uses.

**Caveat - mine is probably 7 or 8 years old now, so the quality may be different now.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19722 posts
5880 upvotes
I buy stuff like this and seldom use them. This device is still in it's case. Lots of screwdrivers (though I have used those on occasion), electronic range finders, electronics tools, etc. I used to say you never know when you will find a use for them but even having a house, I seldom do...

Wonder what's next?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2006
3574 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a way to use CT money when the stores only allow curbside
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2684 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
Rekognize wrote: Is there a way to use CT money when the stores only allow curbside
AFAIK they've suspended paper Canadian tire money entirely.

Out in BC we can still shop in store and they'll take your $20 bill but tell you to keep the 5 cent CT Money bill in your pocket because they could get covid. 🤷‍♂️
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10117 posts
2746 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Those drain the coin cell battery even when not in use, remove it between uses if you don't need it frequently
Sep 25, 2019
588 posts
1161 upvotes
This is good for the tool box.

We compare to expensive ones and it is very good.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2822 posts
4347 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What are u guys measuring with these that a measuring tape or ruler can't?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10117 posts
2746 upvotes
Montreal, QC
stovetop wrote: What are u guys measuring with these that a measuring tape or ruler can't?
Outside Diameter of something, eg bolt, bike seat post, or inner diameter of something like the size of an opening.
Stuff like that
Sep 25, 2019
588 posts
1161 upvotes
stovetop wrote: What are u guys measuring with these that a measuring tape or ruler can't?
In side of hole.

Screw size.

Machine screw size.

How deep hole.

How thick.
Nov 18, 2008
741 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
I have the older version, I thought it was pretty good quality. I think I had it for about 10 years or even more.

I use it mainly to measure screw size.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4853 posts
1395 upvotes
Will this measure in inch fractions?

3/4", 2 1/8", etc.?

35/128 isn't really that helpful to me
Let's hug it out
Dec 28, 2010
95 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been waiting for this to go on sale ... but I don't see the sale price online, and I can't see it in the flyer. Am I blind, stupid, or both?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1375 posts
1504 upvotes
swansong wrote: I've been waiting for this to go on sale ... but I don't see the sale price online, and I can't see it in the flyer. Am I blind, stupid, or both?
You’re right I can’t find it in toronto flyer either or online. It’s Friday so new flyers start Thursday too. Hmm