• Jul 17th, 2020 6:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1715 posts
680 upvotes
The Capital

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft Drill/Drive Bit Set, 104-pc - $24.49

With all of these power tool threads, I had to get in on the action... BUT, i now needed drill & driver bits.

Poked around on Amazon, Princess Auto and HD (looking at the OOS Ryobi kits - which were more than this and smaller)
I decided to look on CT just because, I found the best deal of all.
It's the largest (useful) kit you can get on the market and its cheaper than the equivalent clearance Ryobi driver/drill bit kit in store.

24.49$ down from 69.99$ of inflated CT pricing :)
Last edited by mmagda on Jul 15th, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
38 replies
Nov 7, 2017
414 posts
1009 upvotes
Thanks op, was going to pick up the $25 ryobi one for my new ryobi set. This seems much better.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1186 posts
817 upvotes
Edmonton
I have a similar kit from 15 years ago from CT. It's come in handy a few times but all the bits in there are pretty basic quality. I wouldn't expect much more than one hole out of the bits if drilling a hard surface. So in a pinch is a good fall back onto kit but realistically, if you're going to be drilling through your joists to finish your basement as an example, these spade bits aren't what you want. You can probably say the same thing for everything in this kit for their own respective use.
Previous wins:
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS
Jan 2, 2020
121 posts
239 upvotes
Great find OP. This products says " carbon steel" and also "titanium nitride coated". Are all the titanium drill bits are actually made of carbon steel and then coated with titanium or some are made of full titanium? Why home depot titanium is so expensive then?
Capture.PNG
[url=https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1001168748] Milwaukee Tool SHOCKWAVE IMPACT DUTY Titanium Drill Bit Set (23-Piece)
Jul 11, 2020
9 posts
3 upvotes
Does anyone know what size the hole saws are?
Sep 18, 2016
226 posts
291 upvotes
Redgugu wrote: Great find OP. This products says " carbon steel" and also "titanium nitride coated". Are all the titanium drill bits are actually made of carbon steel and then coated with titanium or some are made of full titanium? Why home depot titanium is so expensive then?Capture.PNG[url=https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1001168748] Milwaukee Tool SHOCKWAVE IMPACT DUTY Titanium Drill Bit Set (23-Piece)
Carbon steel with a titanium nitride coating. Titanium nitride is a refractory compound with high microhardness and chemical and thermal stability, basically used to increase wear resistance.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1186 posts
817 upvotes
Edmonton
XinZ56007 wrote: Does anyone know what size the hole saws are?
4pc hole saws: 1-1/4’’, 1-1/2’’, 1-3/4’’, 2-1/8’’.
Previous wins:
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1715 posts
680 upvotes
The Capital
XinZ56007 wrote: Does anyone know what size the hole saws are?
I just looked, it goes up to 2 1/8" (54mm)

I didn't check all the smaller ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1715 posts
680 upvotes
The Capital
Redgugu wrote: Great find OP. This products says " carbon steel" and also "titanium nitride coated". Are all the titanium drill bits are actually made of carbon steel and then coated with titanium or some are made of full titanium? Why home depot titanium is so expensive then?
Some are made of titanium, yes.

The HD link:
You're paying for the Milwaukee name.
You're paying for drill bits that are milled onto a driver bit (basic drill bits are circular throughout)
It's going to be much higher quality.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1715 posts
680 upvotes
The Capital
wilbrod wrote: I have a similar kit from 15 years ago from CT. It's come in handy a few times but all the bits in there are pretty basic quality. I wouldn't expect much more than one hole out of the bits if drilling a hard surface. So in a pinch is a good fall back onto kit but realistically, if you're going to be drilling through your joists to finish your basement as an example, these spade bits aren't what you want. You can probably say the same thing for everything in this kit for their own respective use.
I don't question quality on cheap stuff like this, if it lasts me a few years until I blow up the drill bits - I'll be fine with it.
I don't use them daily, but I have had many "cheap" sets at my folks place that we've used on extensive home renovations. (like an entire house reno with "cheap stuff", and it held up okay)

Most on RFD won't abuse them enough to worry, like its going to break when you build one birdhouse... lol
Jan 2, 2020
121 posts
239 upvotes
mmagda wrote: I just looked, it goes up to 2 1/8" (54mm)

I didn't check all the smaller ones.
Have been looking for a Hole Saw Kit, with little better quality may be bi-metal with 2" and 3" but no luck. Looks like have to buy 2" and 3" separately which will add up to the price. The Hydroponic net pods come exactly 2" or 3". So, if larger hole saw, pods will not stay.
Dec 2, 2009
578 posts
836 upvotes
I've never bought any Mastercraft bits,drivers,screwdrivers that didn't feel like they were damn near made of plastic.

I'd spend the extra $ and go with a better brand.
Mar 7, 2011
86 posts
15 upvotes
For the experts, is this set impact ready? Is it OK to use it with an impact driver without issues??
I read in the forum previously that not all bits were good for an impact driver.

Thanks
Oct 25, 2008
425 posts
278 upvotes
I own this set

for the price it is OK, I paid the same price for this 5 years ago I think. I would rank the drill bits better than some total trash that I had (Black & Decker) that started to bend when I used it (!!!??!?) but I also tried some Bosch and Dewalt bits and you can feel those are definitely better.

I haven't tried it in an impact driver but I am not super confident and would not want to try it for myself..
May 27, 2008
452 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Fwiw: The Can Tire bits I've used over the years you gotta pay attention to them as they can go dull before you even get much done with them. That being said, they are the majority of the bits that I do own as you can get such a wide variety for cheap.
Oct 19, 2004
914 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
gorocket1981 wrote: For the experts, is this set impact ready? Is it OK to use it with an impact driver without issues??
I read in the forum previously that not all bits were good for an impact driver.
Thanks
These are not impact bits, just regular bits for use with a drill driver, not impact driver. As mentioned, these are trash quality regardless. Stick with Milwaukee Shockwave for drive bits and Bosch for drill and spade bits.
Jun 20, 2010
153 posts
165 upvotes
Kitchener
i was looking at this set as well. Wondering if it can be used for masonry - going through brick/mortar