• Mar 22nd, 2018 1:50 am
26 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1709 posts
704 upvotes
Abbotsford
Actually - there are some pretty negative reviews on the CT site for these. Looks like they may have cheaped out on some of the parts for these recently
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1035 posts
1532 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
oakjefferson wrote: Actually - there are some pretty negative reviews on the CT site for these. Looks like they may have cheaped out on some of the parts for these recently
Did you sort the reviews by "Date - Newest First"? Looks like most of the reviews in the past two years are positive.

I've had a set of these for about 10 years, and agree with the overall sentiment in the reviews.
1. Will definitely hold 300lbs
2. Not very sturdy if you put some side load on them (they tend to tip over)
3. Compact & portable
4. Excellent deal for $15, even better at under $10

You just need to know what to expect, then you won't be disappointed when they fail something they aren't designed to do.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3659 posts
799 upvotes
Why can’t cdn tire just but realistic prices and sale prices
Dec 31, 2007
135 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
For what they are they work well. Bought 2 when it was $10 earlier this year for an exterior reno pretty damn sturdy.
Nov 25, 2002
701 posts
178 upvotes
Kelowna
I've owned these for a couple of years now. They'll hold a lot of weight to be sure. I like the height of them also. The thin foam surface is a nice feature as well, for grip and for not marking up what you're working on . Maybe their best feature is how compact they are when they're folded up. If it's something you need then picking up a couple for 13$ a piece is a good price.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1089 posts
1129 upvotes
Quebec
Bought 2 of those 3 years ago at 10$/each. They work great and are pretty compact. À good purchase around 10-13$. Just never pay full price for them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5450 posts
4729 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
These are definitely worth it at this price. I use mine all the time. Thanks op.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12100 posts
3423 upvotes
I have had 4 of these for years now... A, if you ever have paid $65, you're a fool. They are great quality, and sturdy, but no where near that price, plus knowing that they constantly go on sale for $12 or less. B. as earlier stated, Canadian Tire constantly puts these on sale during their birthday day, or Dollar days, for $12 or less.

Great product, I set them up with an old hollow core flat closet door as a workstation when painting trim, etc... doesn't matter that paint gets on the old door.
Last edited by jackass_ca on Nov 19th, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11680 posts
5687 upvotes
Ill give these a try i needed new ones
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4054 posts
3097 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
These are possibly the worst "sawhorse" ever.
I use quotes around sawhorse because if you actually try and saw anything that's lain upon them, they will collapse in a heap. You might be able to paint some light weight trim or quarter round on them, but don't swipe back and forth with the brush too rigorously, as the "sawhorse" will collapse in a heap.
If Dollarama sold these, I could understand. That's how good these things are.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3136 posts
1835 upvotes
Like others I have had these for years. Fantastic to set up a quick table for doing plaster or painting.

Understand the physics of their legs and you will be fine.

I may get 2 more. One my old ones someone closed wrong and bent the collapsing bars. Still works but makes me nervous sometimes.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12100 posts
3423 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: These are possibly the worst "sawhorse" ever.
I use quotes around sawhorse because if you actually try and saw anything that's lain upon them, they will collapse in a heap. You might be able to paint some light weight trim or quarter round on them, but don't swipe back and forth with the brush too rigorously, as the "sawhorse" will collapse in a heap.
Not sure if you are not locking your legs, but mine have never collapsed, or overturned. The stance on the legs is wide enough to be solid enough to not over turn with the door or plywood on top. I have the horses spaced out under the door, but once the door is on there, I can move stuff around, cut items, place heavy items on top etc. I wouldn't they should be called Sawhorses either but that is what the term is. The old school style of the triangular legs with a brace in the middle made of lumber, are similar and called work or sawhorses.

If you want extra stability, there are holes in the beam that you can place bolts through to secure your top down and make this one solid unit while in use.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Oct 3, 2016
42 posts
20 upvotes
Buy 2, they latch together into a case. Pain in the cutter to open, close, and latch together or apart, but for the price and footprint decent enough at an ok price. Not worth more than $14 though.
Oct 31, 2014
463 posts
412 upvotes
Victoria, BC
MrFrugal1 wrote: These are possibly the worst "sawhorse" ever.
Are you sure you had them set up properly?

I used mine to cut up a huge fir slab on the weekend and they worked great, even on uneven lawn. (this was an 8+" thick x 36" wide 6.5ft long solid slab of wood, so roughly 325 lbs) Circular saw cuts on both sides and then hand sawed the rest of the way through.

No issues whatsoever. I'd call em a good purchase.
Sep 17, 2016
237 posts
223 upvotes
KW
Smittybit wrote: Buy 2, they latch together into a case. Pain in the cutter to open, close, and latch together or apart, but for the price and footprint decent enough at an ok price. Not worth more than $14 though.
Really? I have two but I've never done that.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1778 posts
2617 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Owned these for about 3 years now and like everyone else, they do the job fine.

Think I got them at $9.99 back then, funny to see them trying to squeeze an extra $4 out of people this many years later.

Overall, good product though!
Oct 3, 2016
42 posts
20 upvotes
Marklxndr wrote: Really? I have two but I've never done that.
It's a pain, but if you see those bent rod hanger looking things at one of each horses end, they snap over the matching bar on the other horse when faced together. I have to give a good pound to snap mine together, but they do in the end.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2462 posts
1428 upvotes
Edmonton
Picked up 3 when they were $10 a pop. Good quality, reasonably stable - a great deal then, good deal now
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....