Mastercraft Metal Sawhorse , 17,99$

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 11:52 pm
17 replies
Feb 13, 2020
64 posts
30 upvotes
Johndaly wrote: These sometimes appear for under $10
I can attest. Have had these for years, paid $9.99. Bought another set last year for my uncle; same price. CT reg price exaggeration again.
They have performed well; no complaints.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1462 posts
1219 upvotes
Durham Region
$65 regular lol wonder if they ever sold any at regular price? This is one of the revolving flyer items every couple weeks, except sale price slowly crept up last couple years.

I got 2 when they were 9.99 couple years ago. No complaints at that price
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7517 posts
8084 upvotes
Vancouver
I got 2 for $9.99 each. They're fine. Two of them lock together for easy storage.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal
aren't the plastic ones like this better?

unexperienced DIY here
106505290_3505364249478532_702310606602958616_n.jpg
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Dec 12, 2009
449 posts
322 upvotes
also have 2 of them that i bought for $10 probably > 10 yrs ago. they are sturdy but not very stable because base not wide enough. when i drag a piece of wood between 2 of them, one will tip over.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3604 posts
3857 upvotes
Montreal, QC
starbuckscoffee wrote: also have 2 of them that i bought for $10 probably > 10 yrs ago. they are sturdy but not very stable because base not wide enough. when i drag a piece of wood between 2 of them, one will tip over.
I bought a pair many moons ago at just under $10 each. Really like the space saving feature of being able to hook a pair together and then hang on a wall.
Very nice and actually surprisingly solid when used on a level surface. Keep in mind that there are 2 locking mechanisms to spread the legs. One which spreads them open (Blue arrow in pic below) when you pull them out for the main body, and one to spread and lock the legs on the same side (Red arrow on pic below). When I used to be in a rush, I used to forget to lock the second one (red arrow) and they were flimsy. Also when going to use them for a long time, I have a piece of plywood I put on top of them, and hold them in place with carriage bolts and wingnuts (though the holes on the ends).

They may have made the flimsier over the years, but once mine are locked open, they are pretty stable.

sawhorse.jpg

I used to use saw horse brackets with 2x4 before that, and these are a lot easier to deal with.
Jun 27, 2020
95 posts
75 upvotes
Kingston
In my opinion, it's really about preference and what you use them for. Both achieve their purpose, and if you already have a set, no need for the other type unless you have a specific requirement.

I have 6 (or so) of the plastic ones, and I use them for temporary workspace. I keep them in the shed, as they take a bit of space. I'm not worried about leaving them outside for a few days when I'm working on my deck or fence. I screw 2x4 right in the plastic to make a bench. The ones I have have an extra notch on the yellow part as well. I find those work better for outside, in the grass and such, when the ground isn't 100% levelled.

The metal ones, I have 2, keep them in the garage as they pack so small. They would fit in the back of any car. I use them as table extension for the table saw and miter saw; but they're also the one I carry around if I need to go somewhere else. They're not as flimsy as they look ! (as long as they're on a flat surface) However I've only used them to cut stuff; and not for temporary work surface, but I would not hesitate if I had to, as they are rated for 300lbs. Due to being metal, I don't leave them outside.
Nov 2, 2018
70 posts
58 upvotes
For DIYers, might be a good idea to make a folding wooden sawhorse yourself.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1135 posts
810 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
These are great, was using a pair yesterday to build a new kayak rack. I also picked up one of the large plastic worktable/sawhorses that were on sale a couple of weeks ago, much sturdier and has the ability to gang together, but, it was $100 on sale and it takes as much room to store as probably 8 of these, so not entirely comparable.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7517 posts
8084 upvotes
Vancouver
danmartin471 wrote: aren't the plastic ones like this better?

unexperienced DIY here
Nothing plastic is good when it comes to tools or furniture. Temporary light-duty use only, and a problem for you and for the environment when you have to dispose of it after it breaks.

As for building your own out of 2x4s, the issue is that it doesn't fold down compactly for storage, and it's too much of a hassle to dismantle it and reassemble it.

As for these metal ones, they are heavier than plastic, just as heavy as wood, the folding legs don't make a wide enough base for stability, the narrow feet sink in to soft surfaces, and there's no height adjustment.

So none of the solutions are ideal. :)
Jan 24, 2009
538 posts
166 upvotes
Regina
I bought 6 last year @ $14.99 when renovating my house. They came in handy and fold up nice for storage.
Dec 19, 2010
716 posts
236 upvotes
I bought a set a few years ago when I could resist $10 to have a few more sawhorses around.

I rarely touch them as they are a (relative) pain to setup, are too narrow, and sink into the grass when I use them outside. They do fold up compactly, but I find the plastic style easy enough to store anyway because of their flat form-factor.

My favorite are a set fold of homemade ones that flat like the cheap plastic ones, but are constructed of 3/4 ply, a few simple hinges and light chain to limit the spread of the legs.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3169 posts
1751 upvotes
DirtyDog wrote: I bought a set a few years ago when I could resist $10 to have a few more sawhorses around.

I rarely touch them as they are a (relative) pain to setup, are too narrow, and sink into the grass when I use them outside. They do fold up compactly, but I find the plastic style easy enough to store anyway because of their flat form-factor.

My favorite are a set fold of homemade ones that flat like the cheap plastic ones, but are constructed of 3/4 ply, a few simple hinges and light chain to limit the spread of the legs.
This is my favourite but pricey and not really a horse:
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet