Expired Hot Deals

Canadian Tire

Mastercraft Socket Set, 350-pc $199.99 (70% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2021 8:48 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2021
19 posts
53 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft Socket Set, 350-pc $199.99 (70% off)

Saw this in store yesterday, it's also available online.
PXL_20210731_220354559.jpg
PXL_20210731_220359990.jpg
PXL_20210731_220403441.jpg
At $699 this would be crazy expensive so it's perhaps not as great a deal as the 70% makes it sound but if you want to build your tools collection then $199 seems like a fair price to me.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5444 posts
2880 upvotes
West Vancouver
soupmaster666 wrote: That's regular price
bu... bu... but... but... It says 71% OFF....
Aug 21, 2010
993 posts
395 upvotes
toronto
here we go again...please dont be one of those suckers that fall for that Canadian Tire 70 percent Off Crap...im sure there feeding off all the new people looking to get into the DYI projects
Oct 2, 2018
962 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
Nice for posting, reality Canadian Tire up to their nonsense as usual. $200 is more like normal price there, the super inflated regular price is just to make the sale price seem to good to be true.

No one ever would pay their inflated regular price on these sets, many do buy at the 70% off as that is normal there.

Thanks for posting however, think $150 might be more in line for this one perhaps closer to Christmas it may go on sale for that.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5444 posts
2880 upvotes
West Vancouver
your best bet wrote: here we go again...please dont be one of those suckers that fall for that Canadian Tire 70 percent Off Crap...im sure there feeding off all the new people looking to get into the DYI projects
70% off is 70% off man.

What are you talking about ???
Jan 24, 2016
92 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
How is this legal? I don’t understand how CT gets away with regularly having these items in clearance.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4425 posts
3076 upvotes
markthomas594 wrote: How is this legal? I don’t understand how CT gets away with regularly having these items in clearance.
It's not a clearance price, it's a sale price.
Jan 24, 2016
92 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
SizzleChest wrote: It's not a clearance price, it's a sale price.
I’m not going to pretend to be an expert in this area, but I was under the impression that the “sale” price can’t be the “regular” price. These sets are ALWAYS on sale. There’s no way they sell most of them at regular price. Doesn’t that make it illegal?

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic ... html#sec01
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4425 posts
3076 upvotes
markthomas594 wrote: I’m not going to pretend to be an expert in this area, but I was under the impression that the “sale” price can’t be the “regular” price. These sets are ALWAYS on sale. There’s no way they sell most of them at regular price. Doesn’t that make it illegal?

When people say that $200 is the regular price, they mean that no one in their right mind would pay CT's regular price of $700. I don't think any particular set is on sale more than a few times per year, but they rotate which set goes 70% off on a weekly basis. It definitely is a deceptive sales tactic and I'm no expert either, but I don't know why it would be illegal in a capitalistic system.
Jun 12, 2018
339 posts
264 upvotes
Ontario
Lol $700 for a MC socket set. I guarantee no one has bought it at that price. You'd sell a lot more just listing it at $200 reg price
Dec 1, 2020
26 posts
66 upvotes
Canadian Tire has worst pricing of all. I don't know why govt doesn't take any action against them, they have most misleading pricing I have ever seen. Amt of money they spend printing their 500 page flyer can be better used to give some actual discount.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4425 posts
3076 upvotes
stevo88 wrote: You'd sell a lot more just listing it at $200 reg price
Maybe, but probably not. JC Penny tried eliminating sales and having competitive 24/7 pricing. It failed miserably. Google "Ron Johnston JC Penny" for more info.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1085 posts
1698 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
- It's not really 70% off (it was "70% off" in April according to stocktrack, so this goes on "sale" every 4 months)

- 1/3 of the 350 pieces are screwdriver bits and allen keys

- It's 4 separate trays, impractical unless you have a rolling tool box. A homeowner or occasional DIYer is better off with a set that comes in a plastic molded case.

Sorry OP gonna have to downvote you, nothing personal.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17025 posts
7360 upvotes
markthomas594 wrote: I’m not going to pretend to be an expert in this area, but I was under the impression that the “sale” price can’t be the “regular” price. These sets are ALWAYS on sale. There’s no way they sell most of them at regular price. Doesn’t that make it illegal?

There is a tool someone on RFD built called "Stocktrack". Here is a link to the item within it:
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=ct&q=0582028

You can hover over the price to see the price history.

With my local store I see this set has been $700 from April until now. Therefore showing the regular price is indeed $700 and that is the price most of the time. See below:
PriceHistory.png

People likely get confused because Canadian Tire has many, many different types of socket sets which may have subtle differences. It seems like every week there is one for sale in the flyer, and rather than pay attention to it people simply make the comment that it is always on sale (which isn't the case).

But what is accurate is that if you find one you like and are willing to wait for a sale, it will likely come on sale within a year (as seen by this one sometimes it does take several months).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5002 posts
411 upvotes
stevo88 wrote: Lol $700 for a MC socket set. I guarantee no one has bought it at that price. You'd sell a lot more just listing it at $200 reg price
You think so? Then why don't they?
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?