Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM 1/2-in Drive Breaker Bar, 17-in $11.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 6:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Nov 12, 2017
316 posts
417 upvotes
Cambridge

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM 1/2-in Drive Breaker Bar, 17-in $11.99

I was in because I broke my 3/8 in ratchet so I got a replacement. Maximum and Mastercraft warranty was painless!

Anyway, while I was there, I noticed a sale on breaker bars.

The 24in with grip is also on sale at $24.99
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 4th, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3895 posts
6276 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please :)
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 64GB RAM
Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2008
2259 posts
1342 upvotes
GTA
To get good leverage; you would be better off with the 24" or longer. That goes on sale very often as well at CT. I bought the 24" for like $15 (when it went on sale).
Last edited by DragOnT on Nov 4th, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Member
User avatar
Sep 18, 2019
207 posts
280 upvotes
good find

the normal price for 24" time to time on sale to $15
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
861 posts
1292 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Good deal, going to pick this up. AFAIK this is a new item, CT used to stock a 10 inch "breaker bar" instead, but it was pretty useless as most 1/2 ratchets are already 10 inches. This 17 should be a good balance for between a 10 inch ratchet and the 24 inch breaker bar.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2905 posts
4582 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Get the 24" one...you wont regret it. I bought mine when it was $9.99 I think.

You'd be surprised how a few inches more makes all the difference.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2004
1439 posts
206 upvotes
stovetop wrote: Get the 24" one...you wont regret it. I bought mine when it was $9.99 I think.

You'd be surprised how a few inches more makes all the difference.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Thats what she said.
Sr. Member
Jan 15, 2016
592 posts
601 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
stovetop wrote: Get the 24" one...you wont regret it. I bought mine when it was $9.99 I think.

You'd be surprised how a few inches more makes all the difference.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
That was last year's bf price as well which is when i got mine.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4297 posts
2846 upvotes
DragOnT wrote: To get good leverage; you would be better off with the 24" or longer. That goes on sale very often as well at CT. I bought the 24" for like $15 (when it went on sale).
Sure, a longer bar = more force being applied with less effort, but sometimes you don't need that much leverage and it can actually be beneficial to have a shorter bar. When I check the fluid level on my differential, my 18" breaker bar is better because I can almost swing it a full 360 degrees without contacting anything. Definitely not the case if I were to use the 24" breaker. If I only had one breaker bar, it would be the 24" but I am very happy to have an 18" as well.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2007
185 posts
201 upvotes
I still use an X tire iron, are breaker bars a lot better?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4297 posts
2846 upvotes
supe wrote: I still use an X tire iron, are breaker bars a lot better?
Are you just using it for changing tires? A breaker will likely have a longer arm which means more leverage which means less force required from you. You can also turn it further before you have to remove it and readjust on the fastener because the tire iron has multiple arms which will contact either the ground or something else (some tire irons do have collapsible arms). The downside to the breaker bar is that you will also need to purchase appropriate sockets and possibly an extension bar.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4075 posts
319 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: Are you just using it for changing tires? A breaker will likely have a longer arm which means more leverage which means less force required from you. You can also turn it further before you have to remove it and readjust on the fastener because the tire iron has multiple arms which will contact either the ground or something else (some tire irons do have collapsible arms). The downside to the breaker bar is that you will also need to purchase appropriate sockets and possibly an extension bar.
I use both. I use the breaker bar to get the nut started since it's capable of greater torque for the same effort and generally when i'm ready to change over, the bolts could be a bit rusted so harder to get started.

Then I use the X iron to take the bolts off the rest of the way because I can spin it much faster than using the breaker bar as it can spin without hitting the ground. Chances are if a shop messed with your wheels, you'll need a breaker bar to get it started as many places will use an airgun to tighten the nuts and they'll be way overtightened.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4297 posts
2846 upvotes
From November 10-22, Princess Auto has four Pro Point breaker bars on sale for up to 55% off ranging from $14.99 to $64.99. It doesn't list specific prices, but the smallest bar is 1/2" drive by 18" so pretty safe to say that is the one for $15. I have it and find myself as often, if not more than my 24" Maximum bar from CT.

Top