Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM Fixed/Plunge Router $99.93 (maybe YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 3:36 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2017
41 posts
56 upvotes
Regina

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM Fixed/Plunge Router $99.93 (maybe YMMV)

maximum fixed/plunge router
Good sale price. Maybe YMMV.
Onself tag says $273 but they honoured the sale price that is online.
Images
  • EDCD089A-7C5D-4056-82FD-834D040A1A4F.jpeg
Thread Summary
39 replies
May 10, 2016
257 posts
292 upvotes
It's on clearance and shows at $169.99 for me. So yes, YMMV.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3761 posts
4417 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
I bought this on sale for $99.99 last year.
I kinda wish I had spent double the money on a DeWalt or similar.
The machine is fine, but the crappy template bushing is unique to this router and they don't provide any plate to use anyone else's bushings. I'm going to have to make a new plate out of Lexan. Also, the single bushing they do give, is not centered on the collet, so it's essentially useless.
Dec 25, 2007
15 posts
2 upvotes
Good to know, Im diving into the can of worms that woodworking looks to be and considering my first router I will aim for a higher quality router set.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3263 posts
3445 upvotes
raskal wrote: I bought this on sale for $99.99 last year.
The machine is fine, but the crappy template bushing is unique to this router and they don't provide any plate to use anyone else's bushings. I'm going to have to make a new plate out of Lexan. Also, the single bushing they do give, is not centered on the collet, so it's essentially useless.
I am looking for a router. Was so close to ordering until I read ur post. Turn off.
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2017
41 posts
56 upvotes
Regina
raskal wrote: I bought this on sale for $99.99 last year.
Thanks for the info. I did some research and conclude that I am going to change the baseplate to a universal one so that I can fit additional bushings and adapters. The baseplate is like $20 - $30.
I checked the bushing that came with the router and mine is well centred.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3761 posts
4417 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
Mohsinahmad wrote: The baseplate is like $20 - $30.
which one did you find?
Nov 30, 2008
213 posts
177 upvotes
Oro-Medonte
Just to offer an alternative view, I guess I would qualify as a fairly serious/long term woodworker and of the 7 routers I have, 3 are this model (each picked up for about $100). I have one permanently set up in a home made router table, another dedicated to a slab flattening sled. I'm pretty sure I have used the Kempston Brass Bushing set (https://www.amazon.ca/Kempston-99000-So ... B001A0YCOY) with this router, but it is possible I switched out the plate.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this at $100. I have three DeWalts and a Bosch and the Maximum's are by far the best value. I would not recommend them for edge work, but then that goes for any large router and I don't find the plunge base to be particularly good, but it's certainly not unusable. For someone starting out in woodworking I would say this model plus the Bosch or DeWalt "palm" router would be more than capable of most tasks and if/when you finally want to upgrade then the round body makes this a perfect form factor to build into home made machines.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44368 posts
4946 upvotes
Richmond Hill
solarfish wrote: Just to offer an alternative view, I guess I would qualify as a fairly serious/long term woodworker and of the 7 routers I have, 3 are this model (each picked up for about $100). I have one permanently set up in a home made router table, another dedicated to a slab flattening sled. I'm pretty sure I have used the Kempston Brass Bushing set (https://www.amazon.ca/Kempston-99000-So ... B001A0YCOY) with this router, but it is possible I switched out the plate.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this at $100. I have three DeWalts and a Bosch and the Maximum's are by far the best value. I would not recommend them for edge work, but then that goes for any large router and I don't find the plunge base to be particularly good, but it's certainly not unusable. For someone starting out in woodworking I would say this model plus the Bosch or DeWalt "palm" router would be more than capable of most tasks and if/when you finally want to upgrade then the round body makes this a perfect form factor to build into home made machines.
I have the same set up and can vouch for this. I started with the Maximum and then got the Colt. Now I find myself using the Colt much more often and my Maximum is permanently in the router table.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Sep 27, 2009
388 posts
55 upvotes
Still a few left at the st Thomas Canadian Tire at this price
Jun 20, 2009
138 posts
124 upvotes
edmonton
Are there any good deals on router bits?