Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM Fixed/Plunge Router $99.93 (maybe YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 3:36 pm
Nov 26, 2003
79 posts
27 upvotes
Markham
solarfish wrote: I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this at $100. I have three DeWalts and a Bosch and the Maximum's are by far the best value. I would not recommend them for edge work, but then that goes for any large router and I don't find the plunge base to be particularly good, but it's certainly not unusable. For someone starting out in woodworking I would say this model plus the Bosch or DeWalt "palm" router would be more than capable of most tasks and if/when you finally want to upgrade then the round body makes this a perfect form factor to build into home made machines.
I agree with this post on many levels. The Dewalt palm routers (611) are awesome...actually my favourite routers but they are a bit small for certain tasks. The CT router represents an excellent value iMO and I'm tempted to buy another one to add to my collection.
Nov 26, 2003
79 posts
27 upvotes
Markham
raskal wrote: I bought this on sale for $99.99 last year.
I kinda wish I had spent double the money on a DeWalt or similar.
The machine is fine, but the crappy template bushing is unique to this router and they don't provide any plate to use anyone else's bushings. I'm going to have to make a new plate out of Lexan. Also, the single bushing they do give, is not centered on the collet, so it's essentially useless.
To be fair, I wouldn't trust that the collet is centred on *any* router baseplate. The base plate on my CT router at least uses pan head screws to allow for a bit of adjustment so that you can centre the bushing properly with a centering cone. Again, i do this for all the routers.

In terms of guide bushing compatibility, it's a trade-off. The PC guide bushings are have a 1-3/16 bore so if you plan on using any router bit bigger than this, you'll have to remove the baseplate. Of course, for larger bits, you should be using it in a router table anyway. Also, other brand routers don't necessarily guarantee PC-style compatibility either. Some Bosch routers require adapters and I believe my Milwaukee base plate also has a huge opening that is 2.5" so there's not much hope for using guide bushings but that router is dedicated to the table anyway.
Last edited by Charlton on Aug 12th, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2799 posts
1133 upvotes
Kingston
Got one, thanks OP. From what I read this will also remove small amounts of material from the bottom of doors too with the right bit? I also need to round off the edges of a countertop so I figured rather than buy an electric planer and a router this might do both jobs at a pinch.
Apr 6, 2003
401 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
Thank you. Picked one up yesterday. I think it is a great value for an amateur like me.
Jan 27, 2005
74 posts
5 upvotes
Saskatoon
Looks like they are clearing these out for a new model.

new model
Mastercraft

Looks like it's based on this Skil router:
Skil
May 24, 2007
543 posts
559 upvotes
Kelowna
Just ordered one for pickup at $99 via the MasterPass deal with a few small things bringing it to $125. Figure this drops it closer to $75 since I needed the other stuff anyway. Have been borrowing my buddies Maximum router on and off for over a year and his does what I need it to. Will now finally look into building a router table for myself.

Built these Yardzee Dice a few weeks ago and a table would have made doing the edges so much faster...
Jun 14, 2011
484 posts
494 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got this and am already lost reading the manual lol. Is there a good site that I can learn how to use this, and what kind of bits would i be needing??
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3761 posts
4417 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
login wrote: I have this model and I've been using https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002E4VC1G/ref ... 8yoBh8T8I1 to have proper standard bushing to use with my dovetail jig. Works great.
I was thinking of buying this one https://www.amazon.ca/SKIL-RAS140-Templ ... B000HLIVGC as it looks like it might fit the Maximum, but it ships from the states and will probably take a while to get here.
Aug 23, 2012
56 posts
64 upvotes
Montreal
I puchased this router with masterpass deal 2 weeks ago, don't have change to use it yet, but looks ok for light home work.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3263 posts
3445 upvotes
Question for the avid woodworkers, if you were to choose between this one posted here, or the Ryobi https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... ____583694_

Which one would you go with, and why?
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.