Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM Fixed/Plunge Router $99.93 (maybe YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 3:36 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3398 posts
3513 upvotes
Vancouver
It says these are discontinued at my local store, and there are none at any CT in the vicinity.

The trouble I have with CT's revamped tool branding is that I no longer know which brand names are adequate quality and which are junk. Where is Maximum intended to fall in the spectrum? This router also boasts CT's "Tested" logo, which is normally an indicator of junk quality.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
48670 posts
5568 upvotes
Toronto
raskal wrote: I bought this on sale for $99.99 last year.
I kinda wish I had spent double the money on a DeWalt or similar.
The machine is fine, but the crappy template bushing is unique to this router and they don't provide any plate to use anyone else's bushings. I'm going to have to make a new plate out of Lexan. Also, the single bushing they do give, is not centered on the collet, so it's essentially useless.
You can probably claim it as defective and return it and get store credit back at CT.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3258 posts
3441 upvotes
uman wrote: I think the Maxium for $99 or $149 is a better value if you can still find it.
I got the Ryobi one for 69$. What makes the Maximum one better?
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Apr 6, 2003
400 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
PriceHunter wrote: I got the Ryobi one for 69$. What makes the Maximum one better?
How did you manage to get it for $69?
Nov 30, 2008
213 posts
177 upvotes
Oro-Medonte
PriceHunter wrote: I got the Ryobi one for 69$. What makes the Maximum one better?
That's a pretty good price but the Maximum is better for several reasons.
1. Comes with fixed base and plunge base, plunge base is more useful but there are times when a fixed base has benefits
2. Cylindrical body, makes it much easier to fit the router into homemade or purchased tables and other 'machines'
3. Additional accessories such as dust port and edge guide which seem to be missing in the Ryobi
4. LEDs, not mentioned on the Ryobi but are there on the Maximum and can be useful
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3258 posts
3441 upvotes
uman wrote: How did you manage to get it for $69?
They had it on clearance, last piece at HD.
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2480 posts
1086 upvotes
solarfish wrote: That's a pretty good price but the Maximum is better for several reasons.
1. Comes with fixed base and plunge base, plunge base is more useful but there are times when a fixed base has benefits
2. Cylindrical body, makes it much easier to fit the router into homemade or purchased tables and other 'machines'
3. Additional accessories such as dust port and edge guide which seem to be missing in the Ryobi
4. LEDs, not mentioned on the Ryobi but are there on the Maximum and can be useful
like mounting into a router table.

A heavy router which can't be mounted into a table and has no guide!!! Is the Ryobi even designed for woodworking?
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Aug 21, 2011
101 posts
47 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: It says these are discontinued at my local store, and there are none at any CT in the vicinity.

The trouble I have with CT's revamped tool branding is that I no longer know which brand names are adequate quality and which are junk. Where is Maximum intended to fall in the spectrum? This router also boasts CT's "Tested" logo, which is normally an indicator of junk quality.
I think it goes Maximum>Mastercraft>Certified, may be missing a sub brand though.

The Tested logo just means they sent the product to a group of people to test/leave reviews, you see it on a lot of products
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3398 posts
3513 upvotes
Vancouver
nico29 wrote: I think it goes Maximum>Mastercraft>Certified, may be missing a sub brand though.

The Tested logo just means they sent the product to a group of people to test/leave reviews, you see it on a lot of products
It would be easy to assume that Maximum is the best, but from what little CT has written about it, it seems more like Maximum branding is supposed to eventually replace Mastercraft as they rejuggle their branding for obscure reasons.

As for "Tested", it basically seems to mean exactly that - it was tested by somebody with no particular qualifications, and apparently didn't kill them. It seems to appear if they can't think of anything else good to say about the product. :)