• Jul 27th, 2020 5:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5304 posts
4820 upvotes
Toronto

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM Impact 6pt Socket Set, 48-pc - $79.99

Even with the CT inflated pricing, this looks like a good deal on their Maximum line of impact sockets, bits and a driver too:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp
FEATURES

MAXIMUM Impact Socket Set offers premium brand durability and performance
Includes both deep and regular sockets in both SAE and metric
SAE units include: 9 deep sockets (3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8"), 8 regular sockets (3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 15/16")
Metric units include: 13 deep sockets (8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24 mm), and 9 regular sockets (10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21 mm)
Includes 4 impact bits Phillips (#2, 3, 4), slotted 5/16", 1/2"-drive 6" extension bar, 1/2"-drive universal-joint, 1/2" female to 3/8" male adapter, 1/2"-drive impact driver, impact bit adapter, and metal carrying case
46 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1045 posts
210 upvotes
Can this be used with a drill or do you need an impact driver?
Jul 31, 2009
512 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
kendorama wrote: Can this be used with a drill or do you need an impact driver?
They can be used on a drill/driver but will work best with an impact wrench
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2317 posts
323 upvotes
NB
I’m looking for a general/basic set to use around the house. Are there better options?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1906 posts
1774 upvotes
Colin0317 wrote: I’m looking for a general/basic set to use around the house. Are there better options?
By around the house you are referring to vehicles then it's a good set with sizes to cover pretty much any nut/bolt you'll encounter. You still need an impact gun as otherwise you may as well just use a drill/driver with an adapter and regular sockets.
Oct 19, 2004
914 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
[...]

I personally went with the socket rails version of these when they were on sale last week, so that I could get every single size. The main advantage with this is the storage case. Otherwise, just buy the socket rails when they go on sale (which is very often with CT).
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 19th, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: part of post removed/thread was cleaned up
Mar 4, 2013
54 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Colin0317 wrote: I’m looking for a general/basic set to use around the house. Are there better options?
There are far better options for doing general work around the house. These sockets are designed for the stresses associated with impact tools. They tend to be heavier and are 1/2" drive instead of the 3/8" or 1/4" drive you would normally use for around the house.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7309 posts
3893 upvotes
Debtario
Excellent set, though I only use the deep sockets and don't use my impact gun as much as I thought I would. Still has just about everything and has come in handy.

FYI - This is pretty much the normal price for CT, this "sale" comes around very frequently. I paid the same price for it 3 years ago.

I see the mods have "cleaned up" the boycott china talk. Nice.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7187 posts
7684 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't know what to expect from CT brands any more since their brand marketing division started playing with the traditional brands like Mastercraft. Their "Tested" logo seems to translate to "pure junk". "MAXIMUM" might be a replacement for Mastercraft or an attempt to narrow it to pro-quality tools? But who knows, it may be random marketing. Obviously you can't judge based on "regular price", which is wildly exaggerated (aka completely false) for every sale item.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5398 posts
4862 upvotes
BC
Scote64 wrote: I don't know what to expect from CT brands any more since their brand marketing division started playing with the traditional brands like Mastercraft. Their "Tested" logo seems to translate to "pure junk". "MAXIMUM" might be a replacement for Mastercraft or an attempt to narrow it to pro-quality tools? But who knows, it may be random marketing. Obviously you can't judge based on "regular price", which is wildly exaggerated (aka completely false) for every sale item.
The Tested for Life in Canada program as I have been told is a group of people that CT sends free items to in exchange for "honest" reviews. As long the people receiving these items post positive reviews, the freebies keep coming. If they start posting too many or too harsh negative reviews however, CT will inform them that they no longer require their services and they will move on to the next person on the wait list.
Last edited by SizzleChest on Jul 19th, 2020 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12649 posts
7775 upvotes
Markham
SizzleChest wrote: The Tested for Life in Canada program as I have been told is a group of people that CT sends items to in exchange for "honest" reviews. As long the people receiving these items post positive reviews, the freebies keep coming. If they start posting too many or too harsh negative reviews however, CT will inform them that they no longer require their services and they will move on to the next person on the wait list.
Remind me of another online platform:)
Jun 6, 2019
162 posts
268 upvotes
does this set have the sizes for the small fasteners like lag bolts for building decks?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1075 posts
912 upvotes
desstiny wrote: does this set have the sizes for the small fasteners like lag bolts for building decks?
Metric sizes cover from 8mm to 24mm so you should be good.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5398 posts
4862 upvotes
BC
desstiny wrote: does this set have the sizes for the small fasteners like lag bolts for building decks?
Most lag bolts require a 1/2" socket, so yes.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21011 posts
5592 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
ENT463 wrote: There are far better options for doing general work around the house. These sockets are designed for the stresses associated with impact tools. They tend to be heavier and are 1/2" drive instead of the 3/8" or 1/4" drive you would normally use for around the house.

Not going to disagree here. But there could be value in 'future proofing' because impact sockets and bits work just fine with non-impact tools.

Maybe in the future you'll buy impact tools, and it be a shame to have to re-buy all these sockets and such.
- casual gastronomist -
Mar 4, 2013
54 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: Not going to disagree here. But there could be value in 'future proofing' because impact sockets and bits work just fine with non-impact tools.

Maybe in the future you'll buy impact tools, and it be a shame to have to re-buy all these sockets and such.
Standard sockets work fine for pretty much everything except for _some_ automotive work. I've had both for years and the only time I pull out the impacts are for problematic suspension bolts and the like. If you don't already have a regular socket set, I'd spring for that first.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2154 posts
609 upvotes
Nova Scotia
lol at the thread derail over someone saying they don't want a COUNTRY'S goods, i.e. China, and being called racist. Really? Last I checked China is a country and not a race. I guess you can't be "racist" to countries without a majority race population. The poster didn't say "I want to avoid any Asiatic made goods". Come on dude, this kind of commentary is what makes the far left look so stupid.

Meanwhile, thanks OP for the post. Even if MADE IN CHINA I think I'll bite the bullet at $80 for this set, got some giftcards for CT sitting around.
Jun 20, 2007
113 posts
50 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Not going to disagree here. But there could be value in 'future proofing' because impact sockets and bits work just fine with non-impact tools.

While I would normally agree with your statement, impact sockets are one thing where I might advocate having both a non-impact set and an impact set.

The impact sockets tend to be quite a bit heavier, with thicker sidewalls to the socket itself to prevent the socket from shearing / shattering under the stresses. This may mean that in some applications, such as if it's a recessed bolt, an impact socket may not fit, while a regular socket might.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21011 posts
5592 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Fireball wrote: The impact sockets tend to be quite a bit heavier, with thicker sidewalls to the socket itself to prevent the socket from shearing / shattering under the stresses. This may mean that in some applications, such as if it's a recessed bolt, an impact socket may not fit, while a regular socket might.
True enough. I also have regular and impact socket sets. But I didn't know about impact sockets back when I got the regular set.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
19389 posts
5609 upvotes
Scarberia
i assume these don't work good if i also need to use a lugnut key socket as well?

my setup: 1/4 impact driver(rated at 150lbs ft), weak 1.50ah battery > 1/4 hex adapter to 1/2 hex shank > 13/16 sae deep socket impact > lugnut key socket ====> cannot remove 80lb ft torque lugz/rims lol
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)